How far in advance do you book? I'm just curious

stbmom

Hey Wrona, 2 days down; 1 to go!!!! How'd you like that MBE? :eek:

We booked the Freedom C&A/CC Members cruise 16 months in advance. At the time, I thought we were nuts. Now, inside cabins (which are all that are left) are going for more than our balcony cost. OK, not so nuts, after all!

My new motto: Never be without a booked cruise. I'm just waiting for the 2007 cruises to be listed ... :rolleyes:

We try to book as far in advance as possible...often as soon as they release the schedules for the next year...

We will then "rebook" if it makes sense while onboard a cruise to pick up the "onboard credit"...

All we are doing is guaranteeing a rate, basically, in exchange for the interest on the deposit amount--since the deposit is fully refundable until final payment day...And by booking early, you often pick up a discounted or "early bird" rate...

So, figure if you're putting down a $1000 deposit (on a long cruise), the interst you would have made (even if you had it invested at 3%--which is way above what banks pay these days) would cost about $2.50 per month...

If you have to cancel, you get the deposit back...If the prices drop, the cruise line will adjust your price...

Of course, sometimes, we just can't plan that far ahead...and book any time, sometimes on an impulse...

I will have to second everything I have seen here. I usually have my TA book a year in advance for group cruises with new ships to prime areas during prime time and the cruise always sells out and the price goes up. If you do find you book ahead of time and the price happens to drop (which has never happened to us) most if not all cruise lines will reduce the price of your reservation. The very cheapest deals (if price is of the utmost importance) can be found less than 90 days out but the cabin selection is usually limited. There are some incredible deals out there for last minute travel. I have seen prices that are as low as $100 per day per COUPLE!! Just google repositioning cruises and take a look at some of the per day per person last minute prices! The real answer to your question is "IT DEPENDS". I leave March 11th on a cruise I booked myself with travelocity. I leave May 11th for a cruise I booked through our TA a year in advance. I now have 3 TA's looking at a cruise about 6 months out but I just called them all and told them I am waiting to hear about a new NCL program on our March cruise where you purchase a gift certificate for a future cruise and get all kinds of perks including an immediate on board credit and a on board credit on your future cruise and the right to use the TA to book the cruise and apply the gift certificate. I will post on the boards if and when I get all the details. I think my TA said Princess is also selling gift certificates with perks and I am sure the others will not be too far behind! Moral of the story. Shop, shop, shop for the right ship to the right place at the right time at the right price!

Does RCCI do a pretty good job with kids durning spring break? Were taking our kids in March 31st 2007 on Enchantment and even though we know kids will be there we wanted to know is it organized or are they just everywhere toaming.

Until I found the CC boards I mistakenly always thought last minute deals were the best. However I now know the folly of my ways and try to book as far out as possible to get the best price.

Our Freedom cruise was booked 14 months in advance, but on our Jan 2006 cruise we booked another cruise for Feb 2007 to lock in the price and get the shipboard credit. Right now we are waiting for the Europe 2007 schedule to come out so that we can book on our May cruise or if the schedule comes out before then, transfer our Feb 2007 booking.

The information found on these boards have helped tremendously.

Thanks cruisecritic members.

We always book as far in advance as possible to get aft cabins. We know that we will get a credit if the rates go down, and we will get a full refund up until the time we pay the balance. There is really nothing to lose by booking early, and everything to gain (choice of rooms).

• 1 month later...

We book about 12 months in advance as well. We like to pick our exact cabin, plus it's so great to have something to look forward too! However, from now on we will be booking our vacation while we are on the cruise ship so we can get the perks! (it still ends up being 12 months out)

~Steph

The longest time is our next one 3/26/07 13months out. and the shortest was 5 days!

Sue

Wow! 5 days. Do you live within driving distance of the port? I've always thought it would be great to take advantage of those last minute cruise prices. Unfortunately if you have to fly, last minute means paying twice as much for air.

We have booked as close as about nine days before a cruise (Carnival Liberty) and as far away as four months. We have to kind of wait around to see what kind of health my mother is in, so we prefer to book close to a sailing. We can drive to several ports, too, so that definitely helps.

The disadvantage of booking late is that we have to take what we can get in terms of a cabin. I would love to book Freedom of the Seas for next January or February, but my Hubby digs in his heels about booking so far in advance.

Don't wait as staterooms won't last until January, especially for the Freedom. Our February 2007 cruise that we just started booking a couple weeks ago, has already gone up $200 since we booked.

Archived