Travel to French Polynesia

Northern Swan

Has anyone recently cruised the French Polynesian islands? We had planned a cruise in March 2020 on Paul Gauguin that was rescheduled to 2021 and is now scheduled to depart in March 2022.  

I am wondering if there are any Canadian cruisers who have been to French Polynesia (FP) recently and can comment on the ease (or challenges) of getting there and back. Since we will have a layover in the U.S. each way, we have to meet the entry regulations of both the U.S and FP which (as of today) means each person has to take 3-5 Covid tests over the duration of the trip.  The number varies depending on the timing of the tests and those requirements could change between now and March.  

Thoughts/comments from folks who have travelled to FP from Canada - or are planning to - are appreciated.

Edited by Northern Swan
Clarity.

We did this trip in spring 2019. I am not a good long distance flier, so we opted to do a 28 day Princess cruise. It was so worth doing! The scenery of each Island and the colour of the water everywhere was like nothing I have ever seen before or since. The soft breezes everywhere, the musical sounds of the natives speaking........ all just seemed beautiful and magical. It is a trip worth the hassles. On the other hand, perhaps experiencing it with no extra worries would be better.  But if you are able to go, definitely GO!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gubby said:

We did this trip in spring 2019. I am not a good long distance flier, so we opted to do a 28 day Princess cruise. It was so worth doing! The scenery of each Island and the colour of the water everywhere was like nothing I have ever seen before or since. The soft breezes everywhere, the musical sounds of the natives speaking........ all just seemed beautiful and magical. It is a trip worth the hassles. On the other hand, perhaps experiencing it with no extra worries would be better.  But if you are able to go, definitely GO!

since the larger cruise ships are no longer allowed in Bora Bora, do you still think the cruise is worth doing without that port?  I would still go, but my sister is on the fence since she really chose the cruise because Bora Bora is on her bucket list. She doesn’t do well with long flights either, so cruising out of Tahiti is not feasible. 

For sure BORA Bora is a highlight, but Tahiti, Moorea, and Raiita are also gorgeous. I was unaware that BORA, Bora was no longer on the itinerary. What about a TP  to Australia/NZ. Will it visit any Tahitian islands? Glad we bit the bullet and went when we did. That is the downside to this as far as travel goes. Not getting any younger and we have lost over 2 years. I am happy we have stayed healthy though.

• Like 1

It’s been awhile, but my experience was wonderful. Long flight- air Canada from TO. To LA. Air Tahiti Nui to Papette Tahiti. Same return with one night in LA each way 

Others went by Air France  

Meridian hotel Tahiti for 3 nights.  Tahitian princess cruise Tahiti French Polynesia & Cook Islands 

Others flew to spend a week on another island after the cruise 

excursion with Marc, Bruno were highlights. 
also a hilltop fondu restaurant one night in Papette was great 

the islands are so beautiful, the water crystal clear. 
hope you get to experience it