The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

1 hour ago, Magsthecapp said:

I have a couple Haven restaurant questions. 

1. My wife can't each red meat that isn't ground. It looks like the Chicken/fish options on the Haven dinner menu are pretty limited. Are there other options to accommodate her so she doesn't get bored?

2. The wife also have several other food allergies/limitations. What's the best way to deal with that? 

“Norwegian requires notice 30 days before sailing. Advance notice allows the cruise line to fulfill your request. However, the earlier you inform your reservations or travel agent, the better.

Contact Accessible Travel 

Norwegian Cruise Line has a special toll-free phone number for accessible travel. The number is 866-584-9756. In addition to notifying your reservation or travel agent of your special diet, it is also best to talk with an Access Coordinator. They can help ensure that your needs are met to the extent possible so that you have a wonderful cruising experience.  

Talk to the Restaurant Manager 

When you board the cruise ship, make sure that the restaurant manager or person in charge of onboard dining is aware of your dietary needs.”

from:https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/tips-for-cruising-with-a-special-diet

• Like 1

Additional haven service that would be appreciated by all passengers. Note when docked near Kennedy space center n there's a scheduled launch it should be on the daily so we don't lay in bed thinking it is just loud deck maintenance 😁😓 sigh hate knowing I missed it. Also they should put netting up on the suite deck. Bugs aren't too bad today  but tons of dead ones all around deck. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

Additional haven service that would be appreciated by all passengers. Note when docked near Kennedy space center n there's a scheduled launch it should be on the daily so we don't lay in bed thinking it is just loud deck maintenance 😁😓 sigh hate knowing I missed it.

But then they would have to start putting other local information on the dailies. My guess is the dailies have master copies and they are edited if and when they need to. 

My partner has been comparing last week and this week and most of the body of text is the exact same except for few changes relating to the ship. Not outside the ship 

Most people knew about the rocket launch. Sorry that you didn't the memo. Elon Musk's Space X taking a satellite somewhere

Thank you Sthrngary!! I just checked this post out today and downloaded/read your letter to the butler and absolutely loved it! My DH, son (8) & I are cruising in June on the Breakaway and I'm bidding for a Haven upgrade. Even if we don't get it, I think this letter is FABULOUS and want to tailor it as an advance thank you/introduction for our room steward. I think it's easy to forget all that the room attendants do for passengers (beyond cute towel animals) and they deserve to know they are seen and appreciated.

18 minutes ago, acct1975 said:

Thank you Sthrngary!! I just checked this post out today and downloaded/read your letter to the butler and absolutely loved it! My DH, son (8) & I are cruising in June on the Breakaway and I'm bidding for a Haven upgrade. Even if we don't get it, I think this letter is FABULOUS and want to tailor it as an advance thank you/introduction for our room steward. I think it's easy to forget all that the room attendants do for passengers (beyond cute towel animals) and they deserve to know they are seen and appreciated.

@acct1975It is my pleasure.  What is funny to me is some folks love the approach and other hate it.  Especially because I tip my Butler his full tip upfront.  Things have changed in the cruising industry.  Our old traditions are being challenged like timing of tips.  The reason for this is some folks chose to not provide their butler with a tip. They are not on the gratuities program on the ship.  Butlers told me that they would work like crazy for some suites, the guest would have all kinds of requests.  After they did them all, the guest would leave without tipping them.  When I heard this story over and over again, I realized it would be hard to be motivated knowing I might not make a full salary that week.  That is when the letter with the gratuity came from.  Since doing this action, my butlers have been good to great.  Where as before they were hit/miss.

This stream is so much fun for me.  My goal is to simply give some suggestions from someone who cruises especially in the Haven.  How else can anyone evaluate that staying in the Haven is a worthy consideration.  Thanks again for the kind words. 

Cruise well.

• Like 2

I just submitted my pre-sail request to NCL's concierge email.

I don't think our requests were crazy:  remove the for sale stuff, extra blankets, extra pillows, extra bath towels, a list of preferred snack items, a request to move our Cagney's reservation to a different night ... oh, and towel animals - - gotta have them.  I also said that whatever they can't or don't do, I will discuss with my butler.  So, I'll modify the email to hand to my butler when we board the Bliss on the 20th!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mearsfansinboise said:

I just submitted my pre-sail request to NCL's concierge email.

I don't think our requests were crazy:  remove the for sale stuff, extra blankets, extra pillows, extra bath towels, a list of preferred snack items, a request to move our Cagney's reservation to a different night ... oh, and towel animals - - gotta have them.  I also said that whatever they can't or don't do, I will discuss with my butler.  So, I'll modify the email to hand to my butler when we board the Bliss on the 20th!

