How do you contact someone that can do something at MSC?

ready2cruzagain

Booked a Handicap cabin last year.  Then was taken out and put into a Guarantee.  Have my paperwork in showing needing the bathroom special facilities. Not in a wheelchair but do need seating and railing.  Received an email stating they were working on my Handicap cabin.

Was told by CS that I would receive a H cabin and if not to call and they will work it out.

Received assignment, was put in a regular cabin. Called CS was told nothing they could do the SR was still open.  Emailed SR again, reminding them that they had sent a letter saying I would get my H cabin back. 

Just received an email not even talking about the Handicap cabin but telling me they do not supply distilled water. Well, duh, they haven't for years.  They never mentioned about my H cabin being taken away.

We cruise in 25 days and will change cruises if I have to but I need to know what is going on and why I can't get the cabin back. Have never had this type of problem with them before. CS refuses to escalate to a Supervisor.  

Any suggestions??

14 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

Wow. That’s just not right. I didn’t possibly think MSC would downgrade a passenger requiring accessible cabin into a regular one. I’m at a loss on suggestions….

Well they have and I am at a loss also.  Always had a Handicap cabin, sent in Disability Paperwork and everything.  I have no clue where else to turn.  CS is no help. SR keeps talking about CPAP and ignoring the fact that my handicap cabin has been removed.

Not happy at this moment.

5 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Well they have and I am at a loss also.  Always had a Handicap cabin, sent in Disability Paperwork and everything.  I have no clue where else to turn.  CS is no help. SR keeps talking about CPAP and ignoring the fact that my handicap cabin has been removed.

Not happy at this moment.

I just read cruise ships are subject to ADA so long as they’re in US water. I suppose you can start filing a formal complaint and give them a copy??? To take you more seriously and just move u back to accessible cabin? I’m not sure but this is just wrong on many levels. 

14 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

I just read cruise ships are subject to ADA so long as they’re in US water. I suppose you can start filing a formal complaint and give them a copy??? To take you more seriously and just move u back to accessible cabin? I’m not sure but this is just wrong on many levels. 

Will definitely mention this when I try calling again tomorrow and will go from there. I could understand if I had not sent in proof but I did.

41 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Will definitely mention this when I try calling again tomorrow and will go from there. I could understand if I had not sent in proof but I did.

I'm not sure if this is the right agency to lobby ADA complaints for cruise ships, but I can only imagine sending them a complaint plus forwarding the same complaint to MSC just might get you that accessible room.

https://www.ada.gov/filing_complaint.htm#:~:text=Contact the ADA Information Line,Department staff to contact you.

I think best on answer to FAQ #3, it probably will take them "weeks" just to look  at the formal complaint - but a copy of it may serve as a carrot/stick for MSC to do the right thing for your cruise.

Best of luck to you.  This is really messed up in many ways.  Not like they're older ship that cannot accommodate ADA or accessible rooms...

On ancillary note, one of the states we worked/lived in would literally go around with laser levels and rip up side walks that's 2.01% cross slope vs. 2.00% cross slope---so small no one in a wheel chair will ever notice that small of a difference.  It's amazing how much ADA application differs from the place to place---with MSC just flatly ignoring you. 

The only other suggestion I have is to have your doctor provide you a letter that you have a disability of XYZ and attach to another/new request.  That may carry some more weight than self-certification of request for accommodation

Edited by FrostyJoe

Make sure you call early. When you speak to CS, ask them to make sure the SR was routed to Inventory not just Special Needs. Also asked if it has been "actioned" at all. If not, request they send a follow up. They are the ones that have to reassign the cabin. And, of course, that department is across the pond so their work day is done around noon east coast US time.

Don't know what type of HC you booked but if you are on the Seashore on the 26th, there is only one balcony HC open. A few interiors and some YC's also. Hence the urgency. And although it's not a bad idea, the threat of or an actual ADA complaint won't get them to do it any faster, if at all.

This page lists some contacts that may help. https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/msc-cruises/

I can tell you Sarah and Albino are not the right ones to go to, but an email to Massimo or Rick may get something accomplished. Good luck.

Bret

Just now, cruiseguyinorl said:

Make sure you call early. When you speak to CS, ask them to make sure the SR was routed to Inventory not just Special Needs. Also asked if it has been "actioned" at all. If not, request they send a follow up. They are the ones that have to reassign the cabin. And, of course, that department is across the pond so their work day is done around noon east coast US time.

