How to set up a meet & greet?

Little Rascal

1 hour ago, Little Rascal said:

Can someone tell me how to set up a meet and greet?  We have a cruise coming up and no one has mentioned one. 

Yes, Viking has stopped the Meet & Greets since the March 2020 shutdown and there is no indication of when they might start up.  It would not surprise me if we are looking at 2023 at least.

Viking also is stating that people should not gather socially in groups of more than 6 while on the ship.  This is especially important with the new Omicron variant, which spreads so easily, even among vaccinated people.

Likely if you do a private Meet & Greet, you may be going against Viking's stated policies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, Viking has stopped the Meet & Greets since the March 2020 shutdown and there is no indication of when they might start up.  It would not surprise me if we are looking at 2023 at least.

Viking also is stating that people should not gather socially in groups of more than 6 while on the ship.  This is especially important with the new Omicron variant, which spreads so easily, even among vaccinated people.

Likely if you do a private Meet & Greet, you may be going against Viking's stated policies.

On the roll call I was told that one of the members set one up for the cruise after mine. Feb 12, 2022. That’s why I was asking. 

7 hours ago, Little Rascal said:

On the roll call I was told that one of the members set one up for the cruise after mine. Feb 12, 2022. That’s why I was asking. 

Would guess its privately set up on the roll call.  If so Viking staff may ask any gatherings over 6 people to break up as i saw it happen on our 2021 cruises.  We did see a family group of 7 being able to have drinks together and another group of 8 traveling together able to dine at the same table but not random groups of strangers.

• Like 2

On one of the "welcome back" cruises this last summer someone arranged a "get together" of about 30+ from a FB group and there was quite a backlash.  It did seem ill advised, especially when one of the group ended up ultmately being removed from the ship with a positive case of COVID.  May well be why Viking is a little firmer now about discouraging these get togethers.

• Like 3

One of the things I really miss  cruising during the pandemic.  Pre-pandemic, one signed up  through Cruise critic  from your roll call. If 25 folks sign up,, Cruise Critic and Viking would host a meat and greet.

Viking  would do  cocktails and appetizers. They were held in the Wintergarden  in the afternoon or  after  tea time. 

Something to look forward to once  we move through this pandemic. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Azulann said:

One of the things I really miss  cruising during the pandemic.  Pre-pandemic, one signed up  through Cruise critic  from your roll call. If 25 folks sign up,, Cruise Critic and Viking would host a meat and greet.

Viking  would do  cocktails and appetizers. They were held in the Wintergarden  in the afternoon or  after  tea time. 

Something to look forward to once  we move through this pandemic. 

I’ve always enjoyed them as well. I’ll call Viking and ask. Like I said they are having one on the cruise after mine set up by a passenger that is on our cruise as well I asked him but he never responded. 😏. If it’s only a small group and your social distanced I don’t see that as being any different than the dining room during meals. 

I find it very disturbing that some pax feel they are entitled to skirt or circumvent Viking's protocols. 

The "Live from the Orion" thread details the actions of a group who decided to do their own thing (one called it "going rogue") when faced with the minor inconvenience of no meet and greet, although the posts confirm they were very aware they were offside with ship protocol of no meet/greet - no gatherings over 6.

From posted pictures, while they were outside, there was a group of approximately 22 people in reasonably close proximity, about half unmasked.

There are enough risks that can negatively impact a cruise that are outside our control right now,  without people adding to them because they are piqued by a small social takeaway. I would hope to see people err on the side of caution at present and certainly to honor both the letter and the spirit of ship rules. 🍺🥌

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I find it very disturbing that some pax feel they are entitled to skirt or circumvent Viking's protocols. 

The "Live from the Orion" thread details the actions of a group who decided to do their own thing (one called it "going rogue") when faced with the minor inconvenience of no meet and greet, although the posts confirm they were very aware they were offside with ship protocol of no meet/greet - no gatherings over 6.

From posted pictures, while they were outside, there was a group of approximately 22 people in reasonably close proximity, about half unmasked.

There are enough risks that can negatively impact a cruise that are outside our control right now,  without people adding to them because they are piqued by a small social takeaway. I would hope to see people err on the side of caution at present and certainly to honor both the letter and the spirit of ship rules. 🍺🥌

Well said.

10 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Yes---I thought that was very disturbing considering the hoops we are all jumping through in order to board. 

I'm not hanging out near anybody---close contacts can be quarantined, or in some cases, disembarked.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:20 PM, Heidi13 said:

Well said.

I have not heard that you can only have groups of 6 people. Have I missed a email from Viking?  I have never skirted the rules. Someone on my sailing said he booked a meet & greet for the sailing that he’s on after our sailing. So if it’s against the rules then how did he get one set up?  If I wanted to break any rules I wouldn’t of asked the question. I really don’t understand why people are so nasty on social media. It’s very sad. 

9 hours ago, Little Rascal said:

I have not heard that you can only have groups of 6 people. Have I missed a email from Viking?  I have never skirted the rules. Someone on my sailing said he booked a meet & greet for the sailing that he’s on after our sailing. So if it’s against the rules then how did he get one set up?  If I wanted to break any rules I wouldn’t of asked the question. I really don’t understand why people are so nasty on social media. It’s very sad. 

