Freeport Car Rental worth it?

Areya220

So we just booked on the Legend and will be making a stop in Freeport. I have heard amazing things about Gold Rock Beach (and the caves) and would really like to go there. There is only one Carnival excursion that goes there right now and it is a kayak tour that goes to multiple locations. While I used to love kayaking, as a bigger person I am a bit worried about weight limits and things on kayak tours so that would probably not work for me. 

Has anyone ever rented a car in Freeport? Would you say that it is worth it to take a trip out to Lucayan National Park/Gold Rock beach? Our boat is only going to be docked from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm so I am also a bit worried about timing. Any alternatives (external providers, other location recommendations) would also be happily considered!

7 hours ago, Areya220 said:

So we just booked on the Legend and will be making a stop in Freeport. I have heard amazing things about Gold Rock Beach (and the caves) and would really like to go there. There is only one Carnival excursion that goes there right now and it is a kayak tour that goes to multiple locations. While I used to love kayaking, as a bigger person I am a bit worried about weight limits and things on kayak tours so that would probably not work for me. 

Has anyone ever rented a car in Freeport? Would you say that it is worth it to take a trip out to Lucayan National Park/Gold Rock beach? Our boat is only going to be docked from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm so I am also a bit worried about timing. Any alternatives (external providers, other location recommendations) would also be happily considered!

I wouldn't bother trying to rent a car just because of the time constraints of picking up and returning the rental car. 

I see Shore Excursions group offers a tour, $80/pp to Lucayan National Park and Cave tours. 4 hours and guaranteed on-time return to cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mondello said:

I wouldn't bother trying to rent a car just because of the time constraints of picking up and returning the rental car. 

I see Shore Excursions group offers a tour, $80/pp to Lucayan National Park and Cave tours. 4 hours and guaranteed on-time return to cruise ship.

Perfect! I will check that out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Stay on the ship.  Freeport is the only port worse than Nassau in the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

That is a bummer. I know my travel companions will minimally want to go to the beach since they love beach days. Any Bahamas beach beats CT waters, lol.

1 minute ago, Areya220 said:

That is a bummer. I know my travel companions will minimally want to go to the beach since they love beach days. Any Bahamas beach beats CT waters, lol.

Freeport is an industrial port and I will say that my rating is second hand information.  I've been smart enough on my 37 cruises to never sail on an itinerary that included Freeport.

I would go to the ports of call section on cruise critic and do research there to find out what the best beach would be for your visit.  Maybe there is an all inclusive that at least will have alcohol for you.

We rented a car while in Freeport on a short 4 day cruise 4 years ago.  The rental place was right at the port.  Although we had to wait in line to get it, it was well worth it.  We drove out to Lucayan National Park and paid the entrance fee and walked out to Gold Rock  beach. While we didn't do the caves, we enjoyed a quiet day on an almost deserted beach.  One of the most beautiful ones I've been to in the Caribbean/Atlantic to be honest.  There was nothing there as far as chair rentals, facilities, or things to do.  We just took towels and a small cooler and relaxed.  

I'll take Freeport any day over Nassau, although I haven't been there since Hurricane Dorian in 2019. My favorite excursion is Paradise Cove: https://deadmansreef.com/. They pick you up at the ship and get you back in good time before sailing. I'm not a strong snorkeler, but this was pretty easy for me and was some of the best snorkeling I've done. They also have a beachgoers' package for those who don't want to snorkel.

- Rental cars can vary in price. Sometimes the fees and insurances makes it very expensive

- It can sometimes take up quite a bit of time to procure your vehicle. If you can book online, that really helps a lot.

- Sometimes driving in other countries can be intimidating. Rules may be different or drivers very aggressive.

- Getting in an accident in another country can be a massive headache. Safety concerns aside.

With those things out of the way, I love having a rental car. Far cheaper than a taxi. Get to do a lot more at your own pace. There are beautiful things to see on that island. Unfortunately, they just aren't near the port. Gold Rock Beach is definitely on my to-do list.

I am also super-excited for the new port project there.