The Conundrum of Canadian embarkations- Help

Hello! 

I am not sure if this is the correct board per say, but I am so stressed about our Disney Wonder April 2022 Sailing to Hawaii that just so happens to embark from Vancouver. Pre-Covid this was the perfect itinerary. We fly in from the EU, spend a 3/4 in  the pacific NW/ Vancouver as an added bonus to our Disney/Hawaii trip. 

Right now if I had a magic wand this sailing would start in Seattle or LA so we do not have to deal with the entry process of getting into Canada, the uncertainty if Vancouver even opens etc.... As much as we looked forward to visiting Vancouver and sailing from there, I would totally avoid if we could. Damn C word. 

Here are my stress issues:

1. We are flying in from Germany, we are boosted. not an issue. But what the........(sorry) even though we pre-PCR test negative, we might be chosen to randomly take another by board control. ( fine lines, if approved on the app, the border control  makes final decision, so thanks spend all that money coming over but its not a sure thing ??? another what the..... 

2. If a second PCR is needed I have read this an take days.. So basically any YVR sailings ( helllo entire Alaska season for many) you better plan to fly in at least a week before to be safe. I have heard some tests take 5 days for result.. which  leads to  another what if thing..

3..... you need a quarantine plan.. so as I tourist how do you do this? book a hotel for 14 days just in case and hope you can cancel ?? 

4. Will the port even open? I have google and googled and no news on that front. Can any locals comment on this? 

As much as we would loooooove to visit Canada ( the idea of Seattle is meh..) As a cruiseline what are their plans for all the above? Are people cancelling spring sailings that start in Canada? I mean unless you are Canadian, not only do you have the whole I am positive for the ship tessting, but do I evenn get in the country without misssig my boat because I am waitin for some random test results... 

For those with spring 2022 sailings that departe CA, Especially those NOT coming up from the US. How are you dealing with this? any tips, ideas 

oh the Conundrum

Edited by mousefan73
fogot someting

FWIW, here my two cents for point 4 as I can't really provide great guidance for 1-3.

Starting with background and context:

Life in Vancouver was pretty normal (all things considered) up to early December with case counts in the Vancouver health region (Vancouver Coastal Health which covers most of the areas a pre-cruise tourist would want to visit but not including Vancouver Island/Victoria but was also doing well) trending very low (down to about 30-50 cases a day IIRC for a region that covers 1.25M people and over 80-85% vaccination rate of eligible population).

Omicron obviously turned everything upside down with double vaccinated people getting infected.  New health restriction measures were instituted in late December as the case counts went through the roof but they aren't completely restrictive. Eg. Restaurants are still operating but at lower capacity and a max of 6 people per table.  Where we are currently at in the wave is that cases are starting to trend down but hospitalizations haven't peaked yet.  If we bell curve it, I'm guessing Vancouver should be out of the omicron wave around the end of February.  This will also be supported by the booster program which only started lightly in Dec for vulnerable people and didn't start for the bulk of the populaton until January.  By April, I would be optimistic that case counts would not be a limiting factor for the cruise season to happen in BC.

The federal government lifted the restriction on cruise ships in Canadian waters effective Nov 2021 which was essentially too late for the 2021 season but gave clarity for the 2022 cruise season in Canada to happen.  The suspension of the Passenger Vessels Services Act in 2021 (which allowed ships to essentially bypass a requirement to start/end or make a stop in Canada) also opened the eyes of the provincial government to lobby the federal government to help prevent another suspension of the Act in 2022 which risks making it more paletable for the US to make the suspension permanent altogether.  So there's political impetus to ensure the 2022 cruise season happens in BC.

So in a nutshell, I'm optimistic that the 2022 cruise season in BC will happen.

Personally, I've been dying to book our next cruise but the hassles with the uncertainty & ever evolving travel rules plus the potential suckiness of testing postive on a cruise have prevented us from doing so, so far.  (My kudos to those who have tho.)  However, I'm optimist about 2022 and we might dip our toe with a cruise that starts or ends in our homeport of Vancouver to limit some of the risk.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:02 AM, mousefan73 said:

Hello! 

I am not sure if this is the correct board per say, but I am so stressed about our Disney Wonder April 2022 Sailing to Hawaii that just so happens to embark from Vancouver. Pre-Covid this was the perfect itinerary. We fly in from the EU, spend a 3/4 in  the pacific NW/ Vancouver as an added bonus to our Disney/Hawaii trip. 

Right now if I had a magic wand this sailing would start in Seattle or LA so we do not have to deal with the entry process of getting into Canada, the uncertainty if Vancouver even opens etc.... As much as we looked forward to visiting Vancouver and sailing from there, I would totally avoid if we could. Damn C word. 

