Whiskey Blu - Can anyone help? ;)

PinkSandGirl

Whiskey Blu

Bulleit Bourbon, Cruz Conde, Fernet, Angostura 

Hi!  This past October we sailed on the Equinox and my dad enjoyed the Whiskey Blu in Blu.  For Christmas I bought him everything to create the cocktail at home.  While looking up what I needed, Cruz Conde was listed.   I looked it up and they have a Vermouth & a Sherry.  I couldn't find either and after trying to decide what to get, I went with a Vermouth.  I found a description of the Cruz Conde flavor profile and was able to find a very similar Vermouth.   I thought this would be a good addition to his Christmas presents.   I also included locally hand blown 'blue' glasses to add to his cocktail collection.   Great idea, right?  😉   We both enjoy creating new cocktails so I thought between him and I we could re-create the Whiskey Blu.   Well... it just does not taste the same.   So...is it a Sherry instead of Vermouth and/or does Cruz Conde really make the Whiskey Blu a Whiskey Blu?  

It isn't listed as part of the drink description on the menu but the Whiskey Blu was also served with an orange rind so we included that as well. 

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!  😉

1.  Does anyone know the measurements of the Whiskey Blu?  

2.  Is the Cruz Conde a Vermouth or Sherry?

3.  Is Cruz Conde the answer to making it right?

If someone knows the answer or if anyone is interested for themselves and also to help, perhaps someone onboard in Blu could ask?   I know they give out food recipes if you ask so I am guessing they will give cocktail recipes as well.  😉

Thank You!  😃

🍹

Whiskey Blu on the left

1526826157_20211008_2043292.thumb.jpg.d73a0d6fc815a802eb123249da9ef1dd.jpg

Edited by PinkSandGirl

Bulleit has a recipe on their web page for something they call a "Kentucky Calling". it's a PDX sherry-based drink, not vermouth. Pretty much the same ingredients (they're using mole bitters instead of angostura).

0.75 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
0.25 oz. solera sherry
0.25 oz. medium style amaro
2 dashes mole bitters

The fernet is an amaro. I'd probably try something like Alvear Pedro Ximenez Solera 1927 Sherry, which also comes in 375ml bottles, and the angostura from the menu. I'm kind of guessing the drink in Blu is a slight adaptation on Bulleit's drink.

Sounds interesting.

• Thanks 1

Originally  it was made with Knob Creek and to us tasted better.   They changed distributors that don’t handle Knob Creek and now use Bulliet

Dont know what the proportions are but I would try using about the same as for a Manhattan.   Combining the liquors to equal the amount of sherry and the Bulliet the amount of the main spirit.  

Changing stuff and experimenting may end up with a drink that taste better

All drinks usually consist of  the same ratios.  Make it and adjust according to taste.  If you want more bourbon taste add more, and etc

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, markeb said:

Bulleit has a recipe on their web page for something they call a "Kentucky Calling". it's a PDX sherry-based drink, not vermouth. Pretty much the same ingredients (they're using mole bitters instead of angostura).

0.75 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
0.25 oz. solera sherry
0.25 oz. medium style amaro
2 dashes mole bitters

The fernet is an amaro. I'd probably try something like Alvear Pedro Ximenez Solera 1927 Sherry, which also comes in 375ml bottles, and the angostura from the menu. I'm kind of guessing the drink in Blu is a slight adaptation on Bulleit's drink.

Sounds interesting.

Hi!  Thank You!   I scoured the internet but never looked on Bulleit's site.  😉

I initially was going to go with a Sherry but decided on a Vermouth.   Thank you for the Sherry recommendation.   I will look for that. 

🍹

10 hours ago, DCPIV said:

If no one comes to your rescue by the time we're on Reflection next month, I'll see if I can remember to ask a bartender about that for you.  I like the sound of that drink, myself!

Hi!  Thank You!  😉  My next sailing isn't until the fall so I thought I would come here for insight. 

Enjoy your cruise!   I was on the Reflection in 2017.  😃

🍹

• Like 1

11 hours ago, miched said:

Originally  it was made with Knob Creek and to us tasted better.   They changed distributors that don’t handle Knob Creek and now use Bulliet

Dont know what the proportions are but I would try using about the same as for a Manhattan.   Combining the liquors to equal the amount of sherry and the Bulliet the amount of the main spirit.  

Changing stuff and experimenting may end up with a drink that taste better

All drinks usually consist of  the same ratios.  Make it and adjust according to taste.  If you want more bourbon taste add more, and etc

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Hi!  Thank You.   Yes, during my research I saw that it was originally made with Knob Creek. 

The same taste or even better is always good. 😉

My dad likes the 'In Fashion' at Capital Grille so a few years ago I bought him everything to re-create that.   He makes it with the same ingredients along with the orange ice sphere but him and boyfriend say his are even better than Capital Grille's.  😉

🍹

14 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Hi!  Thank You.   Yes, during my research I saw that it was originally made with Knob Creek. 

