regent insurance vs others

Lonedaddy

I tried finding the answer but nothing come up on this.  How does regents insurance compare to others ?  My TA says they aren't insurance trained so cant give advice.  It seems the allianz insurance offered by AMEX is a bit less than regents so what is special about regents vs a third party or is there a website that answers these type of questions?

I would never use the cruise line's own insurance, particularly these days. By definition, it will not include carrier default coverage. And while it looks like Regent will survive all this, not every cruise line has and there are too many twists and turns left to be seen.

I's suggest looking at insuremytrip.com to review private insurer options. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another good option is Aarby.com. They are AARP recommended and search for the best coverage from about 30 insurers. I have used them many times and always had better coverage that the cruise ship offers, usually at a lower cost. In today's environment the cruise lines do not offer enough coverage. Go big and feel safe.

• Thanks 1

Regent charges 8% of the cost of the cruise (I think). That is quite expensive in my experience.  

First, always determine how much coverage you want for specific possibilities.  In that I mean, all policies cover cancellation.  So do you need pre-existing condition coverage?  Do you need high medical and medical evac.?  Do you want "cancel for any reason."  Once you do that, you can compare policies and coverages for the policy that best suits your needs. 

Look on sights that compares policies.  I like Insuremytrip.com.  You can see the options side by side.  Then you can narrow it down to what best covers you for your individual needs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Regent charges 8% of the cost of the cruise (I think). That is quite expensive in my experience.  

First, always determine how much coverage you want for specific possibilities.  In that I mean, all policies cover cancellation.  So do you need pre-existing condition coverage?  Do you need high medical and medical evac.?  Do you want "cancel for any reason."  Once you do that, you can compare policies and coverages for the policy that best suits your needs. 

Look on sights that compares policies.  I like Insuremytrip.com.  You can see the options side by side.  Then you can narrow it down to what best covers you for your individual needs. 

You must be under 70...  8% is a good price and that is the advantage of a cruise line policy for anyone over 70.

Suggest the OP try https://tripinsurancestore.com/  very competitive and you can compare the difference and price.  Owner of the site is very helpful in providing the best coverage for your need.

• Like 4

We agree with PaulMCO. Steve Dasseos at the trip insurance store is very helpful. We have never bought insurance through Regent.

We have had very good luck with AIG/Travel Guard. We needed to file two claims during the WC2017, and they were very timely in their response and refunds. Because of that, they are the only company (so far) that we will use. We plan to call Steve about coverage for our WC2023, because it’s a longer/ more tricky insurance-wise.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 9:31 AM, PaulMCO said:

You must be under 70...  8% is a good price and that is the advantage of a cruise line policy for anyone over 70.

Actually, I turned 70 last year,  but I haven't priced insurance since.   I have a cruises coming up in 2023 and 2024  so thanks for the heads up!😎