Conquest review: January 3-7, 2022

DramaQueen22

After getting one of those "offer you can't refuse" deals, I booked a solo cruise on the Conquest.  DH and I spent 8 lovely days on the Horizon in October, but he wasn't able to take this week off.  I originally booked an Inside on Deck 2, but later received an upgrade offer to a balcony on Deck 8, which I took.

I flew in from Philadelphia on January 3.  Normally I like to head down the night before, but not possible this trip.  Anyway, there was bad weather forecast for the area, so I was a bit worried.  My flight got out about 40 minutes before they started delays and cancellations.  Phew!  Arrived on time in Miami, collected my luggage, then headed to the port shuttle bus.  Absolutely no line at the terminal when we got there.  Had to wait about 10 minutes before they called my boarding group, and was onboard before 11am.

Let me share some of my thoughts and impressions...

FOOD AND DRINKS:  Overall very good across the board.  Main dining was good, as was the service throughout.  Guys Burgers always delicious!  The Sea Day Brunch and Tea Time are two of my favorites and they did not disappoint.  Lido Buffett also very good with lots of varied choices each meal.  Lindsdell at Alchemy was great.  He remembered my name each night and was just a sweetheart.  Drinks there are my favorite.  I also enjoyed wine in the MDR each night, and  more than a few mojitos by the pool.  

CABIN:  I was in 8445 on the starboard side (last balcony on the side).  I liked the open feel of the cabin itself, and the balcony was a great place to sit when I wanted quiet time on my own.  Only drawback was the VERY loud toddler in the room next door.  I swear that kid had no inside voice!  I love aft cabins in general, so this was great.

PORTS:  Nassau and Half Moon Cay.  I've been to Nassau multiple times, so I did not get off the ship that day.  Half Moon Cay is gorgeous!  Perfect beach day.  I heard folks saying the drinks were  more expensive than onboard and the bbq lunch was sub-par.  The tendering process does take a while, so be prepared for that.

ONBOARD ACTIVITIES:  The Fun Squad was great on this trip.  Addy the Trivia Host was a lot of fun!  I enjoyed playing on the Nassau Day...no ship on a stick to show for it though!  Playlist Productions are Epic Rock and 80s Pop to the Max.  LOVED Epic Rock!  The 80's show was good too, I just preferred the other one personally.  Rev. Dr E was our cruise director.  He is fantastic (way better than Donkey on the Horizon imho)!  Shopping not great...the Effy Store was lackluster and the salespeople a bit pushy.  

My only real issue with the trip is a minor one.  I purchased some whiskey for my husband at the Fun Shops, and had to pick it up on debark morning.  I prefer it being delivered to my cabin the night before so that I can safely pack it for my flight home.  I had to open my suitcase in the terminal and put the bottle in before leaving.  Kind of a pain!

Overall, a fun and relaxing few days.  And really, any day on a ship is pretty much better than a day anywhere else!  Questions...just ask!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for posting your review.   The Conquest is one of my favorite Carnival ships.

We cruised on the Horizon in November last year and couldn't even get near the Alchemy bar, it was always packed.   We did, however, eat and drink at Guy Fieri's Smokehouse/Brewhouse and they have a great bar in the Smokehouse. 

On this cruise, the only night we ate in the MDR was the first night...the food was mediocre and the wait staff discombobulated.  Also, the Horizon dining rooms do not have booth seating and it was so noisy we couldn't even hear ourselves speak from across the  table.  Because we ate all our meals in the Lido buffet or other food venues, we had more time to explore the ship, watched two movies on the Seaside theater screen and another movie at the Imax theater. 

Thanks again for posting, it's great to read about different experiences and even for experienced cruisers, there is always something to gain from reading people's experiences and there is always a takeaway from it.

Edited by tattoos
correct grammar
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 11:39 AM, tattoos said:

Thanks so much for posting your review.   The Conquest is one of my favorite Carnival ships.

We cruised on the Horizon in November last year and couldn't even get near the Alchemy bar, it was always packed.   We did, however, eat and drink at Guy Fieri's Smokehouse/Brewhouse and they have a great bar in the Smokehouse. 

On this cruise, the only night we ate in the MDR was the first night...the food was mediocre and the wait staff discombobulated.  Also, the Horizon dining rooms do not have booth seating and it was so noisy we couldn't even hear ourselves speak from across the  table.  Because we ate all our meals in the Lido buffet or other food venues, we had more time to explore the ship, watched two movies on the Seaside theater screen and another movie at the Imax theater. 

Thanks again for posting, it's great to read about different experiences and even for experienced cruisers, there is always something to gain from reading people's experiences and there is always a takeaway from it.

I love the Horizon!  But you are right, Alchemy is typically very crowded there.  I didn't notice the sound issue in the MDR, but that may  be because we did your time dining.  

Happy memories.  The Conquest is one of my favorites, and I've always done it solo.  It's one of my favorite ships for decor.  Conquest was cancelled cruise #2 and #3 for me last year.  Or was it two years ago now?  

Glad to read your review.  I am sailing o her solo February 14th.  This makes me feel so much better.  I got an offer yesterday for an upgrade to a suite, which I took.  Excited to be in a suite.  I had leftover FCC which was given to me as an on board credit that I was able to use for the upgrade.  So instead of having 891 for OBC I now  have 635 OBC