Havana Cabana -no ocean view?

Shell557

I’ve been dreaming of a Havana Cabana for several years now. Had one booked for 3/2020, but that was a victim of Covid. Anyways, starting to think about rebooking but it suddenly occurred to me that the cabanas look to have a really spacious outdoor area, but…no ocean view like you have in a regular balcony. If anyone has stayed in one of these, did you miss your ocean view? 

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

Can you tell me, does that railing  on Havana patio  have a gate that opens, or locks? Wondering if can access deck area from there, or walk out and what do you see below? Thanks. 

Yes, the gate opens and latches shut. The cabin number is on the post in the picture. Guests exit their gate onto the lanai to walk down to the exclusive Havana pool/hot tubs area.

• Thanks 1

It's only accessible to passengers staying in Havana cabins and most of them will be either on their own patio/balcony or poolside. Yes stray passengers might walk by initially but there isn't any reason to go back once you figure out it's a dead end.

• Like 1

We had absolutely no privacy issues 2 weeks ago.  We spent  a lot of time sitting on our porch area looking out over the ocean and relaxing.  Even my 15yo spent quite a bit of time out there when he wasn't at club O2.  Late in the evening (dinner time) or late morning there would be people passing by headed from their Havana cabin to the back deck (or back to their cabin) but it wasn't like  steady stream of people all day

Those cabins are what we call Pet Shop On Display. You are a window decoration for everyone walking by. This is the reason that Conquest Class ships remain our favorite. You can have the curtains open and come out of the shower to get dressed and not be part of the shipboard entertainment. I've never understood the wedding cake design of the newer ships.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only people that are walking by are the others staying in Cabana's.  I think most people have the impression that anyone can walk right past your cabin.  When we stayed in a Cabana, I saw our neighbors one time.  No one else waked by our Cabana.  Very peaceful.

I think it also depends on which ship (sorry, if you mentioned it, I missed it).  I know people love the Havana area on the Vista class ships, but were not impressed with it on the Mardi Gras (this was before it began sailing just based on pictures) because it has a much smaller pool area, etc. 

We have not experienced it yet, but we paid way too much for a Mardi Gras Havana Cabana for the upcoming spring break timeframe (an impulse buy when someone else cancelled).  I'd been watching for one of them to open up (it's hard to get one for 3 ppl) for nearly a year.  I did tons of research and from what I found, yes, the pool area is not as big or elaborate, but if you are looking for a quiet reprieve from the spring break crowds, where everyone will be at least the age of 12, then the Havana area looks like a pretty good option.  I should also mention that we are not really swimmers either, so the smaller pool doesn't bother us at all (in fact I'm hoping it will be a benefit in attracting less people).😄

When Patti and I were planning our Havana experience for our Panorama cruise last October, we seriously considered booking a Havana Cabana. When on the Horizon last August, we had an aft balcony on Deck 7, and we could look directly down and into the Havana cabanas. Also, it doesn't appear that you have the greatest view of the ocean. That convinced us to book a Havana inside cabin. If we wanted to sit outside, we could just walk the 50 feet to the Havana Pool area and hang out, and use the substantial savings for other things. Just our opinion, YMMV. 

IMG_2416-X2.jpg

IMG_2420-X2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
6 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Those cabins are what we call Pet Shop On Display. 😁You are a window decoration for everyone walking by. This is the reason that Conquest Class ships remain our favorite. You can have the curtains open and come out of the shower to get dressed and not be part of the shipboard entertainment. I've never understood the wedding cake design of the newer ships.

My thoughts to the point. 👍

Another selling point I haven't seen mentioned is that you really never need to leave the area if you don't want. We've stayed in one of the 5200 inside cabins on the Vista last time and they served regular meals in the ocean lounge as well as the BBQ place for lunch on seadays. 

You're within a couple of hundred feet of multiple dining options, bars, coffee places and your own area's pool and hot tubs. There is also nightly live music in the ocean lounge and Havana bar. Then you're one flight of stairs above the main dining room.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

I presume all of the negative comments come from past passengers of the Havana Cabanas.  In any event, their concerns or experiences are valid and of course they occurred to us.

But a cruise is all about new adventures and we booked the Havana Cabanas to give them a try!  Once we've done it we may never do it again, but YOLO and it had to be experienced rather than be disuaded by others and live with the wonder.