Cruising from Venice - port query

LisaE

We are first time cruisers on Regent and looking forward to sailing on the Explorer from Venice in July.   Although aware of the ban on large cruise ships in Venice since last autumn we have  not been notified that our cruise will depart from anywhere else, especially not Trieste or Ravenna which are around 2 hours away.  Have read that Marghera near Venice is sometimes used?  Usually a different port is shown in brackets on the itinerary, but that is not the case on RSSC website.   Has anyone received notification of a different departure port?  We are based in the UK so may be info later than in the US.  Will be contacting our TA but in the meantime thought I would ask for any info you can share.

We are booked on 20th April Explorer cruise. We have been told this cruise will now depart from Trieste.

Regent say they will arrange free  transport from Venice for all guests who booked their flight or pre cruise hotels through them. Others need to arrange  their own transport or purchase transfers from Regent.

We used our Avios points to book our flights and have asked our TA to book a transfer from Regent.

I currently wait for info on the price.

14 minutes ago, LisaE said:

Thank you for your comments.  That is interesting 'Bounce' regarding your research into the Marghera port schedule and potentially good news.  We are on the same cruise as you!

LisaE. Are you on Athens to Venice or Venice to Rome?  This is our first Regent cruise. High hopes after three cancelled cruises. 

Hello everyone! We are on the Explorer from Venice to Athens on June 19th. Although it says Venice, that’s apparently not going to be the case. Is it possible to find out whether it’ll be Trieste or Marghera? It makes a big difference to us as we will be in Tuscany the week before and Trieste will be a much longer train ride.  Thanks very much.

Thanks all. 

It currently looks like the 3rd July Venice to Rome departure will be from Marghera, which is good news.  It will be our first time on Regent having only sailed on Celebrity in the past and are so looking forward to it.

It looks like this might be Regent's long-term plan.  Our cruise on Splendor--not departing until October 2023--shows up on the schedule for Marghera.  (Obviously, will continue to check as departure draws closer!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 12:06 PM, Bounce said:

We overnight in Venice July 2-3. In checking the Marghera port schedule…..our ship, Explorer, is listed on their schedule. 

Earlier today I was looking at Venice tours for this cruise,  Now it says there are no tours at this time,  Hoping they are just updating and not having to change them because of porting further away? Is it just me or is it everyone who can not see them anymore?

I'm on June 5-19, 2022 Explorer from what was supposed to be Israel to Venice. Just received word they are dropping Croatia and Venice on our itinerary and now have us ending in Rome with no overnight on June 18 (as we will now be in Sorrento on that day) with prompt dismbarkment the morning of June 19. I guess the folks who were on the Explorer after us are now starting their voyage from Rome. Assuming another casualty from Venice blocking cruise ships over a certain size.

Edited by FLgemini

On 2/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, LisaE said:

We are first time cruisers on Regent and looking forward to sailing on the Explorer from Venice in July.   Although aware of the ban on large cruise ships in Venice since last autumn we have  not been notified that our cruise will depart from anywhere else, especially not Trieste or Ravenna which are around 2 hours away.  Have read that Marghera near Venice is sometimes used?  Usually a different port is shown in brackets on the itinerary, but that is not the case on RSSC website.   Has anyone received notification of a different departure port?  We are based in the UK so may be info later than in the US.  Will be contacting our TA but in the meantime thought I would ask for any info you can share.

I am on on the 26th and they completely changed ours to basically a Greek/Turkey cruise.  We are cancelling. Round trip from Athens.

12 hours ago, Thenagers said:

I am on on the 26th and they completely changed ours to basically a Greek/Turkey cruise.  We are cancelling. Round trip from Athens.

We are also on that cruise. The most important ports, Croatia and Venice, have been taken away. Would never have booked this itinerary. Will no doubt cancel. Sigh…..very disappointed. 

21 hours ago, FLgemini said:

I'm on June 5-19, 2022 Explorer from what was supposed to be Israel to Venice. Just received word they are dropping Croatia and Venice on our itinerary and now have us ending in Rome with no overnight on June 18 (as we will now be in Sorrento on that day) with prompt disembarkment the morning of June 19. I guess the folks who were on the Explorer after us are now starting their voyage from Rome. Assuming another casualty from Venice blocking cruise ships over a certain size.

I hope they don't make the same change to our Haifa to Venice cruise next year (10/15 to 10/29/23). That cruise has 3 Adriatic ports that would be new to us:  Tirana, Dubrovnik and Koper.  We have no need for a 4th or 5th trip to Sorrento, and we truly dislike disembarking at Civitavecchia and flying from Rome.  Hopefully the cruise terminal at what's now the Venice Industrial Port (Marghera)  will be open by then.