Last minute, thought I had purchased insurance but did not

Sunshine2U

Hi, excuse me but I don't have time to do a lot of research and relying on y'all to point me in the right direction here...

We are cruising in two weeks and are facing imminent passing of a relative. I went to read the legal language on our travel policy only to discover I (apparently) never completed the online purchase. We need to know if and what to purchase at this point. My questions:

- How late can I purchase the insurance before travel? We would know within the next week if we are able to cruise, or not. 

- Our primary reason for purchase would be to cover medical expenses in case of COVID or other sickness, as well as cover expenses related to the sickness.

- It looks like Carnival will give us credit if we can't board due to positive test, and while I would like to not lose any money, the cost of the cruise was super inexpensive and we could afford to lose that expense if we had to. We are driving to port and pre-cruise hotel can be cancelled same day. 

- What else should I consider - we are a bit rattled here.

TIA!

My best advice since you are limited on time is to talk to one of the agents at Trip Insurance Store. They can help you find the policy that meets your needs and can advise for special circumstances.

You can still buy insurance, but it is too late to cover pre-existing conditions. If you are concerned about the passing of a relative, ask if the policy restrictions extend to family members not traveling with you.

All of the policies sold by Trip Insurance Store cover COVID. 

• Like 1

You can purchase policies right before travel begins, but some policy provisions require purchase shortly after your initial deposit or before final payment. I would call https://tripinsurancestore.com/and talk with Steve or one of his people.  They are in this afternoon.  They will listen, ask questions and let you know if there is a good policy that will cover everything you want and need. 

Things to consider based on your post:

• a policy that does not consider pre-existing conditions of non-traveling family members (in case the relative took a turn for the worse and you needed to cancel or interrupt your trip)
  • a policy without COVID or pandemic exclusions
  • understanding how the policy defines pre-existing conditions and if it would pertain to you or your traveling companions
  • understanding what the policy would cover and not cover if you tested positive for COVID (For example if you had to interrupt your trip and had to "quarantine" in a hotel for a week, most policies would not cover the "quarantine" expenses. If however, you were in a hospital, you would probably be covered)
  • your need for primary medical coverage, or is secondary OK (depends mostly on what your regular health insurance covers)

Good luck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine2U said:

Hi, excuse me but I don't have time to do a lot of research and relying on y'all to point me in the right direction here...

We are cruising in two weeks and are facing imminent passing of a relative. I went to read the legal language on our travel policy only to discover I (apparently) never completed the online purchase. We need to know if and what to purchase at this point. My questions:

- How late can I purchase the insurance before travel? We would know within the next week if we are able to cruise, or not. 

- Our primary reason for purchase would be to cover medical expenses in case of COVID or other sickness, as well as cover expenses related to the sickness.

- It looks like Carnival will give us credit if we can't board due to positive test, and while I would like to not lose any money, the cost of the cruise was super inexpensive and we could afford to lose that expense if we had to. We are driving to port and pre-cruise hotel can be cancelled same day. 

- What else should I consider - we are a bit rattled here.

TIA!

Hi Sunshine2U,

You may buy a trip cancellation plan not later than 2 days before something happened where you wish you had already bought the insurance.

In other words, if nothing's happened where you potentially will have a claim, you can buy it.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1