I tested positive 2/1 and cruise on 2/20. What should I do?

ChinaShrek

So, I tested positive for Covid on Tuesday, February 1 and my cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale on February 20. Should I just cancel now (and get the FCC) or can I assume I will test negative on 2/18 (when I fly to Fort Lauderdale) and get to go on the cruise? What would you guys do? Thanks.

From the FAQs on HAL's site - Exceptions may apply for fully vaccinated asymptomatic guests that have tested positive for COVID-19 in the 90 days prior to embarkation, and are fully recovered. Guests will need to provide a letter of recovery from their doctor and, laboratory test results that are not older than 90 days.

You should be fine cruising 19 days after testing positive.  There's a good chance your test on 2/18 will be negative anyway, especially if you do the antigen test rather than pcr test.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

So, I tested positive for Covid on Tuesday, February 1 and my cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale on February 20. Should I just cancel now (and get the FCC) or can I assume I will test negative on 2/18 (when I fly to Fort Lauderdale) and get to go on the cruise? What would you guys do? Thanks.

If you get tested on 2/18 be sure it is a RAPID ANTIGEN test not a PCR test.  A Rapid Antigen test shows if you are infected NOW.  PCR tests can still continue to show you are positive up to 90 days after you were infected even though you are recovered.  We had a similar experience and were able to cruise without a doctor's letter or additional lab testing, just a negative Rapid Antigen test.

• Like 5

Just now, farjar said:

If you get tested on 2/18 be sure it is a RAPID ANTIGEN test not a PCR test.  A Rapid Antigen test shows if you are infected NOW.  PCR tests can still continue to show you are positive up to 90 days after you were infected even though you are recovered.  We had a similar experience and were able to cruise without a doctor's letter or additional lab testing, just a negative Rapid Antigen test.

Thank you. This is reassuring.

I'd take the test result and head to your doctor (after 5 days in isolation after you tested positive) to get a letter stating in words from a doctor what HAL needs to see to let you on the cruise if you test positive two days before the cruise.  Best to have as many ducks in a row, in writing, before boarding.  We'd thought about the same scenario, but we don't cruise until early April.  

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 5

I copied and pasted this from the CDC website.  I have included this link and 2 other links below that may help you. When you open the CDC link, scan down until you see "What if I recently recovered from Covid-19?" and you will read what I pasted below.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#general

People who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after their infection. CDC does not recommend retesting within 3 months after a person with COVID-19 first developed symptoms of COVID-19 (or the date their sample was taken for their first positive viral diagnostic test if their infection was asymptomatic).

If you have had a positive viral test on a sample taken during the past 90 days, and you have met the criteria to travel, you may travel instead with your positive viral test results and a signed letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel according to CDC’s travel guidance. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.”

A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to travel, must have information that identifies you personally (e.g., name and date of birth) that matches the personal identifiers on your passport or other travel documents. The letter must be signed and dated on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official who signed the letter.

If you have recovered from COVID-19 but are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the requirements, you will need to show a negative COVID-19 viral test result from a sample taken no more than 1 day before your flight to the US departs.

Even if you have recovered from COVID-19, if you develop symptoms of COVID-19 you should isolate, not travel, and consult with a healthcare provider for testing recommendations.

Other links:

https://www.smartertravel.com/documentation-of-covid-recovery/

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/requirements-for-air-travelers-to-the-us.html

Edited by Red Haired Lady

On 2/5/2022 at 1:07 PM, ChinaShrek said:

Order your 4 free home covid tests (http://covidtests.gov).  Also, I believe your insurance must cover up to 8 free at home covid tests a month. Medicare was originally exempt, but they will be covering it at some point, just not sure when. These tests are not useable for the actual cruise testing as they are not proctored, but you can use them a few days before you have to take your actual test to see if you still pop positive. 

Edited by RedIguana
Tests backup
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Order your 4 free home covid tests (http://covidtests.gov).  Also, I believe your insurance must cover up to 8 free at home covid tests a month. Medicare was originally exempt, but they will be covering it at some point, just not sure when. These tests are not useable for the actual cruise testing as they are not proctored, but you can use them a few days before you have to take your actual test to see if you still pop positive. 

I just ordered some. Thanks!

Are you on the Feb 20 Rotterdam sailing?  My wife and I are as well.  She tested positive about three weeks ago and had a clean antigen test about a week after her positive result.  Of course, everyone’s different.

For our part, we’re taking home tests weekly leading up to the cruise and using the proctored antigen test along with a scheduled appointment at CVS on Feb 19 for backup.  We’re also laying low, not going out to eat, etc.  We figure the less opportunity for surprise, the better.  

Good luck; hope you make it on board!

