Portugal Covid Entry Requirements

jrmuk

On the link, I don't see the US vaccine card listed.  ???:

Mandatory-

A valid vaccination, test or recovery EU Digital COVID Certificate,

- Or a valid vaccination or recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions:Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Switzerland, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, The Vatican

Edited by sfvoyage

I would also try to check with Seabourn whether they will require you to have a test prior to arrival, even though Portugal doesn't. Why do I raise that possibility? We're due to board a cruise this month in St. Maarten, and even though vaccinated and boosted individuals no longer need any test to enter St. Maarten, Seabourn is nonetheless still requiring us to have a PCR test within 3 days of embarkation -- even though they are also doing antigen tests at the pier. It doesn't make sense, and I keep hoping Seabourn will catch up with the country's revised entry policies — but so far they haven't.

Just received a message from Seabourn via my TA that seems to indicate that Seabourn wants a test taken even if Portugal doesn’t. ‘Boarding’ seems to be the key word here.

“Guests must provide a negative COVID-19 test for entry and boarding in Portugal. Guests will also be administered a complimentary rapid antigen test at the cruise terminal before boarding the ship.”

I have had a similar lengthy PDF. which I read the same way. I would add that , at the end it is dated 20th Jan so given the time lapse it is possibly already out of date.

This is a fast moving situation but not helpful for those on the first cruise.

Of course Seabourn can ask what they like before boarding irrespective of country regulations.

7 hours ago, claranda said:

Just received a message from Seabourn via my TA that seems to indicate that Seabourn wants a test taken even if Portugal doesn’t. ‘Boarding’ seems to be the key word here.

“Guests must provide a negative COVID-19 test for entry and boarding in Portugal. Guests will also be administered a complimentary rapid antigen test at the cruise terminal before boarding the ship.”

seems perfectly sensible. We all want a low risk holiday.

I've just spoken with the  UK Seabourn agent and they said that Seabourn DO require a 48 hour PCR test before embarking, irrespective of Portugal entry requirements. It's slightly confusing. Really looking forward to this trip.

Edited by firsttimers68

@firsttimers68that is concerning, there is nothing in Seabourn's most recent communications to booked guests or website to indicate that at all. Here is the link to the current requirements posted on Seabourn's website for the Canary Islands itineraries:

https://media.hollandamerica.com/Seabourn/Protocols/Canary_Islands/Canary_Islands.pdf

I would call again if it's important to you.

I saw this language on Seabourn's page for the Canary Islands about why they are requiring a test prior to your arrival: "We require guests to be tested at home prior to departure in order to avoid travel disruptions associated with a positive result."

Lest you think they're kindly looking out for their guests, I read this to mean: "we don't want to be on the hook to fly people back home at our expense if they show up for a cruise and test positive at the pier." 😉

I contacted Seabourn UK today and after a long time on hold I was told there is no specific Seabourn requirement for a test before leaving home. The requirement for a pre departure test was driven by the countries requirements for entry. Now this has gone for Portugal Seabourn will no doubt update their website so keep an eye on it.

The current Seabourn website entry currently makes no sense as if you turn up without the test results they will test you and charge you $100. They were going to test you on the jetty anyway before boarding. So is the $100 a fine? Are they legally allowed to fine people on Portugal's land before boarding? So mention is made of presenting a test result at boarding in my final documents so who will check it? Not the airline as they don't know where you are going in Portugal. 

I have also contacted my TA but their reply was far from satisfactory too.

There is also some confusion in my mind about what they mean by 2 days before boarding. Do they mean 48 hours or 2 calendar days? This makes a difference if you are leaving home to travel the day before flying out to Lisbon.

Fortunately we are on the 1st March cruise so have a little time to sort out before booking a test unlike some others who depart in under 10 days time - good luck!!

1 hour ago, claranda said:

I think all of us boarding on 19 Feb will be in need of a calming beverage once we (hopefully) stagger on board! 

right you are 🙂

I'm personally very fond of Passion Pearls (champagne with cognac and passion fruit) in the Observation Lounge 🍹

Hi,

Indeed, Seabourns "health and safety guidelines 2022 canary islands" . pdf ( that's online for the moment = today 10 february  ) doesn't mention any necessary testing prior to travel to be done.

