Changing your cabin yourself?

halos

Hi

I've cruised for a lot of years but only recently been booking direct through NCL and using a cruise consultant. I wanted to book a certain cabin that is showing (on my end) to be available and has been showing that it is available for days. She is insisting that it's NOT available. Anyway, I have a cabin booked and she told me if I wanted to keep an eye out, if I see a cabin I'd like to switch to, I don't need to call (*and bother*) her but can do it myself on NCL's website if I just pull up my reservation.

Well, I checked and I'm not tech savvy so I may be missing something here but I cannot find a way to do this. Has anyone done this? is it possible to change my cabin myself? If I can, can one of you lovely, kind people explain to me how to do this?? 

Thanks in advance  🙂

33 minutes ago, julig22 said:

The only way I know of to grab a specific cabin is to do a mock booking (put reservation on hold) and then call my PCC.  You can't do it yourself as far as I know.   That's what your PCC gets paid for.....

I'm going to have to pull the plug on this CC. I have several cruises booked with her. I tried once before to call a different one and they saw that I typically use this particular one and they referred me back to her out of a sense of not wanting to step on each others toes....but this is not the first time I've had an issue. I'm gonna have to find a way to break up with her  

1 hour ago, halos said:

I'm going to have to pull the plug on this CC. I have several cruises booked with her. I tried once before to call a different one and they saw that I typically use this particular one and they referred me back to her out of a sense of not wanting to step on each others toes....but this is not the first time I've had an issue. I'm gonna have to find a way to break up with her  

You might try asking for a supervisor and explaining that you simply prefer to have a different PCC.

Otherwise, each individual PCC may have the same conflict about not wanting to appear to poach clients, etc.

Also, IF you find a way to change a cabin/suite after the booking is made, please do post it here.
The only way to "change" that I am aware of at this point is before the booking is confirmed, while one is still in the process of making the reservation.  The new website makes this a bit more tedious than before.  One must first find the little place to "select a different ..." and *then* one can see the choices.  IIRC, that used to be available sooner, and at least wasn't difficult to find.

GC

Update:

So I decided to just call the 800 number for assistance. I explained to the person who answered that I wanted to change my cabin and was told by my CC that I could do it myself and that it seemed very strange to me AND if that it was possible, I needed help because I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I made it clear I was having some issue with the CC and just wanted to validate that the cabin I wanted was indeed unavailable. The woman told me to hold and then literally connected me with my CC :classic_rolleyes:

So, now I'm stuck talking to my CC I again told her that I wanted this cabin and I see it as available and I was trying to change the cabin myself however THAT is impossible.

What do you know...she suddenly finds the cabin I want IS available.

So...I have it.

Just to be clear this is for a spring 2023 sailing. There are a TON of cabins available. Very weird how every one I mentioned to her was 'already taken'

anyway, it's fixed and it shouldn't have had to take so much time. Thanks to everyone for your responses. I appreciate them. 👍❤️

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

The only way to "change" that I am aware of at this point is before the booking is confirmed, while one is still in the process of making the reservation.  

GC

I was trying to change it after the booking was totally confirmed as that is when the PCC told me I'd be able to do it. Obviously she is misinformed...or lied.

Perhaps, IF you were logged into your account at the time, and had the room selected, it truly was unavailable for her to see as available.

We've had that happen.  PCC asked us to log-out of the account to see if it would go back into inventory.  After approximately 15 minutes, she called us back to let us know she had been able to change our room and sent us new documents!

5 hours ago, julig22 said:

The only way I know of to grab a specific cabin is to do a mock booking (put reservation on hold) and then call my PCC.  You can't do it yourself as far as I know.   That's what your PCC gets paid for.....

6 hours ago, halos said:

Hi

I've cruised for a lot of years but only recently been booking direct through NCL and using a cruise consultant. I wanted to book a certain cabin that is showing (on my end) to be available and has been showing that it is available for days. She is insisting that it's NOT available. Anyway, I have a cabin booked and she told me if I wanted to keep an eye out, if I see a cabin I'd like to switch to, I don't need to call (*and bother*) her but can do it myself on NCL's website if I just pull up my reservation.

Well, I checked and I'm not tech savvy so I may be missing something here but I cannot find a way to do this. Has anyone done this? is it possible to change my cabin myself? If I can, can one of you lovely, kind people explain to me how to do this?? 

Thanks in advance  🙂

A few years ago we had a 7 days cruise booked on the Epic in a regular balcony cabin. A few days before the sailing date I noticed when doing mock bookings that there was only one Haven Spa Suite left and that the price was just a little more than what we had already paid for our regular baclony cabin. So of course called my PCC right away and asked to purchase the upgrade. She said "No, sorry, it is not available". I gave her the cabin number and she double checked and told me that unfortunately it showed as "occupied" in the system. The conlusion then was that somebody else just reserved it at the same time. 

