How much to insure on a cruise when some of the payment is from Cruise Credit from previously cancelled cruise?

Steve - I hope that you can clarify this, but I imagine there are a number of variables.  I've tried to research this and found conflicting articles.

Specifically - Let's say a cruise was purchased with cash/credit and insured with trip insurance.   The cruise line cancelled the cruise (COVID) and issued a cruise credit.  This cruise credit we then apply to a future cruise.  

What then is the amount on the future cruise that can be insured?  I have heard that cruise credits from cancelled cruises cannot be insured.

Example 1 - Cruise credit more than covers the cost of the newly booked cruise.  i.e.  Cruise Credit is $10K and new cruise booked is $10K.

Example 2 - Cruise credit is less than the cost of the new cruise, and additional cash must be spent.  i.e. Cruise Credit is $10K and new cruise is $15K with $5K additional paid in.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Steve - I hope that you can clarify this, but I imagine there are a number of variables.  I've tried to research this and found conflicting articles.

Specifically - Let's say a cruise was purchased with cash/credit and insured with trip insurance.   The cruise line cancelled the cruise (COVID) and issued a cruise credit.  This cruise credit we then apply to a future cruise.  

What then is the amount on the future cruise that can be insured?  I have heard that cruise credits from cancelled cruises cannot be insured.

Example 1 - Cruise credit more than covers the cost of the newly booked cruise.  i.e.  Cruise Credit is $10K and new cruise booked is $10K.

Example 2 - Cruise credit is less than the cost of the new cruise, and additional cash must be spent.  i.e. Cruise Credit is $10K and new cruise is $15K with $5K additional paid in.

Thanks!

Hi CCWineLover,

First, if you have any bonus FCCs, make sure your accounting statements / documentation separate bonus FCCs from non-bonus FCCs.

Next, since your trip was insured with trip insurance, are you re-using your policy and changing the dates to your new trip? And, which policy do you have?

I'll answer the other questions after I find out which policy you have.

Steve Dasseos

11 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi CCWineLover,

First, if you have any bonus FCCs, make sure your accounting statements / documentation separate bonus FCCs from non-bonus FCCs.

Next, since your trip was insured with trip insurance, are you re-using your policy and changing the dates to your new trip? And, which policy do you have?

I'll answer the other questions after I find out which policy you have.

Steve Dasseos

Hi Steve - thanks.  

1.  One was booked and insured 2 years ago - rebooked re-using orig policy and changing dates to later 2022.   Viking issued 125% Future Cruise Value which was applied (example 2 in my comment) but didn't cover full cost of trip.  (I have to add money even above the 125%).     IMG SE policy.

-Should the policy be the 100% voucher amount plus my additional cash?  or just the additional cash?  "separate bonus FCCs from non-bonus FCCs."

2.  A new booked Viking trip just recently (through you!) using IMG SE to insure the deposit.  Have a 100% Viking large voucher that I could apply to the 2023 trip (or not) that would cover the remaining trip cost.  (Example 1 above).or I could pay the amount myself in cash.

-Should the policy be just the cash used or include the 100% voucher from a previously cancelled trip, if I use the voucher.

These are specific examples.  But curious on how best in general to insure a trip that uses a voucher, as I have still another large voucher from these COVID times.

Kent

Edited by CCWineLover

On 1/30/2022 at 9:47 AM, CCWineLover said:

Hi Steve - thanks.  

1.  One was booked and insured 2 years ago - rebooked re-using orig policy and changing dates to later 2022.   Viking issued 125% Future Cruise Value which was applied (example 2 in my comment) but didn't cover full cost of trip.  (I have to add money even above the 125%).     IMG SE policy.

-Should the policy be the 100% voucher amount plus my additional cash?  or just the additional cash?  "separate bonus FCCs from non-bonus FCCs."

2.  A new booked Viking trip just recently (through you!) using IMG SE to insure the deposit.  Have a 100% Viking large voucher that I could apply to the 2023 trip (or not) that would cover the remaining trip cost.  (Example 1 above).or I could pay the amount myself in cash.

-Should the policy be just the cash used or include the 100% voucher from a previously cancelled trip, if I use the voucher.

These are specific examples.  But curious on how best in general to insure a trip that uses a voucher, as I have still another large voucher from these COVID times.

Kent

Hi CCWineLover,

For #1, Should the policy be the 100% voucher amount plus my additional cash?  or just the additional cash?  "separate bonus FCCs from non-bonus FCCs."

The policy can be increased to a maximum of the the 100% voucher amount plus your additional cash. IMG doesn't require you to insure your trip cost if you want to self-insure part of your cost.

For #2, what caused you to have the large Viking voucher? Did Viking cancel due to Covid or did you cancel using its protection plan or was it issued a different way?

Steve Dasseos

8 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi CCWineLover,

For #1, Should the policy be the 100% voucher amount plus my additional cash?  or just the additional cash?  "separate bonus FCCs from non-bonus FCCs."

The policy can be increased to a maximum of the the 100% voucher amount plus your additional cash. IMG doesn't require you to insure your trip cost if you want to self-insure part of your cost.

For #2, what caused you to have the large Viking voucher? Did Viking cancel due to Covid or did you cancel using its protection plan or was it issued a different way?

Steve Dasseos

Thank you Steve.

For #1 - I will then increase to the max I can.  Still not sure why I hear that vouchers are not insurable.  Perhaps it depends on the reason you got the voucher? For this one, Viking cancelled us.

For #2 - We got a 100% Future Cruise Voucher from Viking from a cruise that we cancelled under Viking's Risk Free Guarantee and need to apply it somewhere up to 2 years in the future.  We cancelled because Viking massively changed the itineraries this winter 2022.   So, looking for some future cruise that costs, in order to use it all up.

Kent

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you Steve.

For #1 - I will then increase to the max I can.  Still not sure why I hear that vouchers are not insurable.  Perhaps it depends on the reason you got the voucher? For this one, Viking cancelled us.

For #2 - We got a 100% Future Cruise Voucher from Viking from a cruise that we cancelled under Viking's Risk Free Guarantee and need to apply it somewhere up to 2 years in the future.  We cancelled because Viking massively changed the itineraries this winter 2022.   So, looking for some future cruise that costs, in order to use it all up.

Kent

Hi Kent,

Let me know if you need help changing the policy for Trip #1.

For Trip#2, did you have that trip insured not through Viking before you cancelled it?

Steve