The same taste or even better is always good. 😉

My dad likes the 'In Fashion' at Capital Grille so a few years ago I bought him everything to re-create that.   He makes it with the same ingredients along with the orange ice sphere but him and boyfriend say his are even better than Capital Grille's.  😉

🍹

I will drink Old Fashions.  I am always tweaking it.  We were at a Distillery and they were using Luxardo Cherries.   Started to use them.  made a big difference.  Then another bar would add some Grand Marnier.  Started using some of  that.    Adjusted here and there to make sweeter or not as sweet.    My wife likes it sweeter than I like mine so I make hers a little different.   It is like smoking a brisket or pork butt.   Keep tweeting and adjusting 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miched said:

I will drink Old Fashions.  I am always tweaking it.  We were at a Distillery and they were using Luxardo Cherries.   Started to use them.  made a big difference.  Then another bar would add some Grand Marnier.  Started using some of  that.    Adjusted here and there to make sweeter or not as sweet.    My wife likes it sweeter than I like mine so I make hers a little different.   It is like smoking a brisket or pork butt.   Keep tweeting and adjusting 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Exactly.   Sometimes it's perfect from the start, other times you need to adjust and then it's perfect and/or adjust to taste for certain people. 

Your creation sounds like the foundation of the In Fashion:  Russell's Reserve 10 year Small Batch, Grand Marnier, Amarena Cherries, Black Walnut Bitters and an orange sphere (he takes a peeler and puts orange rind at the bottom of the ice sphere mold).  When my dad makes it for my boyfriend he uses a tad less Grand Marnier for him.  

I like Bourbon as well.  I love mint juleps. I started having Kentucky Derby parties because of them. 😉 

🍹

1 hour ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The funny thing is, the Old Fashioned is supposedly the oldest and arguably the simplest cocktail out there, but I've seen it done so many different ways. In the purist recipe, the only thing muddled is the sugar cube, but so many bars automatically muddle the garnish (cherry and orange) which I really don't care for at all. If that's how you like them, it's your drink and enjoy, but I'd like a choice! But definitely Luxardo cherries and ditch the food coloring red candied things!

And then there's the whole rye versus bourbon thing...

But I do have fun playing around at home! Some things work, some things don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

The funny thing is, the Old Fashioned is supposedly the oldest and arguably the simplest cocktail out there, but I've seen it done so many different ways. In the purist recipe, the only thing muddled is the sugar cube, but so many bars automatically muddle the garnish (cherry and orange) which I really don't care for at all. If that's how you like them, it's your drink and enjoy, but I'd like a choice! But definitely Luxardo cherries and ditch the food coloring red candied things!

But I do have fun playing around at home! Some things work, some things don't 

Hi!  Definitely no muddling of fruit for an Old Fashioned. 😉

🍹

1 hour ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Hello!

It all sounds so good. Boy you are the “daughter of the year” for working so hard to get your dad the ingredients for the Kentucky blu drink.

Hi!  I try.  Hehe. 😉

🍹

On 1/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, markeb said:

22 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Hi!  Definitely no muddling of fruit for an Old Fashioned. 😉

🍹

I don't get to wound up if someone muddles the orange peel a bit, but don't dare muddle the cherry.  It's not a fruit punch.

If the only cherries they have are the nasty, bright red things, then I'd just as soon they leave them out altogether.

23 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I don't get to wound up if someone muddles the orange peel a bit, but don't dare muddle the cherry.  It's not a fruit punch.

If the only cherries they have are the nasty, bright red things, then I'd just as soon they leave them 

Definitely no maraschino cherries.  😉

🍹

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 1:15 PM, markeb said:

Just to complicate things even more 😉, Limesh at the World Class bar on the Reflection makes the most awesome Old Fashioned!  It's made with Zacapa rum (from Guatamala), no cherries, no orange, just a twist of orange peel.  I was always a fan of Mt. Gay rum for my Old Fashioned's, but George, the bar manager on the Reflection suggested I try the Zacapa Old Fashioned and now I'm totally spoiled!! 

4 minutes ago, twoflyers said:

Just to complicate things even more 😉, Limesh at the World Class bar on the Reflection makes the most awesome Old Fashioned!  It's made with Zacapa rum (from Guatamala), no cherries, no orange, just a twist of orange peel.  I was always a fan of Mt. Gay rum for my Old Fashioned's, but George, the bar manager on the Reflection suggested I try the Zacapa Old Fashioned and now I'm totally spoiled!! 

Yep. The Zacapa Old Fashioned is probably my favorite drink on Celebrity. There's a "cocktail" thread going as well, and we're all over that one!