Mardi Gras questions

TNcruising02

I got a great deal on a Mardi Gras cruise for Feb 26th.  This will be my first cruise since March 2020, so things have changed.  

I will reach platinum on this cruise.  Are there any benefits as far as boarding the ship early or a special line to enter the ship?  Will I be able to take my carry on bags directly to my cabin? How is the platinum free laundry service and turn-around time?

My husband likes the soda package.  I know there is some type of soda machine in the buffet area.  Are there other machines on different decks?

Will there be four different comedians per cruise?  Are there usually four shows per night? Do you have to exit the area and stand in line again if you want to see two shows in a row?

Are reservations required for any shows?
Do you need to take your vaccination card with you when visiting the ports?

Any experience with verifly?
Do people wear the masks while outside on the open areas?  I assume masks are required at all times inside except while eating.  If I am watching a comedy show and have a drink, do I need to put my mask back on between sips? I have no idea how strict the mask requirements will be.

Thanks!  I've been on quite a few cruises, but none since the pandemic.

Edited by TNcruising02

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I got a great deal on a Mardi Gras cruise for Feb 26th.  This will be my first cruise since March 2020, so things have changed.  

I will reach platinum on this cruise.  Are there any benefits as far as boarding the ship early or a special line to enter the ship?  Will I be able to take my carry on bags directly to my cabin? How is the platinum free laundry service and turn-around time?

My husband likes the soda package.  I know there is some type of soda machine in the buffet area.  Are there other machines on different decks?

Will there be four different comedians per cruise?  Are there usually four shows per night? Do you have to exit the area and stand in line again if you want to see two shows in a row?

Are reservations required for any shows?
Do you need to take your vaccination card with you when visiting the ports?

Any experience with verifly?
Do people wear the masks while outside on the open areas?  I assume masks are required at all times inside except while eating.  If I am watching a comedy show and have a drink, do I need to put my mask back on between sips? I have no idea how strict the mask requirements will be.

Thanks!  I've been on quite a few cruises, but none since the pandemic.

I'll try to answer.  Was on the MG back in August and Sept.

As to Soda Machines, I don't remember any anywhere.  You have Juice, Lemonade and Tea in the buffet and pool areas.

Likely there will be 4 comedians.  They will likely change out at one of the ports.  It can change, but they were typically having 5 or so shows most nights.  You do have to exit and get back in line.

No reservations for any show.

As to masks, it can vary.  I think they may be more stringent at the moment but when we sailed, except for walking in the dining room, the buffet and the Piano Bar, it was somewhat lax.  Walking around, it was 50/50 at best.  Only place where it was sort of mandatory other than what I mentioned was the elevators.  People would ask you to mask up, if you weren't masked on the elevators.

As to in the Comedy Club and the Bars, if you have a drink in front of you, it would be unusual if you put your mask on.  Bars like Brass Magnolia and Alchemy are pretty much maskless.

I do urge you to try the Brass Magnolia.  I'm typically an Alchemy person but the Brass Magnolia was not as busy. Most of crew changed out in Dec/Jan but in the fall almost all the bartenders on the cruise were Alchemy trained.  You couldn't hardly get a bad drink.

Also urge you to try Emeril's.  Gumbo and Muffallata were New Orleans worthy. 

Could have changed relative to masks.  Could change day by day on your cruise as if they have a few cases, they will likely tighten up on masks.

Don 

• Like 2

Yes check out Emeril's!!  Pain Perdue (excellent french toast) and Banana Foster Crepes!  Muffuletta sandwich is great! Worth the small upcharge.

Now, go to Big Chicken!  The sandwiches are soooo good!  Breakfast sandwiches are great too! Included.

I'm going to Las Vegas in April and one of the biggest reasons is that Big Chicken is there.  That tasty!

In the buffet on  Lido, get the gelato.  The flavors change out and it's included.

Go to Street Eatz for daily tasty bites. Included.

Drinks at Fortune Teller and Brass Magnolia were great, especially Brass Magnolia with the great live music there.  Alchemy is my favorite always.

Watch a show or two in the Grand Central area (is that correct name?) for terrific entertainment though you may have some noisy tables nearby.

Have fun!!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 4

I was on in both August and January. For your first question, even though you turn Plat on the cruise (we did in Jan) only Suites have priority boarding as of today. That can change. You will get to check in two days earlier online to choose your boarding time.

I'm of no help with Soda. We are Coke drinkers and carry our own on. There are several dispensers though on multiple decks.

We were able to stash our carry on's in the closet when we boarded. Laundry is the best perk and it was about a day, day and a half turn around time.

The only other one I can help you with is masks. In August, Delta was just beginning and everybody felt that they didn't need them. January was a whole different ballgame and most everyone wore one where they are required (basically everywhere inside and where you can't social distance). 

Download the app and use it. It is your best source of information and it works well. Other than specialty (Teppanyaki, Rudi's, Steakhouse, Chef's Table) you can use it for your reservations. The aforementioned are for pay and tend to sell out and I'd make your reservations before you board for those unless you don't mind odd (very early or very late) dining times and that goes 10 fold for Rudi's.

