MSC ships - bulge / retractions along side profile of the ship

FrostyJoe

Do y’all know why some of the MSC ships and some of the other lines newer ships have those bulge outs along mid ship?  Why the ship aren’t “flush” some portion of it stick out while portions of doesn’t and is instead retracted, when looking along the side of the ship

i initially thought perhaps for the life boats but that doesn’t seem to be case. Is it for aerodynamic reasons?  Purely aesthetic design? Perhaps to help with wind resistance or stability?

I would imagine there’s some reason for it but I have absolutely no clue why this design instead of just making it all flush along the ship to have as wide of a space to fit as many cabins as possible and to have those longggggg hallways without any zig zagging like an older ship

Edited by FrostyJoe

• FrostyJoe changed the title to MSC ships - bulge / retractions along side profile of the ship

I might not fully understand your question. Do you mean why many news ships are narrower on the lower decks and then wider often from deck 7 and up? That is because in several canals and port entrances there is a specific max. width on the waterline and some storeys up, but higher up ships can hang over.

Or do you mean that lengthwise mostly on the middle the superstructure (above promenade deck) is wider than the more forward portion or aft portion? That is often to give room to wider elevator banks. For example, if you look at MSC Seaview's deck plan, you can see the elevator banks are in the front and back of the wider portion. Further forward from the most forward elevator bank, the superstructure gets slimmer. Same behind the aft elevator bank.

5 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

Do y’all know why some of the MSC ships and some of the other lines newer ships have those bulge outs along mid ship?  Why the ship aren’t “flush” some portion of it stick out while portions of doesn’t and is instead retracted, when looking along the side of the ship

It's simply to replicate the shape of us overfed and under exercised passengers, so that we don't look out of place! 😉

• Haha 5

image.thumb.png.872d60a1a400c5bccacd9e8ad9ee18a3.pngLike that....omg!  elevators/stairs!!!!! you're right!!!!!!!

but even so, couldn’t they have added another row of rooms by making the ship “wide” all throughout?  But maybe they didn’t want to add more insides instead of more balcony room??

Edited by FrostyJoe

I have often wondered this myself.   The cabins on the upper decks on the "in" sections are really not all that desireable as they have the deck above hanging over.   That are a lot of ships with this design so there must be a compelling  reason.

7 hours ago, M2ice said:

I have often wondered this myself.   The cabins on the upper decks on the "in" sections are really not all that desireable as they have the deck above hanging over.   That are a lot of ships with this design so there must be a compelling  reason.

I think the elevator and staircase explanation makes a lot of sense….especially since MSC and other cruise lines just can’t start packing in more inside rooms if they made it “wide” throughout the the ship.

I suppose factors like public space square footage, lifeboat capacities, dining capacity, crew area and additional crew, etc gets all compounded and considered before they can pack in additional inside rooms

Edited by FrostyJoe