Land Tour pre-cruise Covid test

srpilo

We're doing a cruise-tour, and our land portion is pre-cruise, so just wondering how the 2-day pre-cruise test requirement will be handled, we'll be on tour in Denali with HAL at the two day prior mark ?

So any idea's how HAL will handle the pre-boarding testing for the pre-cruise land tours?

We decided to cancel this same cruise for this very reason.  I spent the past 2 days on the

phone to Holland America and tour operator and no one can tell us how we will get

a valid pcr test in Denali or Anchorage (day 2 or 3) so we can board the this on day 4.

Do not feel comfortable with this, will take FCC for our deposit, full payment not due

until 2/22/22.

Gary and Nancy R.

Under HAL's worry-free promise Health, as of January 3, 2022, this is what it says.  I believe any ending date has been removed:

Updated January 3, 2022

You’re ready to explore again, and we’re here for you. Sailing with Holland America Line isn’t just one of the best ways to see the world — it’s also one of the safest.
On board and ashore, we're going above and beyond with exemplary standards for health, cleanliness and extraordinary guest service so you can get back to what you love: cruising, connecting with loved ones and celebrating every step of the journey with confidence.

Vaccinations & Testing

For everyone’s safety and peace of mind, all guests must be fully vaccinated and provide a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken within the 2 days before sailing. If you’re required to take a test before you return to your home country, we’ll provide one for you at no charge. Review our FAQs to learn more.

NO.  The cruise tour was booked via a travel agent or tour

company based in California who are managing the land

tours during which we will need a pcr 48 hours before we

can get On the HAL ship.  This part of the trip has nothing

to do with HAL.  They have no plan and will not have one

until 60 days before the trip MAYBE.  Yet they want our

$8k now.  That is why we are distressed.

40 minutes ago, grooker said:

we will need a pcr 48 hours before we

can get On the HAL ship.  This part of the trip has nothing to do with HAL….

Curious who is telling you a PCR test is needed? It is my understanding that antigen tests are also accepted.

Many travelers use the medically-supervised home kits, with a doctor verifying via video chat.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, srpilo said:

So any idea's how HAL will handle the pre-boarding testing for the pre-cruise land tours?

I’ve read reports of numerous passengers on one HAL ship leaving and boarding another HAL ship who were able to get their tests onboard by prior arrangement. While not the same scenario, it is a similar situation.

Is there an e-mail address for the tour part? I would imagine that department would already have the answer, even if it has not yet been made public to other departments.

Edited by syesmar

2 hours ago, grooker said:

That is the problem they have no plan and are telling us NOTHING .

If HAL has nothing to do with your land tour in advance of the cruise, then HAL has no responsibility for testing arrangements (should testing still be necessary then). The responsibility is with you, and the tour company. 

No one knows what the rules will be then, so I can understand that your tour company hasn't announced any concrete plans.
Is everyone on the land tour continuing to the cruise? If not, I expect you would be on your own to get tested, which you could do up to the day you board. If everyone on the land portion is going on the cruise, I expect the tour company would be making testing plans for the entire group. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

If HAL has nothing to do with your land tour in advance of the cruise, then HAL has no responsibility for testing arrangements (should testing still be necessary then). The responsibility is with you, and the tour company. 

OP here..  We booked a HAL cruise tour thru HAL directly , so HAL is not a separate land tour company, ---> HAL train cars, HAL lodges, and HAL tour reps during the entire pre-cruise land portion ---- So I absolutely feel and think that HAL is responsible for providing at a minimum the opportunity and location to be tested (if still required ) pre-cruise, or if not testing us directly in Whittier.

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, srpilo said:

OP here..  We booked a HAL cruise tour thru HAL directly , so HAL is not a separate land tour company…

@srpilo your situation is different from that of @grooker that RuthC was addressing. You booked your land portion through HAL, they did not.

I wish you the best! Please let us know what HAL eventually says about this.

• Like 1

At this

point we do not care who is responsible for arranging the testing.

What we do care about is that we are not going to give anyone $8k until we ha ve coherent and specific answers as to how and when pre-cruise testing, which is in

the middle of a land tour, will happen.  

Your situation is different from that of @grooker that RuthC was addressing. You booked your land portion through HAL, they did not.

I wish you the best! Please let us know what HAL eventually says about this

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess that's the problem when not using the quote feature when replying to a specific post...

No worries I'll certainly report back any testing formation I hear directly from HAL about any pre-boarding logistics for the  pre-cruise land tour

😉

Edited by srpilo

7 hours ago, srpilo said:

I guess that's the problem when not using the quote feature when replying to a specific post...

However, I did use the quote feature, so it should have been clear to anyone reading my post exactly who I was answering.