San Pedro - turn around day

Looking for some advice from the local experts!  We are doing a B2B with turn around day at San Pedro pier next month (on a Monday). Haven't decided if we will stay on the ship or not, if we do get off, would just be for a few hours to walk around and maybe have lunch.

Did some research and noticed the USS Iowa is near by (same parking lot?), there is a walking trail along the waterfront, and there are a fair number of shops and restaurants not too far away (appear to be concentrated on 6th street). 

Is this area walkable?  Worthwhile?  Anything else in the area worth checking out? Noticed the maritime museum, but think that touring the Iowa would be our preference. 

Thanks

On 1/24/2022 at 1:51 PM, DandDM said:

Is this area walkable?  Worthwhile?  Anything else in the area worth checking out? Noticed the maritime museum, but think that touring the Iowa would be our preference. 

The Iowa is fantastic and well worth some mid day exploring. It also adjacent and walkable to where your ship will dock-- no need to worry about fighting LA traffic to get back to the ship like you would with other excursions further afield. 

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

The Iowa is fantastic and well worth some mid day exploring. It also adjacent and walkable to where your ship will dock-- no need to worry about fighting LA traffic to get back to the ship like you would with other excursions further afield. 

This ^^^

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!  Toured the UCC Missouri at Pearl Harbor years ago and enjoyed it a lot. In reviewing the Iowa's web site, there was a small refence to "outside tours only".  I plan to call them before the trip to confirm what that means, but curious if anyone has visited recently?

Cheers,

Would agree, Iowa would be your best bet. They share a parking lot and if you don't do that you would need to Urber or cab to other location. Queen Mary is closed at this time. They have a nice Aquarium and marina area is nice but would require a drive. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 10:51 AM, DandDM said:

We are doing a B2B with turn around day at San Pedro pier next month (on a Monday). Haven't decided if we will stay on the ship or not

I am not sure staying on the ship is an option? It was my understanding that everyone had to go through Customs & Immigration. My memory is that there are some special accommodations for people doing B2B, but in LA staying onboard wasn't one of them. But things may have changed.

If you want to do something, the USS Iowa is pretty good. We did it in Oct (I think) and it was just like it always was, DIY or a guided tour option.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:39 PM, scottca075 said:

I am not sure staying on the ship is an option? It was my understanding that everyone had to go through Customs & Immigration. My memory is that there are some special accommodations for people doing B2B, but in LA staying onboard wasn't one of them. But things may have changed.

If you want to do something, the USS Iowa is pretty good. We did it in Oct (I think) and it was just like it always was, DIY or a guided tour option.

We have done B2B's and the ship will have a lunch or meeting with those passengers a day or two prior to getting back into port to explain the procedures. On disembarking day, you will meet in one of the ballrooms and a ship officer takes us off the ship to go out and clear customs as a group. Then you get back on usually prior to the general boarding. If you're not changing staterooms, you will have access to your room after you come back on the ship. They provide you with new Sea Pass cards. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

We have done B2B's and the ship will have a lunch or meeting with those passengers a day or two prior to getting back into port to explain the procedures. On disembarking day, you will meet in one of the ballrooms and a ship officer takes us off the ship to go out and clear customs as a group. Then you get back on usually prior to the general boarding. If you're not changing staterooms, you will have access to your room after you come back on the ship. They provide you with new Sea Pass cards. 

Thanks, that was my memory.