• Like 1

I guess I feel it's worth "repeating" that you see reply #2 and do exactly that--get a letter from your doctor stating what HAL requires you to do.  The other links and info are interesting and informative; however, it's what HAL requires that's important.  Regardless of whether you test yourself in the interim, have to decide what to do re trying to go forward, you need to have this letter, which would need to be obtained some time before you take the test to cruise:

From the FAQs on HAL's site - Exceptions may apply for fully vaccinated asymptomatic guests that have tested positive for COVID-19 in the 90 days prior to embarkation, and are fully recovered. Guests will need to provide a letter of recovery from their doctor and, laboratory test results that are not older than 90 days.

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

I guess I feel it's worth "repeating" that you see reply #2 and do exactly that--get a letter from your doctor stating what HAL requires you to do.  The other links and info are interesting and informative; however, it's what HAL requires that's important.  Regardless of whether you test yourself in the interim, have to decide what to do re trying to go forward, you need to have this letter, which would need to be obtained some time before you take the test to cruise:

I guess I am wondering why I need this letter if I can obtain a negative test before cruising. Does anyone (HAL, CDC, Aruba?)  need to know that I tested positive previously? Furthermore, my doctor is booked up for the next three weeks, so that doesn't help me get a letter before the cruise on 2/20.

2 hours ago, arijsky said:

Are you on the Feb 20 Rotterdam sailing?  My wife and I are as well.  She tested positive about three weeks ago and had a clean antigen test about a week after her positive result.  Of course, everyone’s different.

For our part, we’re taking home tests weekly leading up to the cruise and using the proctored antigen test along with a scheduled appointment at CVS on Feb 19 for backup.  We’re also laying low, not going out to eat, etc.  We figure the less opportunity for surprise, the better.  

Good luck; hope you make it on board!

Yes, I am on that sailing. I will be so sad if i can't go. I will be going to Walgreens on Feb.18th.

35 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I guess I am wondering why I need this letter if I can obtain a negative test before cruising. Does anyone (HAL, CDC, Aruba?)  need to know that I tested positive previously? Furthermore, my doctor is booked up for the next three weeks, so that doesn't help me get a letter before the cruise on 2/20.

With a negative test within the 2-day timeframe (before boarding), you don't need a note from your doctor.  Just present the negative test result and enjoy your cruise.

Sue/WDW1972

7 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

With a negative test within the 2-day timeframe (before boarding), you don't need a note from your doctor.  Just present the negative test result and enjoy your cruise.

Sue/WDW1972

That's what I'm hoping for!

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I believe if you test POSITIVE two days before, you could show you had a test several weeks before and were positive at that time, and that you've recovered per your doctor and the letter he/she has given you says you've recovered, and if you are assymptomatic at the time you take the test two days before but test Positive at that time, and when you go to board, you can still get on the ship because your test result two days in advance is picking up your previous positive because it's conceivable to test positive up to 90 days after you've had covid.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:07 PM, ChinaShrek said:

Call the cruise line for the protocol.  If you test positive you can continue to test positive for 90 days. Ask the cruise line if you can get a 90 day test exemption request provided by your doctor.

I suggest you don't go by what you are told, but what is in writing--as we've quoted above.  The cruise line has put the policy in writing. The problem with calling someone at HAL is that people we are able to call seem to give all different answers or really don't even know about the policy(ies)--we've all experienced that.  That being said, I'd want to know for sure I'd be able to get the exception before flying to board the ship if I'd tested positive two days before boarding (and had my doctor's letter saying I'd recovered after the 2/1 positive, and a copy of the HAL policy in writing, and my test results from my 2/1 test and my 2/18 test results, and be asymptomatic at boarding.) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I guess I am wondering why I need this letter if I can obtain a negative test before cruising…my doctor is booked up for the next three weeks, so that doesn't help me get a letter before the cruise on 2/20.

Some get the doctor’s letter because, as others have said, a PCR test can show virus (even if recovered) for approximately 12 weeks in some people (and there are those rare cases where some are actually infectious up to 68 days after diagnosis. See this, that’s why it’s a good idea to take a rapid antigen test earlier than 2 days before the cruise “just in case”.) Some travelers are concerned a protocol could change while traveling and even though a PCR is not currently required for cruising, some are concerned about “what if” something were to change somewhere in their travels, so they get a doctor’s letter of recovery for peace of mind.

All the Best!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I just sent a message to my doctor and the letter was emailed to me that day (as an attachment). The nurse said they do a lot of these letters.  According to the CDC, this letter combined with the positive test will be the "Documentation of Recovery."  See post #6 above. I am leaving on Mar 11th. I fear if at any point I am given a PCR test with a positive result it will cause me big problems!  By having the "Documentation of Recovery" I have peace of mind. 

• Like 5