Any chance of seeing whales the very end of March, or is that too late?

Jeafl

I do see that Carnival offers a whale watching excursion, but I have read that the whales are pretty much gone by then.  It's not a cheap excursion, so I do not want to waste my money if the whales are pretty much gone by then.

43 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

I do see that Carnival offers a whale watching excursion, but I have read that the whales are pretty much gone by then.  It's not a cheap excursion, so I do not want to waste my money if the whales are pretty much gone by then.

How late in March? When we went in March 2 years ago, it was around the 21st and we saw plenty of whales. 

We always sail late March (kids Spring Break) and we always see whales from our balcony...I haven't done as an excursion, but I do think those lagging whales that just wanted to hang out in the warm water a bit longer will be still heading home late March.

6 hours ago, Jeafl said:

The later the date in March, the fewer the whales. There may be some into April, but the numbers further shrink.

The excursion we are looking at would be on March 30

On 2/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, jas283a said:

How late in March? When we went in March 2 years ago, it was around the 21st and we saw plenty of whales. 

The excursion date would be March 30.

I think what Bruce said earlier is probably accurate, the later you go the less you see.  I might reach out to a independent tour operator in Cabo and get an idea from them.  They could give you an idea, and let's face it, one of these companies is one that Carnival uses.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The official whalewatch season in Puerto Vallarta ends on March 23. Yes there still  might be a few whales around after that but less then earlier in March. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you book through a third party, many will offer a money back guarantee if you don't see whales! So that is something that might be worth looking into. We've seen them every time we've been in Cabo, usually in the winter but a couple of times in the shoulder season.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:38 AM, Jeafl said:

Whales are never gone from being off the coast of California. Gray whales do the famous migration from November to April that there are excursions for, but if the gray whales are mostly gone then the blue whales and humpbacks are likely around. You may even spot orcas, which technically are technically dolphins. We had a pod of them hanging around Newport Beach this last December.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...