The fate of the current M/S PG…?

VirgilB

Perhaps this has already been discussed, and if so, I apologize for being redundant.
From what I have read, they (Ponant) are planning to position two new more modern ships in French Polynesia.

If so, under these current conditions, what might be the fate of the current M/S Paul Gauguin…? There seems be a growing list of available cruise ships listed by brokers…

Your jumping the gun  ....

The new ships are not likely until 2024 at the earliest. When they do arrive they will be used for more of an explorer class ship going to some islands that the PG doesn't currently go. 

The PG is scheduled for drydock in early 2023 and then will return to continue on in FP waters.

Of course Ponant could do anything but this is what I've been told from someone currently in the know.

5 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The PG is scheduled for drydock in early 2023 and then will return to continue on in FP waters.

Good to know. Thanks! Perhaps we should look to book a cruise in the 2024 itinerary…?
BTW, we love the avatar…😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VirgilB said:

This article is about 2 years old and much has changed since, but worth a read.

https://cruise-arabia.com/2019/11/24/paul-gauguin-cruises-triples-fleet-size-with-new-order-from-fincantieri/

Comments on these new ships?

69A00773-39CD-446A-A5C3-55790F6988D4.webp

Those are pictures of Ponant ships, not their planned new PG ships.

24 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Those are pictures of Ponant ships, not their planned new PG ships.

Though they seem to be an artist rendering, the article included this image. The caption in the article reads… “The new ships for Paul Gauguin Cruises will be closely based on the new expedition ships being built for Ponant by the same shipyard.”

My understanding is that they would be similar to their Explorer class ship, but merely lack the hulls required for cruises in the Arctic and Antarctic waters. Otherwise, they would be quite similar.

In my attempt to locate the article to explain that, I found this…

https://latteluxurynews.com/2021/11/23/paul-gauguin-cruises-pauses-vessel-expansion-plans/

That answers that…

I tried to edit my last post here, but for some reason I was unable.

I confused the Ponant Explorer and Polar Explorer class so ignore that second paragraph; 

31 minutes ago, VirgilB said:

My understanding is that they would be similar to their Explorer class ship, but merely lack the hulls required for cruises in the Arctic and Antarctic waters. Otherwise, they would be quite similar.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2022 at 6:18 AM, VirgilB said:

This article is about 2 years old and much has changed since, but worth a read.

https://cruise-arabia.com/2019/11/24/paul-gauguin-cruises-triples-fleet-size-with-new-order-from-fincantieri/

Comments on these new ships?

69A00773-39CD-446A-A5C3-55790F6988D4.webp

Hi, we did a couple of trips on Le Laperouse when she was new in 2019 around Australia/NZ. The Explorer-class ships are great, with a maximum of about 180 pax, but often travelling with 150 or so (some of the cabins are joined to make the suites). Good facilities for a small ship, including pool and spa. Very good marina at the rear (the whole back deck lifts up and over the rear of the ship and becomes a docking pier). Only 2 eateries, a formal restaurant with some external seating, and a grill by the pool. Very good viewing decks at the front. Carries about 12 RIBs for excursions/transfers. Cabins are small but beautifully appointed. Hope that helps!