Need Info/advice requesting refund due to positive COVID test at the pier 1/29/22

umpire56

Hoping I can get some information or advice.  I tested positive (asymptomatic) on 1/29/22 at the pier before boarding, my fiance’ negative. Both of our PCR tests 4 days before were negative.  We were denied boarding and given very little information on how to get a refund other than to fill out the form and request the refund.  It asks to allow 30 days for them to respond and they give you a case#. I’ve called NCL to find out the process and to ask questions about whether it is quicker to request a FCC because we decided we would book a cruise in July for a honeymoon (getting married in June).  I cannot get anyone to help me.  I have to wait until I am contacted. Does anyone have any experience with this happening?

It seems from posts here that POM cancellations etc, are able to get information from NCL customer service.  We can’t book our honeymoon cruise until we are reimbursed for this cruise.  Sorry so long…

Edited by umpire56

I tested positive while on the 12/27 Getaway and submitted a Guest Relations form on 1/7 for a refund for the days I was in isolation on the ship.  I just heard back from them today (1/31) with a form letter telling me to open a claim with my travel insurance - which I had bought through them.  I've copied the letter below.  I don't know if the process is the same when testing positive before embarkation.

Thank you for writing in and for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your vacation at sea. 

We recognize the time and effort in planning a cruise vacation and sincerely regret to learn of the circumstance that has interrupted your cruise vacation. We truly sympathize with your situation and wish you a speedy recovery. 

To allow as much flexibility as possible, guests and their travel companions assigned to the same stateroom who are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, are entitled to a prorated refund of the fare paid in the form of future cruise credits, or at their discretion, a monetary refund to original form of payment when requested within six (6) months of reservation cancelation date, in the event their claim for refund is denied by their insurance provider.  

In reviewing your reservation, you purchased travel insurance through Norwegian Cruise Line. AON, Ltd is the insurance carrier through which all insurance claims must be made for reimbursement. To file a claim, kindly call their direct number at 1-800-722-5672 or visit their website at www.aontravelclaim.com. 

As mentioned on the letter you may have received onboard, we kindly ask that you first file a claim with your insurance carrier for reimbursement of your cruise fare and applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine you may have endured. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by your travel insurance providing that you are able to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date.?  

Should your insurance claim be denied, please reply to this email with the documents requested below so we may move forward with your request for future cruise credit or monetary refund: 

(1) Letter of insurance claim denial 
(2) Requested form of refund  
(3) If seeking reimbursement for out of pocket expenses related to any mandatory quarantine: 

a.    Receipts for out of pocket expenses for the following items: 

•    Reasonable transportation from the terminal to the hospital or hotel, and from the hospital or hotel to the airport.  
•    Hotel stay for the length determined by MedCon and approved by Norwegian Cruise Line. 
•    Up to USD $100.00, per day per guest for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  

b.    Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72 hours of sail date. Kindly ensure that the letter includes the following: 

•    Name of testing site 
•    Guest’s name and Date of Birth 
•    Date of the test 
•    Negative test result 

?
In the event you have not secured travel insurance, please reply to this email with the requested documents under items (2), (3.a), and (3.b) above. 

Please be advised that all other incidentals, including, but not limited to, prescription drug refills, laundry, medical expenses and/or hospitalization costs are ineligible for reimbursement by Norwegian Cruise Line.  

Once we have received your reply with the requested information, we will review and revert to you as soon as possible.  

In addition, any further comments you would like us to address, we kindly ask that you provide further details by replying to this email. Please be advised that we ask that our guests provide us with detailed comments in written form so we may have a record attached to this case number. By doing so, we will be able to efficiently assist and can reach out with resolution.

To avoid any delays, we kindly ask that you do not open additional cases for this request. 

We are incredibly appreciative of your loyalty and thank you for this opportunity to assist you.

Sincerely,

Ok thank you.  We did not have insurance on our cruise.  We were told it didn’t matter that we would be reimbursed anyway.  You open entire case on 1/7 and heard back 1/31.  Not too bad.  I just feel it was 24 days list when someone could have just told you with a phone call to file the claim     Thank you for the info 

Edited by umpire56

1 hour ago, callmebetty said:

I hate to be the one to say this, but you said your test was 4 days before. The fine print says it needs to be within 72 of departure. Maybe they would give you FCC if not a refund?

