Testing positive through PCR test after recovery from covid

basenji56

Many of us have recovered from Covid infections.  We test negative on antigen tests.  However, I have read that you can test positive on a PCR test for up to three months following recovery.

COVID-19 PCR tests can be positive for 3 months | 13newsnow.com

The perplexing problem of persistently PCR-positive personnel (nih.gov)

I know that Viking requires a PCR test everyday while on board.

Has anyone who has recovered from Covid, tested positive through these PCR tests while on the ship?

Is there any workaround for a possible false positive test? (Certificate of Recovery from your doctor?)

As more and more people recover from Omicron, this will become a more significant issue.

• Like 1

I’ve been wondering the same thing, having had Omicron over Christmas and (hopefully) getting aboard Viking in March. However, on another thread there’s news that Viking is starting to accept antigen (lateral flow) tests as an alternative to PCR. This is a logical move by Viking and I have fingers crossed that this, or an even more permissive regime will apply by March for cruises starting in Europe.

• Like 1

I tested negative with PCR 2 weeks after symptoms first started.  I’m not too worried about testing positive.  If you’re concerned about testing positive and not able to cruise, do a PCR test before your RFG window expires.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Selion said:

I tested negative with PCR 2 weeks after symptoms first started.  I’m not too worried about testing positive.  If you’re concerned about testing positive and not able to cruise, do a PCR test before your RFG window expires.

I think you are probably right.  You will need to get a PCR test to be safe even if you can't get it within 48 hours of the sailing.  Hopefully, the cycling is the same so that you don't test negative on the PCR test before sailing while you test positive on Viking's PCR test.  

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Many of us have recovered from Covid infections.  We test negative on antigen tests.  However, I have read that you can test positive on a PCR test for up to three months following recovery.

COVID-19 PCR tests can be positive for 3 months | 13newsnow.com

The perplexing problem of persistently PCR-positive personnel (nih.gov)

I know that Viking requires a PCR test everyday while on board.

Has anyone who has recovered from Covid, tested positive through these PCR tests while on the ship?

Is there any workaround for a possible false positive test? (Certificate of Recovery from your doctor?)

As more and more people recover from Omicron, this will become a more significant issue.

It looks like Viking is now acknowledging this fact. Updated yesterday: 

If you have recovered from a previous COVID-19 infection 15-90 days prior to departure but are continuing to test positive, you will need to provide additional documentation as part of the Health Survey to be permitted to travel with Viking
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

It looks like Viking is now acknowledging this fact. Updated yesterday: 

If you have recovered from a previous COVID-19 infection 15-90 days prior to departure but are continuing to test positive, you will need to provide additional documentation as part of the Health Survey to be permitted to travel with Viking

Can you tell us where you found this?  Viking has so much stuff on this topic spread across so many spots...

1 hour ago, NewSalty said:

Can you tell us where you found this?  Viking has so much stuff on this topic spread across so many spots...

I am hoping it is correct. I sent an email to tellus@vikingcruises.com 

It is hidden in My Viking Journey.com pretty deep. Start with My Viking Journey .com . Go to 

Before You Go. My Trip. 
Viking Health & Safety Program. What to Expect on Your Journey. At Home Icon. Health Survey

4 hours ago, NewSalty said:

Please see my response below to find the info on My Viking Journey.com I just heard back from tellus@vikingcruises & he verified this is the current policy. When you fill out your Health Survey you will include a Recovery letter from your physician if you are still testing positive. He wasn’t sure if Viking would provide the form but I will be checking with my dr if I’m still testing positive. Yay!!

7 hours ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

I am hoping it is correct. I sent an email to tellus@vikingcruises.com 

It is hidden in My Viking Journey.com pretty deep. Start with My Viking Journey .com . Go to 

Before You Go. My Trip. 
Viking Health & Safety Program. What to Expect on Your Journey. At Home Icon. Health Survey

Got it, thanks.  Very glad I didn't go hunting on my own!

Thank you for this information!  Hubby tested positive about 2 weeks ago with no symptoms.  Is negative on his antigen tests, but still came up positive on a PCR last week.  We still have 60 days before our next trip on Viking but it's good to know there's another way we can still travel with them if he continues to get positive PCR results.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 5:29 PM, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

Please see my response below to find the info on My Viking Journey.com I just heard back from tellus@vikingcruises & he verified this is the current policy. When you fill out your Health Survey you will include a Recovery letter from your physician if you are still testing positive. He wasn’t sure if Viking would provide the form but I will be checking with my dr if I’m still testing positive. Yay!!

My doctor sent me a certificate of recovery.  I am hopeful that I can use it to get into Spain since I have two shots of Moderna but no booster.

• 3 months later...

A lot of mystery regarding this topic! My wife and I are leaving the USA in a week for Rome, then boarding the Viking Mars 5 days later for a cruise to Barcelona. We both had COVID last month, no serious symptoms, are over it, and have recovery letters from doctors. Should make it easy to travel, except for Viking’s testing requirements which had me concerned. I wasn’t sure why they would test me if I have recovery documents. After several emails to Viking and a phone call with a Viking rep, I think I’m comfortable that we won’t be put in quarantine or made to leave the ship if one of us tests positive while onboard. Here is what Viking  confirmed by email and during my phone call:

1. We don’t need to test to fly to Rome 5 days before the cruise, unless required to do so to enter Italy but not necessary for Viking. 
  2. We should arrange a test in Rome before we show up at the ship - 72 hours in advance if PCR and 24 hours in advance if Antigen. 
  3. We will be tested by Viking at embarkation (PCR test).
  4. We will be tested up to daily onboard by Viking ((PCR test).
  5. Our recovery documents will allow us to enjoy the cruise regardless of any of the test results.

