FCC hypotheticals for you experts

I've been pretty lucky, but I know that many of you have dealt with very complicated FCC situations over the past couple of years. So I'm hoping somebody can clarify:

1) Let's say I booked a cruise and paid $5,000, and after final payment the price dropped to $4,000 so I got a price adjustment with the extra $1000 in OBC. Then I decided to cancel under CWC. I'm assuming I would only get the $4k in FCC, correct? And if so, what happens to the extra $1k I originally paid? Do I get to keep that OBC? Or are you really  just shooting yourself in the foot if you do a price adjustment for OBC if you think you might cancel?

2) Let's say I canceled that same $5,000 cruise in January and used the CWC to book a cruise in July, but that cruise only costs $3,000. I should still have $2k in FCC, but do I have to use it by the following January (less than a year before my original sail date)? Or does it become a new FCC and reset the clock, meaning that I can now use it until the following July?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

You should not exercise either scenario - take refund.

I should have chosen a different month for my hypothetical scenario--yes, for a January cruise, a refund would be a smart move.  Let's say it's a March cruise instead. 😉

Has anyone experienced situations similar to these?

1 minute ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

.  Let's say it's a March cruise instead. 😉

That would be outside final payment and wouldn’t be eligible for OBC for a price drop. 

The excess FCC would still likely be limited to one year from cancellation. 

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

That would be outside final payment and wouldn’t be eligible for OBC for a price drop. 

BIKER!!! You are not helping here. 🤣 😂 🤣

The second scenario doesn't involve OBC price adjustments.  Or if it did, you could just tell yourself that I made the final payment in February instead. 😉

My question remains: has anybody had experience with these situations?

9 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

My question remains: has anybody had experience with these situations?

How about this hypothetical- you base your cancellation decision on what someone tells you they experienced, but when you call RCI they give you a different answer? Then what?

If you do a price adjustment after final, you would of course lose the OBC if you cancel.  However you would retain the full $5,000 value of the FCC that you paid.  It would need to be reissued since it had been already redeemed.  But your invoice will still show a $5,000 FCC applied even after the OBC is added.  So it shouldn’t be a problem.  

Yes any remaining FCC is reissued.  Usually the expiration date remains the same as the original.  However I believe they are now giving you 1 year to use a new one.  Please do call the cruise line to confirm this though, or do a search on the website.  Information changes often.  Once you get the information verified.  Be sure to document it by saving the date and time of your call along with the name of the person you spoke with - remember all calls are recorded- or printing out the web page. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1