1. We are flying in from Germany, we are boosted. not an issue. But what the........(sorry) even though we pre-PCR test negative, we might be chosen to randomly take another by board control. ( fine lines, if approved on the app, the border control  makes final decision, so thanks spend all that money coming over but its not a sure thing ??? another what the..... 

2. If a second PCR is needed I have read this an take days.. So basically any YVR sailings ( helllo entire Alaska season for many) you better plan to fly in at least a week before to be safe. I have heard some tests take 5 days for result.. which  leads to  another what if thing..

3..... you need a quarantine plan.. so as I tourist how do you do this? book a hotel for 14 days just in case and hope you can cancel ?? 

4. Will the port even open? I have google and googled and no news on that front. Can any locals comment on this? 

As much as we would loooooove to visit Canada ( the idea of Seattle is meh..) As a cruiseline what are their plans for all the above? Are people cancelling spring sailings that start in Canada? I mean unless you are Canadian, not only do you have the whole I am positive for the ship tessting, but do I evenn get in the country without misssig my boat because I am waitin for some random test results... 

For those with spring 2022 sailings that departe CA, Especially those NOT coming up from the US. How are you dealing with this? any tips, ideas 

oh the Conundrum

In addition to considering entry requirements, I would also be considering the potential health risk in any country I am proposing to visit. In Canada, the overal vaccination rates are high, with almost 90% of 5 yrs old and up having at least 1 shot. While our infection rates have increased, they are still well below those in the US. I read last week that the US infection rate is one of the highest in the World and their vaccination rate is well below ours.

Entry requirements - as per every country in the World, you can meet all the stated entry requirements, but the final decision on whether you are provided entry is the actual border agent you deal with. Canada's entry requirements have been reasonably consistent for the past number of months, with a PCR test 3-days before entry. Yes, they could request an arrival test, but as noted before, Canada is only stating the obvious, as all border agents basically have this authority. Our son flies in and out of Vancouver multiple times per year and has never required more than the pre-arrival PCR test. I can't tell you what percentage of arriving pax are selected, but anyone showing possible COVID/Cold/Flu symptoms will definitely be selected. I'll suggest that the greatest majority showing no symptoms, and that have no red flags with vaccine status, will not be selected. As a European, you should have a EU digital vaccine record, so should not have any issue with definitive proof of your vaccine status.

Canadian Waters and Ports were opened to cruise ships effective 1st November 2021 and the status has not changed. I would be more concerned with the US CDC's interference with cruise ship operations, than Canada closing the ports again. Rather than closing ports, if Canada took any action, I would expect any ship with high infection rates could be turned away.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:02 PM, mousefan73 said:

Hello! 

oh the Conundrum

On the same sailing as you OP and from the UK. For the quarantine plan, you don’t have to have anything booked but you have to be able to say where you would stay, how you would get food delivered to you (including the specific company/service) and that you have any medicine you need and know who you’d contact if you needed emergency medical help. There’s some example quarantine plans available if you Google.

1 hour ago, diablo_dancer said:

On the same sailing as you OP and from the UK. For the quarantine plan, you don’t have to have anything booked but you have to be able to say where you would stay, how you would get food delivered to you (including the specific company/service) and that you have any medicine you need and know who you’d contact if you needed emergency medical help. There’s some example quarantine plans available if you Google.

Oh that’s cool. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for this one. We were also on the one that was canceled. For some reason I know it’s not healthy, I’ve become emotionally attached to having this thing happen! 

Omicron seems to have peaked in Canada and there is hope that over the next few weeks cases will start to come down and things will begin to reopen again (in half the country you can't get into a restaurant at the moment).  Best case scenario you'll hear some news on this by mid-late February.

The border testing I wouldn't be too worried about.  If you are in transit, they won't make you wait in Vancouver for a test or a second test, you'll just stay at the hotel and then board the ship.  

It took a really really long time for the rules to ease up last year before Omicron, so they may take a long time to ease up now.  If you need certainty sooner than later, changing to a Seattle sailing might be for you.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:22 PM, dolfan1980 said:

Omicron seems to have peaked in Canada and there is hope that over the next few weeks cases will start to come down and things will begin to reopen again (in half the country you can't get into a restaurant at the moment).  Best case scenario you'll hear some news on this by mid-late February.

The border testing I wouldn't be too worried about.  If you are in transit, they won't make you wait in Vancouver for a test or a second test, you'll just stay at the hotel and then board the ship.  