Don't know what type of HC you booked but if you are on the Seashore on the 26th, there is only one balcony HC open. A few interiors and some YC's also. Hence the urgency. And although it's not a bad idea, the threat of or an actual ADA complaint won't get them to do it any faster, if at all.

This page lists some contacts that may help. https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/msc-cruises/

I can tell you Sarah and Albino are not the right ones to go to, but an email to Massimo or Rick may get something accomplished. Good luck.

Bret

Well said Bret. Especially when they won’t even adjudicate this fast in time for the ops cruise.  And if MSC delivers fast hopefully, nothing to adjudicate/moot at that point. 

Would the doctors note help in this case at all?

This is just not right on many levels. I do hope the op can get the accessible cabin assigned again asap. And if this happened to anyone in the past, I do hope they consider taking the time to somehow report what happened to folks who may ultimately help MSC not to do this in the future….For the love of God MSC, don’t mess with folks who actually need accessible cabins!!!  They have other folks they can play the downgrade/reassignment games with 😏

8 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Bret

Thank you for your help! Makes sense that it might just be going to Special Needs and not to Inventory.  I will try that route.  Hopefully it works.  If not, I will then try the emails.  

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I can weigh in on my personal experience.  I know you have a 14-day booking.  I have a B2B, and had the same YC room at first for both sailings.  They then changed the second week to a GTY.  I called and they said they couldn't give me the HC room for week two, and said there was no paperwork.  Luckily, I keep my emails so I was able to give the rep the number assigned to my HC form paperwork sent in to existing reservations.  Once the rep had that number, she was able to attach it to the inventory record and everything was fixed.

There is also another potential problem you may face.  While Bret is right on availability for 2/26, I'm wondering if he checked on our second week 3/5.  When I do, it shows a lot less inventory available.  In YC at least, no HC balcony, and I think only one HC interior.  It may that the system is not seeing a room for both weeks.  That happened to us a few years ago, and using ADA guidelines an MSC policy, based on seniority of the reservation (based on date of reservation and date of submission of the special needs form, they bumped a later reservation and accommodated us.  Just something to consider when you are talking with CS.  John

24 minutes ago, JAGR said:

That happened to us a few years ago, and using ADA guidelines an MSC policy, based on seniority of the reservation (based on date of reservation and date of submission of the special needs form, they bumped a later reservation and accommodated us.  Just something to consider when you are talking with CS.  John

Best of luck to the OP.  I really hope whomever got the accessible cabin that may be bumped (rightfully) are not folks who actually need the accessible cabins also.  Otherwise round and round we go with another one down the drain....  If that's the case, I have to ask why does MSC oversell/book accessible cabins.  Perhaps its like what one of the posters here said before that MSC: their right hand does not talk to their left hand.

8 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

If that's the case, I have to ask why does MSC oversell/book accessible cabins.  Perhaps its like what one of the posters here said before that MSC: their right hand does not talk to their left hand.

Actually, the left hand doesn't even know what the left hand is doing!  In theory, MSC does not overbook HC rooms.  If there are none showing when you are booking, you won't be able to book in that category.  You can, however, contact MSC customer service and ask them to check that all HC rooms you are looking for in your experience/category have been secured with Special Need forms properly submitted.  If the system sees that not all the reservations are backed up with the form, they can move those people out of their room and put someone with the proper paperwork in.  We had this happen to someone who was going to be on our 3/5 cruise that lost her room.  In her case, she did not submit the form because she didn't need HC accommodation, but booked the room because it was available at the time.  It was an assume risk on her part.  For ReadytoCruise, she is in a different situation.  Apparently, she booked the cabin and submitted the form properly, but it wasn't handle properly.  Note, she is honest, saying she doesn't need a wheelchair accessible cabin, but has mobility needs.  She is well within her rights.  The ADA does not apply to wheelchairs only.  The compounding factor is that MSC only has one class of rooms for disabilities.  Some cruise lines are more specific.  Carnival, for example, has HC rooms classified for ambulatory accessible, fully accessible single side, and fully accessible both sides.  I'm hoping she's got all her ducks in a row and that they can find accommodation that doesn't unnecessarily inconvenience another physically challenged reservation.

Here is the update so far. I called and at first CS said she could not help me that the SR case was still open so I explained everything to her and asked her about if it was sent to Inventory or if it is still just with Special Needs. She said she could not see any of that information.  I was able to have her contact a supervisor (which is a first) and they opened a new ticket to get it resolved and sent to Inventory.  From the way it sounds it was thrown into a Guarantee but then never went to Inventory.  They told me it would take 72 hours before I hear anything. 