We are sailing on the Bliss departing this Friday and the current policy for refunds states the following:

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

I'm not sure when it changed but we wanted to make sure we wouldn't have any issues if one of us tests positive at the port so I printed out NCL's most current policy.

4 hours ago, umpire56 said:

Hoping I can get some information or advice.  I tested positive (asymptomatic) on 1/29/22 at the pier before boarding, my fiance’ negative. Both of our PCR tests 4 days before were negative.  We were denied boarding and given very little information on how to get a refund other than to fill out the form and request the refund.  It asks to allow 30 days for them to respond and they give you a case#. I’ve called NCL to find out the process and to ask questions about whether it is quicker to request a FCC because we decided we would book a cruise in July for a honeymoon (getting married in June).  I cannot get anyone to help me.  I have to wait until I am contacted. Does anyone have any experience with this happening?

It seems from posts here that POM cancellations etc, are able to get information from NCL customer service.  We can’t book our honeymoon cruise until we are reimbursed for this cruise.  Sorry so long…

What a mess it can become, you followed all the rules plus got a test 96 hours before (a PCR as well which is more accurate), and I hope you get this cleared up quickly.

It will all work out,  just as if you had a positive test 96 hours prior, but it is hard when you are playing the waiting game.

The website clearly states that you will receive a refund if you are not allowed to board.  How long that takes is another question. 

What port was this at and what did you do after getting the results?  Did they provide any guidance to you with regards to quarantine?

Edited by Lucky33

4 hours ago, umpire56 said:

Hope you hear back soon and have a speedy resolution.   

Wondering  what departing port you were at and did NCL give you any assistance when you were denied boarding?

Does anyone know if they are accepting proof of recovery in place of a negative test?  Hubby tested positive last week and we are cruising in two weeks.  He is symptom free and almost "freed" from isolation, but I am worried about getting the negative test.  His doctor will give him a letter stating that he is fully recovered - which would be good enough to get back into the US on a flight.  But I can't find this info anywhere for the ship.

2 hours ago, Cinziaeye said:

Does anyone know if they are accepting proof of recovery in place of a negative test?  Hubby tested positive last week and we are cruising in two weeks.  He is symptom free and almost "freed" from isolation, but I am worried about getting the negative test.  His doctor will give him a letter stating that he is fully recovered - which would be good enough to get back into the US on a flight.  But I can't find this info anywhere for the ship.

I haven’t seen anywhere that this would be acceptable.  You need to do the antigen test before cruising, not the PCR.  The PCR can stay negative for a lot longer.  The antigen test is what the home tests are and what they are doing at the pier.

14 hours ago, Cinziaeye said:

Nope, unfortunately.

41 minutes ago, misstamster said:

They are discouraging a retest for 90 days

Unless you have to take a PCR test you should generally be fine.  PCR tests are more sensitive and will pick up a recent infection for as long as 90 days, an antigen test is not as sensitive and usually won't give a positive result during that same time period.

22 hours ago, misstamster said:

Curious on what you did. I tested positive PCR on Feb 4. Booked to sail Feb. 28th. They are discouraging a retest for 90 days. Did you retest? Did you cruise?.

Thanks

22 hours ago, hallux said:

Unless you have to take a PCR test you should generally be fine.  PCR tests are more sensitive and will pick up a recent infection for as long as 90 days, an antigen test is not as sensitive and usually won't give a positive result during that same time period.

We tested positive via pcr 2 days before our cruise so we cancelled and rescheduled for the first week in March.  We plan on doing antigen testing instead of PCR testing for the reason hallux posted.  PCR is too sensitive for our situation and we don’t want to risk a positive test due to an old infection.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:43 PM, Cinziaeye said:

There's been a bit of an update here.  Both Disney and Carnival have started accepting proof of recovery in lieu of testing, but NCL has not as of now.