Well, I checked again a couple of hours later, it still showed one Haven Spa Suite available at that amazingly good price. So called my PCC again. This time she was out for lunch, som I just sent her an e-mail instead. When she came back to her office and checked, the Haven Spa Suite was indeed available. 

The explanation for it to be showed as not available in her booking system was that each time I had done a mock booking, and the LAST Haven Spa Suite was automatically put on "hold" and stayed like that for 15-30 minutes - even if I logged out of my NCL-account. When it finally became available to book in her system, it was more than 30 min since my last "mock booking"... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

A few years ago we had a 7 days cruise booked on the Epic in a regular balcony cabin. A few days before the sailing date I noticed when doing mock bookings that there was only one Haven Spa Suite left and that the price was just a little more than what we had already paid for our regular baclony cabin. So of course called my PCC right away and asked to purchase the upgrade. She said "No, sorry, it is not available". I gave her the cabin number and she double checked and told me that unfortunately it showed as "occupied" in the system. The conlusion then was that somebody else just reserved it at the same time. 

Well, I checked again a couple of hours later, it still showed one Haven Spa Suite available at that amazingly good price. So called my PCC again. This time she was out for lunch, som I just sent her an e-mail instead. When she came back to her office and checked, the Haven Spa Suite was indeed available. 

The explanation for it to be showed as not available in her booking system was that each time I had done a mock booking, and the LAST Haven Spa Suite was automatically put on "hold" and stayed like that for 15-30 minutes - even if I logged out of my NCL-account. When it finally became available to book in her system, it was more than 30 min since my last "mock booking"... 

OMG, the same thing happened to us when trying to book a large balcony on the Epic many years ago. My mock booking must have locked the room. Our PCC called a supervisor and they couldn't do anything about it until it was released. We stayed on the phone and when the room became available we were able to book it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Otherwise, each individual PCC may have the same conflict about not wanting to appear to poach clients, etc.

For a while I was receiving almost daily calls from a number of different PCCs all apparently trying to poach someone else's client. Those have stopped and the original PCC isn't returning my calls!

I recently booked a cruise direct on the NCL website. A cabin number appeared on the booking screen forcing me to book that room. Pre-covid all available cabin numbers appeared allowing you to choose which cabin you wanted. In order to change my cabin number I had to call NCL and they were able to change it for me. Apparently, with the covid situation and ships being partially full, this option to choose a specific cabin has been removed from the website. I was informed that once cruising is returned to 'normal' we will be able to select a cabin once again.

Also if someone else is booking the same cruise as you at the same time, a cabin will be locked out until that booking is completed. If that is the case, try calling NCL back at a later time and the cabin may have opened up.

47 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

I recently booked a cruise direct on the NCL website. A cabin number appeared on the booking screen forcing me to book that room. Pre-covid all available cabin numbers appeared allowing you to choose which cabin you wanted. In order to change my cabin number I had to call NCL and they were able to change it for me. Apparently, with the covid situation and ships being partially full, this option to choose a specific cabin has been removed from the website. I was informed that once cruising is returned to 'normal' we will be able to select a cabin once again.

Also if someone else is booking the same cruise as you at the same time, a cabin will be locked out until that booking is completed. If that is the case, try calling NCL back at a later time and the cabin may have opened up.

Finding a "different cabin number" from the one initially "offered" while booking is definitely not as easy or obvious as it was previously.  However, in some (most?) cases, there is "fine print" below that offers a "click here for a different cabin/suite number" type of choice.  If one clicks there, *then* one finds the old-style format where one can see other choices, including on other decks, although it's still much clunkier than previously.

It was much better before...

GC

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Finding a "different cabin number" from the one initially "offered" while booking is definitely not as easy or obvious as it was previously.  However, in some (most?) cases, there is "fine print" below that offers a "click here for a different cabin/suite number" type of choice.  If one clicks there, *then* one finds the old-style format where one can see other choices, including on other decks, although it's still much clunkier than previously.

It was much better before...

GC

I actually did click on the "different cabin" choice but a list of available cabins did not appear. The only option I received was to select a different cabin category and not a different cabin within the Haven cabin category I selected. Perhaps NCL has revised their website since then as I was told many people complained about losing this option.

33 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

I actually did click on the "different cabin" choice but a list of available cabins did not appear. The only option I received was to select a different cabin category and not a different cabin within the Haven cabin category I selected. Perhaps NCL has revised their website since then as I was told many people complained about losing this option.

Two minutes ago I actually tried to make a mock booking on ncl.com for a 7 days cruise on the Epic, and it automatically showed one cabin number being "highlighted" and then 14 other cabins listed up below the highlighted number, so actually gave me 15 cabins to choose from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrumpyNor said:

Two minutes ago I actually tried to make a mock booking on ncl.com for a 7 days cruise on the Epic, and it automatically showed one cabin number being "highlighted" and then 14 other cabins listed up below the highlighted number, so actually gave me 15 cabins to choose from. 

Thanks for the update. I guess too many people complained and they fixed it.