Having re-read the thread, I certainly didn't get the impression that anyone provided a nasty response. You may not agree with or like the facts you received in response to your question, but I certainly wouldn't consider any of the responses as "Nasty"

You asked a question regarding Meet & Greets, which I answered and Kent provided further explanation, including the fact that they contravene Viking's Policies.

After another couple of responses, you indicated it's only a small group and you don't see a problem with contravening Viking's robust Health & Safety Policy, which was developed to both protect the pax & crew, and decrease the probability of cruises again being cancelled.

Rob provided a recent example from the Orion, where an unauthorised group gathering could have negatively impacted the status of infectious disease aboard the vessel, which the Master MUST report to the local authorities.

A number of regulars on the Viking Board have answered your initial question and provided supporting facts. 

• Like 3

They did not book a meet and greet via Viking---they are informally creating their own gathering.

I believe someone asked Viking to use a public space for such a gathering and they were told by Viking no more than 6 people may gather and they must socially distance and wear masks. 

I know on one cruise folks gathered outdoors to visit and posted photos with people not wearing masks or distancing.

There are several problems with the meet and greet. First---if it is done shortly after boarding, this is the time period of biggest risk of exposure to someone who picked up omicron during travel to the ship.

Risky to those who choose to gather.

But my bigger objection is that by choosing to do a meet and greet, you are putting everyone you go on an excursions with at risk. I personally do not want to be quarantined/isolated, potentially off the ship because somebody on my excursion didn't follow safety protocols.

Not intending this as rude--just so you understand that some people really, really don't want to end up in a Chilean hostel because some people HAD to have a meet and greet.

So you might get some strong reactions.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Having re-read the thread, I certainly didn't get the impression that anyone provided a nasty response. You may not agree with or like the facts you received in response to your question, but I certainly wouldn't consider any of the responses as "Nasty"

You asked a question regarding Meet & Greets, which I answered and Kent provided further explanation, including the fact that they contravene Viking's Policies.

After another couple of responses, you indicated it's only a small group and you don't see a problem with contravening Viking's robust Health & Safety Policy, which was developed to both protect the pax & crew, and decrease the probability of cruises again being cancelled.

Rob provided a recent example from the Orion, where an unauthorised group gathering could have negatively impacted the status of infectious disease aboard the vessel, which the Master MUST report to the local authorities.

A number of regulars on the Viking Board have answered your initial question and provided supporting facts. 

I guess Nasty is the wrong choice of words sorry for that. I guess I am just  disappointed in people being so judgmental and implying the worse in people on Social media. Normally I have not found this on CC and that’s why I like it. Times have changed since Covid and has brought out the not so kind side of people. How about CurlerRobs comment?  Was he not judging me?  

I never said I was going to go against Vikings policies. I was asking how to set up a M& G for my upcoming cruise.  That question was not answered BTW.
 Apparently someone has one set up for the cruise following mine.

I heard and understand the comments I received and most were very reasonable about the current situation that I agree with. My husband & my son in law both work in healthcare so I am very knowledgeable about Protocols regarding Covid.

Traveling during these times do make it challenging and we who decide to travel now know the risk. My point was I just returned from a Viking trip to Egypt and we were invited to a party for all returning Viking guest. There were at least 50 people who attended on a river boat.

If Viking says no gatherings of 6 or more I’ll follow that since I am a rule follower. Too bad you want to judge me even though you know nothing about me. I guess I found CurlerRobs and your implications unkind. 

I have only met awesome people on CC and my Viking travels and non Viking travels.  I will not let one or two unkind judging folk discourage me from seeking advice from CC. 

I'm glad you will follow the protocols--your fellow cruisers will appreciate that courtesy, and you will keep yourself safe! 

I think folks are really sensitive about meet & greets after hearing about the people who have been disembarked, sometimes in less than ideal accommodations. 

Glad you won't give up on CC. I really don't think anyone meant to be nasty but I think frustration may come across that way.

Safe travels!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I'm glad you will follow the protocols--your fellow cruisers will appreciate that courtesy, and you will keep yourself safe! 

I think folks are really sensitive about meet & greets after hearing about the people who have been disembarked, sometimes in less than ideal accommodations. 

Glad you won't give up on CC. I really don't think anyone meant to be nasty but I think frustration may come across that way.

Safe travels!

I must say my hubby & I got a chuckle thinking that anyone would think we are rule  breakers. ☺️ If you only knew me you would laugh too.  Life is short and I love people and travel. Think positive and hopefully test negative. Keep on traveling. 

1 hour ago, Little Rascal said:

I never said I was going to go against Vikings policies. I was asking how to set up a M& G for my upcoming cruise.  That question was not answered BTW.
 Apparently someone has one set up for the cruise following mine.

Actually, your question was answered by numerous experienced Viking cruisers. Meet & Greets were coordinated by CC pre-Covid and Viking provided drinks & hors d’oeuvres. CC & Viking have suspended them during Covid. If your friend claims to have set one up—it’s not through CC & Viking.

27 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Actually, your question was answered by numerous experienced Viking cruisers. Meet & Greets were coordinated by CC pre-Covid and Viking provided drinks & hors d’oeuvres. CC & Viking have suspended them during Covid. If your friend claims to have set one up—it’s not through CC & Viking.

I am going to let this topic go and I hope you will as well. 

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

As long as there are no more comments about not understanding the answers to the original question…? That’s what I was responding to.

Sometimes no comment is better served. Especially in this case unless your stirring the pot. What’s your point?  You have made no impact on my question what’s so ever.