Ncl transfer to Newark

Pappion

Hi all. I’ve searched and googled and found nothing so I’m asking here. Has anyone used the ncl transfer from New York to Newark? Around what time did you leave the pier/arrive at the airport.  Trying to figure out if sky club access is going to be needed for us for a 1pm flight out.   Traveling with 3 family members and we are using ncl air fare/transfers.   

normally I’d book my own flights and transportation but since it’s a repositioning cruise flying detroit to San Juan and New York to Detroit, the bogo saved us over $1200.

Good question. I don’t recall seeing NCL transfers to Newark, only to JFK, sometimes to LGA.

Newark (EWR) is in different state - New Jersey - and the yellow NewYork cabs cannot take you there. They are not allowed to.

If NCL doesn’t offer transfers to EWR, you can google for taxis/transportation from Manhattan cruise terminal to EWR.

EWR is nearest airport but less easy to get there … you cannot just hail a cab, you need to organize. We don’t use Lyft or Uber …. perhaps others can help?

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Good question. I don’t recall seeing NCL transfers to Newark, only to JFK, sometimes to LGA.

Newark (EWR) is in different state - New Jersey - and the yellow NewYork cabs cannot take you there. They are not allowed to.

If NCL doesn’t offer transfers to EWR, you can google for taxis/transportation from Manhattan cruise terminal to EWR.

EWR is nearest airport but less easy to get there … you cannot just hail a cab, you need to organize. We don’t use Lyft or Uber …. perhaps others can help?

FYI, EWR is the one place in New Jersey where NYC taxis are actually required to take you. There is a surcharge of $17.50 over the standard metered fare, plus tolls and tip.

NYC taxis are permitted to take you from the city to anywhere in NJ, or anywhere else for that matter, but the fare is not regulated and a matter of negotiation between the driver and passenger.

What the NYC  taxis can't do is pick up a return passenger in NJ or any other state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EWR is the closest airport to the manhattan cruise ship terminal and is incredibly easy to get to by all the standard ways... NCL transfer, taxi, car service, ride share service, bus and train (from penn station, which is about 15 or 16 blocks from the terminal). 

>>the yellow NewYork cabs cannot take you there. They are not allowed to.<<

this is not true!

new york taxis can absolutely take you out of state and can indeed take you to newark airport. in fact, they are required to, if that is your stated destination (with one exception). what they can not do is solicit a customer for a return trip back, which is why many taxi drivers are hesitant or even unwilling to take you to newark and may make it seem as if they do not have to. there is a surcharge to defray the lost revenue from not being able to have a returning passenger (last time i went by taxi to EWR it was $17.50; this may have increased). if a yellow taxi driver refuses to take you to EWR, you can and should report them to the taxi and limousine commission.

the exception? if the trip to newark airport would result in the driver’s having to operate the taxicab for more than 12 consecutive hours, which is prohibited, then that driver may refuse to take a passenger to EWR.

there  is a flat fee to JFK, but you're charged the meter rate to EWR, plus tolls and the surcharge (and tip). it comes out to about the same fare. the base fare, depending on traffic, is about $50. it's therefore much cheaper to take a taxi or car service than the NCL transfer for more than one person. for a family of three, however, unless you've mastered the art of traveling light, there may not be enough room in a standard taxi for your luggage. better to book a car service or ride share service and specify a van or larger vehicle.

Thank you @njhorseman and @UKstages for clarifying that the NYC cabbies can take us from Manhattan to EWR - I didn’t realize that it’s now possible. 

The last time we tried getting cab to EWR was back a decade ago .. I guess times have changed (and improved). 

2.5 years ago we flew into EWR from Europe, stayed overnight in hotel near EWR and the next day we took a pre-arranged limo to JFK for our flight home. 

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Thank you @njhorseman and @UKstages for clarifying that the NYC cabbies can take us from Manhattan to EWR - I didn’t realize that it’s now possible. 

The last time we tried getting cab to EWR was back a decade ago .. I guess times have changed (and improved). 

2.5 years ago we flew into EWR from Europe, stayed overnight in hotel near EWR and the next day we took a pre-arranged limo to JFK for our flight home. 

Don't discount the possibility of a cabbie saying they can't/won't take you to EWR, or trying to con you into paying an inflated fare. 😉

That's one reason why we prefer to take a car or limo service we trust...or even Uber. That way we know we have a ride and we know up front what it will cost.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

EWR is nearest airport

6 hours ago, UKstages said:

EWR is the closest airport to the manhattan cruise ship terminal

Actually there is at least one route to LGA that is several miles shorter than the drive to EWR. Take the West Side Highway north to 96th St. then the 97th St. transverse road through Central Park, 96th St. to the FDR Drive, RFK Bridge, Grand Central Parkway to LGA.

Note that shorter mileage doesn't necessarily translate to a shorter drive time.

• Like 1

geez,  i dunno.

EWR is not the closest airport to "manhattan," because you can enter "manhattan" from several points, most of them very far from the cruise ship terminal, on the east side and northern and southern tips of manhattan.

but i'm pretty sure EWR is the closest (and in almost all cases, the quickest) airport to the manhattan cruise ship terminal. i'd have to see the mileage calculations for your directions above and compare that with the distance from the terminal to EWR.

but the distance to LGA is generally given as 11 miles or so "from manhattan" and the distance to EWR is generally given as 18 miles.  but the cruise ship terminal is only a mile and a half or so from the exit of the lincoln tunnel, where you enter manhattan coming from new jersey. so, let's call the whole trip 20 miles.

the rest of your route (up the west side highway, through central park, FDR drive, GCP, etc. would have to be less than nine miles in order for the route to be shorter in distance. seems longer to me, but i haven't checked.

and, as you point out, what's most important is the travel time, and under almost every circumstance, it's going to take as little as half the time to get to and from newark and the west side of manhattan and, specifically, the cruise ship terminal, than it is to get to and from LGA or JFK. 

Edited by UKstages

19 minutes ago, UKstages said:

geez,  i dunno.

Google Maps knows. I specifically mapped  trips by motor vehicle from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to LGA and to EWR, and the route I gave to LGA is clearly the shortest to either airport from the cruise terminal.

There's no trickery or sleight of hand, nothing mysterious or complicated about it.