Pack your walking legs. She's a huge ship for Carnival and its a massive amount of walking. I don't mind it but my knees are not generally happy with me at the end of a week. Have patience with the elevators. The best ships maps are a combination of the ones located at the elevators and the ones on your phone on the app.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, vamartha said:

I was on in both August and January. For your first question, even though you turn Plat on the cruise (we did in Jan) only Suites have priority boarding as of today. That can change. You will get to check in two days earlier online to choose your boarding time.

I'm of no help with Soda. We are Coke drinkers and carry our own on. There are several dispensers though on multiple decks.

We were able to stash our carry on's in the closet when we boarded. Laundry is the best perk and it was about a day, day and a half turn around time.

The only other one I can help you with is masks. In August, Delta was just beginning and everybody felt that they didn't need them. January was a whole different ballgame and most everyone wore one where they are required (basically everywhere inside and where you can't social distance). 

Download the app and use it. It is your best source of information and it works well. Other than specialty (Teppanyaki, Rudi's, Steakhouse, Chef's Table) you can use it for your reservations. The aforementioned are for pay and tend to sell out and I'd make your reservations before you board for those unless you don't mind odd (very early or very late) dining times and that goes 10 fold for Rudi's.

Pack your walking legs. She's a huge ship for Carnival and its a massive amount of walking. I don't mind it but my knees are not generally happy with me at the end of a week. Have patience with the elevators. The best ships maps are a combination of the ones located at the elevators and the ones on your phone on the app.

I forgot your laundry question.  Generally, we got it back next day.  

With your status, I have not heard of anyone who cannot pretty much get the check in slot they want if they go in early on the 2 day early entry.  If Check in is 11 or later, you can get right on the ship even without the platinum pre-embark.  

App on this ship is required.  If you are doing anytime dining or want to go to Chibang or Italian, you check in with the app.  Generally would get a walk in "slot" in 10 - 15 minutes.  Guy's Barbeque was pretty much walk up.  Really like the Italian and the Guys Barbeque on this ship.  Generally no printed Schedule so you pull off what is happening and menus from the App.  

Yes, a lot of walking.  You didn't ask but I should mention that the ship is NOT very handicapped friendly.  Room walkway are about 1 foot narrower than normal ships.  Getting by a laundry cart on a scooter is difficult.  Also elevator are tiny.  Frankly, elevators are the worst thing on the ship.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for answering my questions and also for the wonderful advice and suggestions!  This makes me even more excited for my cruise.  I can't wait to explore a new ship.  It looks like there are a lot of food options.  I've looked at pictures of the ship, but I am sure seeing it in person will be amazing.  Thanks!

We're Platinum and had a 10:00 arrival time but our friends had 11:30.  We live about 2 miles from Terminal 3 so our Uber driver picked us up at 11:00 and we were on the ship at 11:35.  We went straight to our muster, then to the room and were happily surprised it was ready.  

I also think Pig & Anchor had soda taps.  We had Cheers and I got Pepsi Zero several times from a bar but I have a vague memory of my husband getting us some in P&A.

In December they were more strict about mask wearing in the comedy club than anywhere else and they did expect you to pull your mask back up after you took a drink.  At that time, it was not the case sitting at bars or tables. Masks were required in elevators, stores, buffet, walking into a restaurant until seated.  It got a little stricter right after our cruise.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 5:49 PM, Tnlynch81 said:

Soda machines were at several locations in the buffet on lido and I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure I remember them being at Guys BBQ as well.

Yes, I believe there were two soda machines (scan card and then pour) on Lido, one on each side, and there is one on the port side of Guy's Smokehouse and Brewhouse.    I really loved the convenience (even if it was Diet Pepsi 😞 ) and not having to bother a bartender to get a soda.  

When you tap your card, do it once and pull it back quickly.  If the machine interprets it as two taps, it will "write off" the first tap and then tell you that you have to wait 15 minutes before getting another soda.  

• Like 1

Send laundry out at night. It’s back the next morning. 

I remember soda fountains in the buffet, by Guy’s burgers, in the smokehouse, I think by the pizza place, and I think by the coffee shop.

I had six comedians on Mardi Gras. Adult shows in the punchliner and family friendly in the limelight. Then a few late night showcases in the main lounge. There was so much adult comedy I never went to a PG show.

They clear the room after each show on every ship.

No reservations 

I don’t remember the number of shows but I have lots of Mardi Gras Fun Times here.

https://saintgregtravel.com/fun-times/

No

No

probably now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Send laundry out at night. It’s back the next morning. 

I remember soda fountains in the buffet, by Guy’s burgers, in the smokehouse, I think by the pizza place, and I think by the coffee shop.

I had six comedians on Mardi Gras. Adult shows in the punchliner and family friendly in the limelight. Then a few late night showcases in the main lounge. There was so much adult comedy I never went to a PG show.

They clear the room after each show on every ship.

No reservations 

I don’t remember the number of shows but I have lots of Mardi Gras Fun Times here.

https://saintgregtravel.com/fun-times/

No

No

probably now

Thanks for the link.  That's very helpful!

• Like 1