Overseas on MSC Ships - The experience

Explorer525

What is it like to leave from an overseas port compared to the ships that leave from Miami and Port Canaveral?  I guess there are many languages spoken, but what other differences are there?  I would guess that they have excursions in many different languages.  What is ship life like for an english speaking passenger.

Edited by Explorer525

• Explorer525 changed the title to Overseas on MSC Ships - The experience

Hi. We're English speakers with very limited other language skills. We've enjoyed 10 European cruises, including one Dubai and one Norwegian Fjords cruise. On a European cruise, dominant nationality would be Italian, Spanish and a mixture of others with quite a few English speakers, brits, Irish, Americans etc. Announcements are multi lingual which some people find irritating but there aren't many. Shows avoid dialogue so much juggling and gymnastics alongside the singing. Food tends to be more European, lots of pasta and Greek dishes with only nods to hearty steak and potatoes based dishes. We noticed a difference when we sailed the Caribbean. Fellow passengers, particularly Italian and Spanish guests, tend to travel in larger, family groups which can get noisy at times. Excursions are usually offered in English but these can be cancelled if there are not enough booked on them. Overall, I enjoy cruises in Europe but loved the Caribbean cruise. I'm sure you will have no issues with language. Ken 

• Like 2

I think the biggest difference is related to onboard activities. I think there are fewer than in the US - the clientele doesn't want a rip roaring Carnival-style cruise. Europeans seem to like a more relaxing experience and like to be pampered. This is my view having lived in Germany for 7 years but there are so many different cultures it's hard to lump them together certainly.

I like the food better - but be prepared to see some food items you haven't heard of or tasted before - nothing crazy of course but some unique dishes which is fun. 

The announcements really are irritating, but they don't make announcements as much as other lines I've sailed on. But it really is just a minor inconvenience (if your cruise is ruined by announcements, then.... that's on you). 

There are plenty of people who do not speak English which surprises me. Many Spanish and Italian passengers do not speak English, but I am comparing it to Germany. I think all the staff speaks English - I have seen more struggles between passengers and some staff who do not speak Spanish or Italian. Europeans are used to many languages so no one gets angry at you for not speaking their language - people find a way to make it work. 

Anyway, in the end, the differences are minor. I like going on vacation and hearing all these different languages and meeting people from different places so it is a perfect cruise for me. Like I said, you will find fewer activities on European cruises, and that's the biggest difference. Be prepared to relax ... and eat! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Explorer525 said:

What is it like to leave from an overseas port compared to the ships that leave from Miami and Port Canaveral?  I guess there are many languages spoken, but what other differences are there?  I would guess that they have excursions in many different languages.  What is ship life like for an english speaking passenger.

Have been all over the world on 6 continents so far and the replies so far are spot on.

The only thing I would add is take a close look at which cruise line you book.

If you book an American company like RCCL, CCL, or NCL English will be primary but you will get all the other languages as well.

Book one of the many others and you will find another language primary.

We used to think all the language announcements were anoying but not anymore.

We used to listen till it was our turn. Spend a couple weeks where there is no English and you have a different perspective. 

• Like 2

Agree with above posters... all spot on

We love the announcements in multi languages--  wakes up the brain 😉

We did a Baltics sailing which has continued to be one of our favs...sailing out of Southampton

By far was  it one of the most fun sailings-- both being port intensive and the pax were a hearty mix of folks from EU and UK. Only speaking with folks from Wales was I very confused as some dialect words mean I need translation

While english is our first language, we have lived in Europe and still retain some others so it is nice when we get time to practice with other pax

When sailing the US/caribbean-- we did a b2b and the cruises felt very different-- one was heavy EU/UK folks and one was heavy American. Different pace and tone to each sailing. Really just brilliant to experience. 

Sailing a TA we had a mix and when we organized private tours with other CCers..enjoyed meeting folks from a variety of places.

Sailing the southern caribbean at Christmas we had a ship with lots of kids and many large groups of families. Agreed they can be loud--and varying cultures have varying parenting styles....

Edited by Fogfog

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Sailing the southern caribbean at Christmas we had a ship with lots of kids and many large groups of families. Agreed they can be loud--and varying cultures have varying parenting styles....

I find that all of our MSC cruises had large family groups of internationals (not USA or Canada.) 

Two years ago, we did a western Med MSC Grandiosa cruise followed by a Eastern Med on NCL Spirit. Grandiosa was brand new, one-third of the passengers were from mainland China, and they overwhelmed the ship. Of course, the other 2/3rds were predominantly Europeans. I felt like everyone treated one another as invisible people. No smiles (not something standard in Europe), greetings, etc.

As was mentioned above, there are very few traditional, social activities onboard.

The older and smaller Spirit cruise was largely American, Canadian, and English passengers, friendly and so comfortable. We enjoyed everything about this cruise so much more.

So, if you want other passengers to leave you alone on a cruise, and some people do, you will enjoy MSC in Europe. And like Fogfog said, parenting styles differ greatly.

We did a MSC sailing in the Baltic this past August and a MSC sailing in the Persian Gulf last month. As mentioned, all announcements are in 5 languages (6 on the last cruise due to a lot of Russians on board). I generally love it but it became annoying on this last cruise because they had to announce detailed changes to the Qatar stop and thus the announcements were LONG and repeated several times. On both cruises, very very few Americans on board but plenty of Brits. I highly recommend the European non-Americanized experience.