fly into Seattle, drive to Vancouver???

kdvolfan

The flights cost a lot less to fly into Seattle vs. Vancouver. We are considering flying into Seattle, exploring a little, then driving up to Vancouver the morning of the cruise. Since our bodies will still be on East Coast time, we can head out of Seattle very EARLY that morning. I'm finding that car rental for the day with drop off in Vancouver is over $400!! Am I missing something or is this a bad idea? I value your opinions and experience. thanks

We're flying r/t Seattle, as well, but our trip starts in Fairbanks (land portion; going by Alaska Air) and the cruise ends in Vancouver. We've been considering the 6 pm train to Seattle. We have a room booked near the airport, and our flight leaves early the next morning.

But now you've peaked my curiousity. I did a search on Travelocity, found a Hertz intermediate for $110--pick up in Vancouver and drop off at SeaTac. That's not bad. At least we could store our luggage in the car while doing a little sightseeing.

Does anyone know if Hertz has a shuttle from Canada Place (assuming, of course, that's where our ship will dock) to their car lot? It's only about 1/4 mile away, but I'm sure we don't want to haul our luggage that far.

BTW, we're sailing on the Sapphire Princess. Do they dock at Canada Place?

Thanks,

You might want to consider Amtrak - we are taking the early train out of Seattle at 7:45AM, into Vancouver at 11:40AM, the day before our cruise. For the 2 of us it is $74.00, because we upgraded to business class. I guess it would depend on when your cruise leaves (the day you are traveling)......

We decided on Amtrak too and also upgraded to business class - $24 per person one way. Then we will fly home from Anchorage...

If you haven't been to Vancouver you could go up there for some or part of your pre-cruise :D

The flights cost a lot less to fly into Seattle vs. Vancouver. We are considering flying into Seattle, exploring a little, then driving up to Vancouver the morning of the cruise. Since our bodies will still be on East Coast time, we can head out of Seattle very EARLY that morning. I'm finding that car rental for the day with drop off in Vancouver is over $400!! Am I missing something or is this a bad idea? I value your opinions and experience. thanks

I'm reverse as I live in Vancouver but fly out of Seattle a lot, for cheaper fares to travel within the U.S. I am not sure I'm allowed to pass the link onto you in this forum, but we use "Quick Shuttle". (Hope that's allowed! :) ) The shuttle from Seattle would drop you off at the cruise piers during May to Sept. When we go, we usually leave here first pickup, around 6am to make a noon flight at SeaTac. Costs about $40 one way per/person. I get the entertainment book to get 2 for 1 fares...so it costs us about $80 without the hassle of driving, for two of us - return trip. I have encountered "once" where people on the bus got delayed crossing the border, but the bus leaves without them, as they have a schedule to keep. Infact, if you want the coupon, let me know and I'll mail it to you. We are cruising out of Vancouver this year, so no trip to Seattle is necessary for me! :)

FYI (Cruisechick82): here's the link the Vancouver Port Schedule

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php

Last year we flew into Seattle and spent a couple of days there. We drove up to Vancouver the morning of the cruise. We didn't have any problems getting across the border. We check our luggage for the cruise and then dropped off the rental car. We had a short walk to the ship. The hardest part was finding where to drop off the car. We had past the drop off place and had to go back around. This was difficult because you can't make lefts at all the streets and traffic was crazy. The cost for the car was reasonable. We had four people so it would have been more for us to take another form of transportation.

IIRC???? I was looking on Orbitz, pickup at SeaTac airport 9/15, drop off at Canada Place 9/16.

IIRC=if I recall correctly.

I was able to find flights into Vancouver so no longer need a car rental.

But I had originally looked into renting a van or SUV in Seattle (we're a large family) to drop off at the pier in Vancouver...and I was quoted $125-$135 by either Budget or Thrifty car rental. This was for July.

I went directly through their websites, so YMMV (your mileage may vary).

For Amtrak, add at least $35+++ for cabs to/from Seatac and Canada Place.

As for car rentals. Easy to walk to the DOWNTOWN offices in Vancouver without luggage or mobility limitations, then either drop off or pick up passengers, by driving right down to Canada Place. I have rented from Avis, Budget, Alamo and National , Hertz also has cars, I go with the cheapest.

Archived