Debarkation time.

CielG22

I go on my first cruise October 2023. When I look at the itinerary, it says that the ship arrives Barcelona (end of cruise) at 5AM. How long do I have to leave the ship once it's docked? I'm cruising NCL if that is important as I guess different lines have different policies. I know it's a long way off and probably a daft question, but I have a habit of worrying about things like this.

Well you won't be able to get off at 5am, as the ship has to go thru Port clearance first, which could take an hour or more.

Also they normally start boarding for the next voyage about 11am, and need to zero the ship first (ensure all previous passengers have left) before that can begin.

Most cruise lines will assign you a disembarkation time which will usually be between 7am and 10am. You can also self disembark (carrying your luggage yourself off), which allows you a bit more flexibility but still would mean leaving within the above time frames.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a long way off.

But no, its not a daft question.

Arrival times are when the ship berths, it probably won't cleared for disembarkation til around 6.30 - 7am.

We've not sailed NCL from Europe, if they're like other cruise lines in European ports disembarkation will be in tranches (usually deck-by-deck  but sometimes other formulae) spread between about 7.30 & 9.30 am,, but they usually want everyone out of their cabins by 8 or 8.30.

If you want an earlier disembarkation slot than the one you've been allocated, ask at guest relations - they're usually very helpful if you cite your onward travel arrangements. Important to do that because luggage labels are coloured according to disembarkation time.

So a flight out of BCN afterr noon should suit nicely, but earlier is possible.

For regular disembarkation you put your bags in the hall the previous evening & they'll be collected overnight and set out in the cruise terminal in groups according to your departure slot. Because they didn't think ahead before putting their bags out, you might see one or two folk leaving the ship in their slippers - but I haven't yet seen anyone disembark in their pajamas 🤣

If even the first slot is a bit tight for your flight home, you can disembark unassisted (don't put your bags in the corridor, instead haul them from your cabin yourselves when you disembark). That's as soon as disembarkation is cleared, but don't plan to haul your own bags after regular disembarkation has started cos you'll be very very unpopular in the scrum for the lifts.

They need to get the ship ready for incoming passengers - f you're still on board by about 10 am they might throw you overboard 😉

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2

Thanks all. I don't mind getting off the ship early, I'll more than likely be awake, it's my friend who might need the shout to make sure we're off in time. Flights home are being booked for the following day as the airline I prefer to fly with departs too early for my liking in connection with the arrival time just in case there's any delay. There's airlines with later departures, but there's not enough difference in the price to make them cheap enough to tempt me.

• 2 years later...

I arrive in Southampton on May 13 and need to depart to get to Heathrow in time to checkin for 1130 flight.  How soon can I disembark and anyway to arrange expedited exit?

Edited by Chs71

25 minutes ago, Chs71 said:

I arrive in Southampton on May 13 and need to depart to get to Heathrow in time to checkin for 1130 flight.  How soon can I disembark and anyway to arrange expedited exit?

see above for general answers to your questions.

check-in for an 11:30 AM international flight usually is 9:30 AM at the latest.

do you have any preferred traveler programs or airline status that would expedite your passage through LHR?

attempting to catch an 11:30 AM flight on the day of disembarkation would be most ambitious, assuming you pull into port at 6 or 7 AM. 

how will you be getting to heathrow? NCL transfer? car service? train? and which day of the week might this be? (much less road traffic on a sunday than on a monday or friday.) for NCL coach transfers, they usually say that they are not to be used for flights departing before noon (or sometimes 1 pm).

Edited by UKstages

3 hours ago, Chs71 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can expedite exit by taking luggage off the ship by yourself (you have to be able to easily handle your luggage down the gangway and through the terminal). Line up early. If you leave the port area by about 8:00, you'll be fine. 

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

do you have any preferred traveler programs or airline status that would expedite your passage through LHR?

attempting to catch an 11:30 AM flight on the day of disembarkation would be most ambitious, assuming you pull into port at 6 or 7 AM. 

how will you be getting to heathrow? NCL transfer? car service? train? and which day of the week might this be? (much less road traffic on a sunday than on a monday or friday.) for NCL coach transfers, they usually say that they are not to be used for flights departing before noon (or sometimes 1 pm).

Thanks I just changed my flight to make sure

• Like 1

i think that's a wise move.

for what it's worth, LHR has a lot of diversions post-security to amuse yourself... many fine restaurants and lounges and world class duty free shops, if you're so inclined. you could meander for a good two hours without getting bored, if you're not running for a flight.

6 hours ago, UKstages said:

Thanks. I changed flying time out

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can expedite exit by taking luggage off the ship by yourself (you have to be able to easily handle your luggage down the gangway and through the terminal). Line up early. If you leave the port area by about 8:00, you'll be fine. 

Thanks  I just changed flight departure.

29 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i think that's a wise move.

for what it's worth, LHR has a lot of diversions post-security to amuse yourself... many fine restaurants and lounges and world class duty free shops, if you're so inclined. you could meander for a good two hours without getting bored, if you're not running for a flight.

thanks