Don't be surprised of many of what you asked for they say they can't do.  I would still add the request in to the butler letter.  Allow me to explain my reasoning.  The most important thing we can all do is have realistic expectations.  That is why I wrote this topic way back when.  NCL tends to be some what standardized.  Kind of like McDonalds.  Where luxury brands give their employees the right to make many decisions, NCL tends to stay very close to a very strict policy giving employees very little leverage.  Until you get on the ship, then crew have much more flexibility.  

So if they write back and say they can't do something, it is fine.  Your butler or your Haven Concierge on the ship will handle it. Again, cruising is all about setting realistic expectations.  I love the Bliss and you will have an awesome time.  

Cruise well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sthrngary

Took your advice and called the pre cruise concierge desk. We sail on the Escape on 3/26. What a great experience- we didn’t get Maria, I think her name was Teresa. She was soooo nice and enthusiastic! We requested our H3 liquors and mixers and to clean out the fridge, replace with tea & juice. She prompted me for more requests like nuts, candy, preferences, special occasions, etc. She was wonderful and I was even more excited after talking to her. She even changed a dining reservation for me.

So I plan to try your approach and tip the first day - will let you know how it goes.

Good luck with your upgrade bid quest!

Thanks for you advice and info!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dmms said:

We requested our H3 liquors and mixers and to clean out the fridge, replace with tea & juice.

If you get bottles of liquors, the mixers are included. Don't get rid of them.

• Haha 1

When I asked the butler to remove all for sale items he took them out in front of me an put them on the counter. Would this meet, and has it met, your expectations.  

Even in normal cabins typically they are removed from the cabin

14 minutes ago, Martini Mensch said:

Does the Author, Sthrngary, prefer the heaven on NCL over what some call a luxury ship?

@Martini MenschGreat name.  I have done both.  I want to answer this question fairly.  The personalized service, food, bars, and butlers on Luxury Brands are a cut above the NCL Haven.  Hard to describe but you feel it from day one. No one is ever rushed and the sky is the limit on our requests.  I prefer this experience if I was on a Mediterranean Cruise for 10 days or more. 

The Haven is my choice for  cruises close to home.  I love the big ships, the big shows and the action.  At 64 I love to do the water slides, go cart track and Lasor tag. When I get sick of the crowds, I go back to the Haven.  

For a week out of a U.S. port, I choose the Haven for those reasons.  I hope I answered your question. 

Cruise Well.

10 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

When I asked the butler to remove all for sale items he took them out in front of me an put them on the counter. Would this meet, and has it met, your expectations.  

Even in normal cabins typically they are removed from the cabin

NO, I want this out of the suite completely.  It does not help me to put them on the counter unless the room steward is coming to get them in a bit.  If I read you post right, that was odd behavior by the Butler. 

Cruise well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Butlers told me that they would work like crazy for some suites, the guest would have all kinds of requests.  After they did them all, the guest would leave without tipping them.  When I heard this story over and over again, I realized it would be hard to be motivated knowing I might not make a full salary that week.  That is when the letter with the gratuity came from.  Since doing this action, my butlers have been good to great.  Where as before they were hit/miss.

This makes perfect sense.  I suspect some resist the idea of tipping up front because it smacks of greasing one's palm, like slipping the mâitre d' a sawbuck or two to move your group to the head of the waitline.  Personally. I have no problem with that tactic, but I can see where it would bother some.

Others are leery of tipping until they experience what level of service the butler provides.  I'm more sympathetic to that.  I would never tip a waiter in advance.  But then, too often, I've suffered waiters who provided lousy service (then still expected a tip).  Ship's butlers, I feel, fall into a different class.  Most of them consider themselves as professionals.  Tipping up front acknowledges that; the guest is, in essence, telling the butler, "I already know you're going to do a great job for me so I'm confident in tipping you, now."  That immediately establishes a good working relationship.

Incidentally, I've finished the first draught of my Gary letter.  I had to put it in my own voice, so it doesn't read much like yours.  But you did have two lines in yours that I felt hit the mark perfectly, so I used them verbatim.  Now, the Good Mrs. Benson and I will spend the next six months deciding on what requests to put in it.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

NO, I want this out of the suite completely.  It does not help me to put them on the counter unless the room steward is coming to get them in a bit.  If I read you post right, that was odd behavior by the Butler. 

Cruise well.

In my 2 br I def have the space but the stuff still sits there lol. No biggie just weird. I'm more disappointed no full window in the shower like every other 2 br. Also didn't realize how much I appreciate a full 2 panel balcony door. Silly thing I never researched. Instead I have a wall then small window at the sofa. 