However, the FAQ has been updated apparently very recently ...

( when I last checked the day before yesterday, it was still the old FAQ )

Some quotes from the new FAQ :

-What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Guests must be tested with a medically observed SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT)

-Is a self-test acceptable?
No. Self-tests, including medically observed self-tests, are not accepted.

-Will I be tested again before embarking on my cruise?
Yes, in addition to the test prior to departure from home, Seabourn will provide a complementary antigen test to everyone at embarkation as a second layer of protection for all sailings.

If Seabourn requires a Covid-19 test before embarking on my cruise, why do I have to be tested again prior to boarding?
As a second layer of protection and to assure a safe voyage for our guests and crew members, Seabourn will provide a complimentary antigen test to everyone at embarkation.

If I arrive at the pier without a Covid-19 test done prior to 2 days before my sailing, will the complimentary Covid-19 antigen test suffice for boarding my cruise?
No, we require guests to be tested at home prior to departure in order to avoid travel disruptions associated with a positive result and will test them again in the terminal prior to boarding. Fully vaccinated guests who have not gotten a pre-cruise test will have a test administered for a cost of $100 per person."

kind regards,

ralf

I’m very confused.

My problem is not so much the cost of the tests, although I’d not like to waste money on tests if they are not required, my issue is that we set off two days before the cruise to spend two nights in Lisbon.

I therefore can’t get a test at home and would have to arrange something in Lisbon which would be more difficult.

If it’s a case of take a chance and pay $100/each if I get it wrong, then so be it, but what worries me is being denied boarding because of missing test results.

fyi as a UK citizens we have free lateral flow test kits that we administer regularly and we’ll be self testing along the way so we expect any quayside test to match our own tests.

11 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

right you are 🙂

I'm personally very fond of Passion Pearls (champagne with cognac and passion fruit) in the Observation Lounge 🍹

OMG, that combination might floor me!🙃 But a glass of fizz in the Observation lounge sounds very civilised…👍

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jrmuk said:

I therefore can’t get a test at home and would have to arrange something in Lisbon which would be more difficult.

If you are staying in a hotel, they would probably sort something out for you.

But really, Seabourn’s use of English is dire. You could quote their requirement for a test ‘prior to 2 days before my sailing’ as meaning that the test has to be taken THREE days before you board. The word ‘prior’ used here reduces the sentence to gobbledegook….

Lest you think they're kindly looking out for their guests, I read this to mean: "we don't want to be on the hook to fly people back home at our expense if they show up for a cruise and test positive at the pier." 😉

I think these words get to the point. Also if your first test positive is at the cruise terminal you will be under an obligation to advise the authorities and seek guidance for self isolation until fit to travel. I cannot imagine that Seabourn or the Port authorities will turn a blind eye while  (UK Residents ) make a run for the airport.

Luckily we are travelling on the 22nd March so I expect this has some way to run.  Deliberately kept to the 11 day cruise so we are only dealing with one Country.

What's the betting that they don't check. It is all very confusing it would be far simpler if Seabourn just made a statement on their web site that it is a Seabourn Requirement Not a Portugal requirement that way we would know for certain.

Also very disappointed that they have not sent out all the pre boarding stuff they normally give us, ie luggage labels etc. Excuse is that because of CoVid they cannot send it out, more of a cost cutting exercise if you ask me. Funny that other cruise lines are sending out pre-departure materials.

Had a small rant to my TA who responded with a standard letter, in part saying:

We have since had further information from Seabourn regarding the entry requirements into Portugal and they have advised, guests will need to have a PCR test within 72 hours of going or a medically observed antigen test within 48 hours.
We are aware that, Portugal have changed their entry protocols, however Seabourn are still advising guests to have the testing I have stated above.

My first thought was that these are the requirements to get into Portugal for those from countries without a reciprocal arrangement (eg the USA and Canada) and that Seabourn can’t be bothered/doesn’t think it equitable to accept that Europeans and Brits don’t need a test to enter and doesn’t care that we’re paying for something that’s redundant. On looking again, however, I note that Portugal’s actual requirement for the antigen test is within 24 hours. So Seaboun continues to get it wrong…