I sure am hoping this works.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will keep you informed.

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

Actually, the left hand doesn't even know what the left hand is doing!  In theory, MSC does not overbook HC rooms.  If there are none showing when you are booking, you won't be able to book in that category.  You can, however, contact MSC customer service and ask them to check that all HC rooms you are looking for in your experience/category have been secured with Special Need forms properly submitted.  If the system sees that not all the reservations are backed up with the form, they can move those people out of their room and put someone with the proper paperwork in.  We had this happen to someone who was going to be on our 3/5 cruise that lost her room.  In her case, she did not submit the form because she didn't need HC accommodation, but booked the room because it was available at the time.  It was an assume risk on her part.  For ReadytoCruise, she is in a different situation.  Apparently, she booked the cabin and submitted the form properly, but it wasn't handle properly.  Note, she is honest, saying she doesn't need a wheelchair accessible cabin, but has mobility needs.  She is well within her rights.  The ADA does not apply to wheelchairs only.  The compounding factor is that MSC only has one class of rooms for disabilities.  Some cruise lines are more specific.  Carnival, for example, has HC rooms classified for ambulatory accessible, fully accessible single side, and fully accessible both sides.  I'm hoping she's got all her ducks in a row and that they can find accommodation that doesn't unnecessarily inconvenience another physically challenged reservation.

I sure hope I have all of my ducks in a row also!  I think I do but I am blonde☹️🤣 I did send in the form filled out and sent them paperwork for proof of disability. Told them if they need more paperwork I would get it for them. Special needs did send me an email notifying me that they were working on getting H cabin reassigned a long time ago.  They never asked for more proof but I would think what I sent would have been plenty of proof.

I would never want to inconvenience anyone else that is physically challenged but like I said, I have to have the restroom facilities that they do not provide in a regular cabin. I explained that to them when I sent in my SR form along with my disability papers.

Good luck. 

Even if your assigned one they will probably take it away. I had that happen for a Seashore cruise in December. I did not need an HC but a more covered balcony and had sent in the doctor forms and all.

I ended up in YC due to a bid.

I still have an open SR from another issue and it has been actioned upon but no resolution yet.

The whole customer service is a POS.

Don't trust anything they say! And expect to get screwed at the port. If not, great.

They took a cabin from me too for a May cruise on the Seashore. It's Aurea, which still shows, but with a guaranty. I called, but felt like i was talking to a wall. I don't think anyone in the U.S. has authority to do anything. Maybe I'll try the Pope, but he probably wouldn't deal with MSC either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

They took a cabin from me too for a May cruise on the Seashore. It's Aurea, which still shows, but with a guaranty. I called, but felt like i was talking to a wall. I don't think anyone in the U.S. has authority to do anything. Maybe I'll try the Pope, but he probably wouldn't deal with MSC either.

If the Pope works, let me know.  🤣  But seriously, at first they said because cabin categories being changed then was told due to Covid, cmon! Get your story straight!  I find no reason for them to be taking cabins away.  If they need cabins for Covid then set aside a block of cabins and do not book them, simple!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, deliver42 said:

You raise a good point here. Agents in US seems like they can only talk to “supervisors” via chat. And no way to transfer us to their “supervisor”.  And no power/authority to do anything on the spot besides chat with supervisor or send tickets in.  I will say though the vast majority of the agents I’ve spoken to were much friendlier than run of the mill American company’s front line agents. 

I wonder if UK MSC call centers have the same deal or if not (and have the ability to transfer to supervisor, authority to do BM apply applicable discounts on demand, etc) and whether they can work on US passenger booking for US based sailings 

Edited by FrostyJoe

Well I woke up this morning to a wonderful surprise!  Received an email stating my cabin had been changed.  Not the original cabin but it works for me! It was the type of cabin we originally booked! YAY!  

Thanks Bret! What you suggested worked about it sending the cabin to inventory worked! I owe you one!

Thanks everyone for your help! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Well I woke up this morning to a wonderful surprise!  Received an email stating my cabin had been changed.  Not the original cabin but it works for me! It was the type of cabin we originally booked! YAY!  

Thanks Bret! What you suggested worked about it sending the cabin to inventory worked! I owe you one!

Thanks everyone for your help! 

Congratulations!!

I am impressed. Let's hope they don't change it again.

• Like 2