20220306_154915.jpg

• Like 1

This is the response to the email I sent to concierge this morning:

We will be more than happy to assist you. We have noted your request for you on your reservation. Please note all treats brought to your room are at the discretion of the executive chef. If we note your reservations of these items ahead of time you will be charge once onboard. Please speak to your butler once onboard for any snacks. We have sent your request for dining directly to the ship and it will be confirmed once you are onboard with Concierge. You will not see the request on your end as its sent internally. If you have any further questions feel free to let us know. 

19 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The personalized service, food, bars, and butlers on Luxury Brands are a cut above the NCL Haven.  Hard to describe but you feel it from day one. No one is ever rushed and the sky is the limit on our requests.  

Very glad to hear this.  For our next cruise, the one after September's sailing on Norwegian Joy, the Good Mrs. Benson and decided that the destination didn't matter; we were going to go for total luxury and pampering on board the ship.  That one was to take place in 2024.  But last month, I chanced upon Regent Seven Sea's two-upgrade offer, and I had to jump on that while I could.  So we're booked on a Regent cruise for November of next year.

As I recall, Mr. Tilkin, you and your wife did your luxury cruise with Crystal.  I'm hoping that Regent has the same indulgent attitude towards its guests.

Unlike you, sir, I'm perfectly happy without the big attractions and the hustle and bustle of big ships.  I'm twice-retired, and my two careers gave me adventure enough.  The most excitement I want now is drawing back-to-back aces after doubling down on two tens at the blackjack table.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

As I recall, Mr. Tilkin, you and your wife did your luxury cruise with Crystal.  I'm hoping that Regent has the same indulgent attitude towards its guests.

@CDR BensonI am so happy to hear this decision you made.  I saw the same special with Regent.  RSSC is the gold standard and your wish is there command. You are right, I went on Crystal. I chose Crystal because the investment for the Bahamas was so low.  I then got upgraded twice to one of the nicest suites on the ship.  I would have much preferred RSSC.  If only for the truly all inclusive approach they use. 

I think you will see what I saw.  The entire ship will be the Haven on steroids.  Please let us know how that trip goes.  I am very excited for you and the Mrs.

Cruise Well.

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I think you will see what I saw.  The entire ship will be the Haven on steroids.  Please let us know how that trip goes.  I am very excited for you and the Mrs.

I appreciate the good information and the good wishes, sir.  Yeah, I have to admit, after booking the Regent cruise, the  "Are you crazy?" alarm bells started going off in my head.  Yes, we have the wherewithal to take the cruise, but the practical lobe of my brain would insist that we use that money to put up a new fence around the house or renovate the bedroom or something else tangible.

The thing is, as I said in another post somewhere on this board, I don't want to one day discover all the things the Good Mrs. Benson and I said we'd get around to "someday" are too late for us to do.  The intangibles have worth, too.  And sitting together, wrapped in the luxury of our suite, viewing the beauty of the world is worth more than any new fence or renovated bedroom.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If you were upgraded, 8 days until our cruise, how do we contact our butler or does he/she contact me? We are in an aft penthouse so we aren't in the haven area.

Edited by llgator
Didn't mean to quote someone

8 minutes ago, llgator said:

If you were upgraded, 8 days until our cruise, how do we contact our butler or does he/she contact me? We are in an aft penthouse so we aren't in the haven area.

You don't.  Just wait until you are on-board.  You will be just fine.  Think of what is important to you to share with your butler and the Haven Desk.  Now just wait for your upgrade and if not simply enjoy your cruise.

Cruise well

We already received the upgrade to an aft suite. Do we need to do anything else beforehand? And can the concierge change our current specialty restaurant reservations to more convenient times? Also, will NCL allow me to remove the extra dining package we purchased since we can eat in the Haven now? 

We were in a club balcony and got a free bag of laundry.  Do we still get any laundry services? Thanks!

19 minutes ago, llgator said:

And can the concierge change our current specialty restaurant reservations to more convenient times?

Yes, send them an email.  

20 minutes ago, llgator said:

Also, will NCL allow me to remove the extra dining package we purchased since we can eat in the Haven now?

Yes, call them today and ask them to take it off your account and refund to the credit card used.  I say to it today because to much closer to the trip, may be and issue.  Two day prior is usually the deadline.

21 minutes ago, llgator said:

We were in a club balcony and got a free bag of laundry.  Do we still get any laundry services?

No, that is lost.  Just like if you would have been in a Spa suite, then non-spa suite. You would not get the Spa.  

I hope I helped.

Cruise well.

• Like 2