It took a really really long time for the rules to ease up last year before Omicron, so they may take a long time to ease up now.  If you need certainty sooner than later, changing to a Seattle sailing might be for you.

In BC, our Public Health advises that Omicron has peaked. Although we have Omicron in the community, other than wearing masks, we have minimal Public Health restrictions, compared to the original COVID.

Current Public Health Orders only limit the max number at a table in restaurants to 6 and mandate the wearing of masks indoors. In a restaurant, the mask can be removed once seated. They started easing some restrictions on gyms, yoga studios and fitness facilities last week.

If flying from UK/Europe to see Alaska, I certainly wouldn't switch to a Seattle R/T, as I wouldn't want to spend 2-days cruising the Pacific Ocean to/from Alaska.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:43 PM, Heidi13 said:

In BC, our Public Health advises that Omicron has peaked. Although we have Omicron in the community, other than wearing masks, we have minimal Public Health restrictions, compared to the original COVID.

Current Public Health Orders only limit the max number at a table in restaurants to 6 and mandate the wearing of masks indoors. In a restaurant, the mask can be removed once seated. They started easing some restrictions on gyms, yoga studios and fitness facilities last week.

If flying from UK/Europe to see Alaska, I certainly wouldn't switch to a Seattle R/T, as I wouldn't want to spend 2-days cruising the Pacific Ocean to/from Alaska.

I agree with your assessment of BC, but border related public health decisions are made by the federal government.  Here in Ontario, we still cannot go into a restaurant and all gyms, recreational facilities, etc are still fully closed.  It took the feds a really really long time to remove quarantine from those arriving from abroad and now they're still randomly selecting a large number to quarantine upon arrival until they receive a negative test.  To say that PCR testing requirement for people coming off a cruise (or flying/driving in) will be done by April I think is optimistic.  

Edited by dolfan1980

55 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

I agree with your assessment of BC, but border related public health decisions are made by the federal government.  Here in Ontario, we still cannot go into a restaurant and all gyms, recreational facilities, etc are still fully closed.  It took the feds a really really long time to remove quarantine from those arriving from abroad and now they're still randomly selecting a large number to quarantine upon arrival until they receive a negative test.  To say that PCR testing requirement for people coming off a cruise (or flying/driving in) will be done by April I think is optimistic.  

Probably didn't explain my last paragraph well enough.

By advising against changing from Vancouver to Seattle, it was not based on the potential for easing of border restrictions. Having working 2 full Alaska seasons, if I want to see scenery & wildlife, the Seattle options that spend 2 full days in the Pacific Ocean are much less appealing.

Personally, if I am flying in from Europe to see Alaska, I would cancel rather than change to a Seattle R/T option. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same boat so to speak.

Assuming our April cruise from YVR to HNL is still a go.

We’re flying from the US to YVR, plan to arrive the day before our cruise, go to hotel, have dinner, board the ship the next day!

No problem testing before arrival and am hoping to use the same test for entry as I do to board the ship. I can sort all that out in April!

My confusion is with the quarantine plan, how does that work when one is in Canada only 24 hours?

Perhaps I shouldn’t think about this for another month and see if the rules change?

To the OP. Alaska from Vancouver is definitely a better option for seeing Alaska than cruising from Seattle.

58 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Perhaps I shouldn’t think about this for another month and see if the rules change?

As the current wave has peaked across Canada, things are starting to evolve.  I think it's safe to assume various rules and restrictions will look different in a month but we're unsure of the degree.

There's a growing lobby for the federal government to end the additional arrival testing of fully vaccinated travellers and possibly even dropping pre-arrival testing.  Or there maybe modifications like requiring an antigen test instead of a pcr test or not quarantining while waiting results.  If some of this gets implemented, it will address some concerns the OP and many other visitors have.  There even might be an announcement next week.

Locally in BC, it's looking like restrictions will likely start easing up on Feb 16 on a gradual basis.

Thanks for the info @Milhouse
I won’t overthink this all for now and hope all works out.

I was recently in Hawaii, a FB group I belong to has a lot of Canadians with questions on travel and testing for Hawaii..it’s all a bit different going to another country and wanting to make sure you know all the rules.

The federal government announced today the easing of restrictions effective as of February 28 12:01am ET:

• Travellers have the option of using a rapid antigen test the day before their scheduled flight (or arrival at land border or marine port) or molecular test within 72hrs before their scheduled flight.  And the antigen test has to be approved by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a lab, health care entity, or telehealth service.
  • Fully vaccinated travellers will still be continued to be randomly tested but won't have to quarantine while waiting for results.

CBC news article here with additional colour.