I asked Viking why they would test us if the results had no consequences because of the recovery documents. Seems like it’s just policy to test everyone, then deal with whatever comes after. I’m ok with that and have relaxed my concern level to low. I’ll have Viking’s email in my packet along with the positive tests and recovery letters from last month. 

2 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

A lot of mystery regarding this topic! My wife and I are leaving the USA in a week for Rome, then boarding the Viking Mars 5 days later for a cruise to Barcelona. We both had COVID last month, no serious symptoms, are over it, and have recovery letters from doctors. Should make it easy to travel, except for Viking’s testing requirements which had me concerned. I wasn’t sure why they would test me if I have recovery documents. After several emails to Viking and a phone call with a Viking rep, I think I’m comfortable that we won’t be put in quarantine or made to leave the ship if one of us tests positive while onboard. Here is what Viking  confirmed by email and during my phone call:

1. We don’t need to test to fly to Rome 5 days before the cruise, unless required to do so to enter Italy but not necessary for Viking. 
  2. We should arrange a test in Rome before we show up at the ship - 72 hours in advance if PCR and 24 hours in advance if Antigen. 
  3. We will be tested by Viking at embarkation (PCR test).
  4. We will be tested up to daily onboard by Viking ((PCR test).
  5. Our recovery documents will allow us to enjoy the cruise regardless of any of the test results.

I asked Viking why they would test us if the results had no consequences because of the recovery documents. Seems like it’s just policy to test everyone, then deal with whatever comes after. I’m ok with that and have relaxed my concern level to low. I’ll have Viking’s email in my packet along with the positive tests and recovery letters from last month. 

We were in Rome in March, arrived 5 days before boarding our cruise from Rome to Athens. We saw a pharmacy just down the block from the hotel, and had antigen tests done the day before boarding. The cost was about 30 euro each, I think; we priced PCR tests, but they would've been about 55-70 euro each, if I remember correctly. The antigen test was so simple, took us about 10 minutes for both of us, and then we were back to touring Rome with our documents in hand.

A caution about recovery letters - Viking will only accept them for 90 days from the date of infection.

I tested positive on Viking Orion on the 91st day. I was put into isolation. I never had symptoms and none of my subsequent tests were positive. They did not release me from isolation until the cruise was over. They would not even consider that it could have been a false positive.

So far they have denied my request for a refund. I have appealed the decision and am considering my legal options.

Edited by eel

7 minutes ago, eel said:

A caution about recovery letters - Viking will only accept them for 90 days from the date of infection.

I tested positive on Viking Orion on the 91st day. I was put into isolation. I never had symptoms and none of my subsequent tests were positive. They did not release me from isolation until the cruise was over. They would not even consider that it could have been a false positive.

So far they have denied my request for a refund. I have appealed the decision and am considering my legal options.

Didn't you purchase travel insurance providing that coverage?

Just now, Heidi13 said:

Didn't you purchase travel insurance providing that coverage?

I have Allianz travel insurance through my credit card. It is valid for up to $10,000 per person for travel interruption. I may file a claim with them but I think in this case it is Viking that is culpable. I currently have another claim with them and don't want to file a second claim while the first claim is in progress. There was also an avoidable accident on board where my wife was injured before we were put into isolation. She is still having trouble walking. It truly was the cruise from hell!.

14 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Did Viking offer you a future cruise credit for days you were in quarantine?

Yes, useless to us. Our travel plans are fully scheduled through the first half of 2024 and we are not really interested in sailing Viking again at this time.

Edited by eel

19 minutes ago, eel said:

I have Allianz travel insurance through my credit card. It is valid for up to $10,000 per person for travel interruption. I may file a claim with them but I think in this case it is Viking that is culpable. I currently have another claim with them and don't want to file a second claim while the first claim is in progress. There was also an avoidable accident on board where my wife was injured before we were put into isolation. She is still having trouble walking. It truly was the cruise from hell!.

By the way, being quarantined on a ship is not considered trip interruption!

34 minutes ago, eel said:

Yes, useless to us. Our travel plans are fully scheduled through the first half of 2024 and we are not really interested in sailing Viking again at this time.

Sorry about your wife’s accident. I hope she heals quickly.

To be honest, I wouldn’t expect Viking to bend their policy and give you a refund for days lost to quarantine. Since you were quarantined on board, I agree that insurance probably wouldn’t pay - they should pay for eligible out of pocket expenses if you were quarantined in a hotel. I would guess several hundred were quarantined so far this year (including river cruises), and most of those who wrote about it on cruise critic were ok with the credit. Viking follows CDC guidelines of 10 days quarantine and 90 for a recovery letter. I can understand why they won’t make exceptions.

2 hours ago, eel said:

Please let us know what resolution you finally get.