The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

9 hours ago, Battlement said:

This is an amazing thread. Thanks to @Sthrngary @cruiseny4lifeand the other folks from this board who have answered my questions. 

We have been Retreat devotees for a decade, and this is our first Haven experience. Like Gary, if my wife is happy, I am happy. So, my plan is to tip the Haven staff early (bartenders, Butler, maybe concierge) and maybe even let them know that I would like to open my wife's mind to NCL Haven (sorta spark some friendly competition, give them a financial and pride-based reason to make the trip awesome!).

I hope we get a great butler. I'm ready with cash to toss his way (her way? are there female butlers? anyway...) 

Getaway room 13902, leaving in 3 days.  If you're on the ship or have questions about anything I'd be glad to try to pay it forward to all the folks that have answered mine.

One last question: my son is super excited for the noodle bar. All I keep reading is that the lines for it are insane. Any tips to help out with that? Can the concierge get us in the back door, or perhaps the butler bring dishes to our cabin? 

Thanks again, all!

@Battlement You are more than welcome.  The Getaway was my first Haven Experience way back when.  On tipping.  Your call and a hotbed of debate.  I personally provide the Butler with their tip upfront which is not every ones approach. I toss $20 or so a couple of times during the week at the bartenders in the Haven Bar.  I usually wait until the end to take care of the Haven concierge. 

Four your son and the noodle bar.  This is one of my favorite places, my wife and I love it. Get on line about 45 minutes early.  I do not think the Haven can help you with that one.  This restaurant pack them in for each service.  I love sitting at the bar and watching them cook.

You usually get a choose for the day one lunch when you embark.  I have done the American Dinner and it is not my cup of tea.  I usually go to the Haven Restaurant where others who have cruised NCL usually go.  

A word of advice.  The real secret to the Haven is engaging with the Haven Staff.  The better they know you, the more welcome they make you feel.  Gratuities help but a pleasant guest is the key. I have also do the Retreat.  The two are close but I prefer the Haven.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Battlement said:

I hope we get a great butler. I'm ready with cash to toss his way (her way? are there female butlers? anyway...) 

Getaway room 13902, leaving in 3 days.  If you're on the ship or have questions about anything I'd be glad to try to pay it forward to all the folks that have answered mine.

One last question: my son is super excited for the noodle bar. All I keep reading is that the lines for it are insane. Any tips to help out with that? Can the concierge get us in the back door, or perhaps the butler bring dishes to our cabin? 

Ok! Now you've made me excited for your trip. Like, so very really much excited! 

First, because 13902 is such a spectacular room. I don't remember if we discussed this already (my brain is mush). I've stayed in that room twice. Your family is going to fall in love with the balcony, the main bathroom, and the location (even if you do have to walk to get to the Haven)! Oh, how I wish I was coming along with you!

Shanghai!! The line is ridiculous during lunch as it is only open for 1.5 - 2 hours on sea days. When we went to lunch, we always arrived 45 minutes before opening. You can't get priority seating if you're in the Haven. BUT do I have the best solution ever for you! 

On embarkation day, talk with your butler. Let your butler know you'd like to have yummy Shanghai delivered to your room. Ask your butler the best way to order it - how much prep time do they need to get it to you. Ask for any tips on ordering. For instance, our butler told us to call him one hour ahead of Shanghai's dinner opening. This would allow him to stop by at opening for the dim sum we wanted (we only ordered apps, no entrees/dessert). He said this is when the dim sum is at it's freshest and we wouldn't have to wait for him to service other rooms before we got our food.

So, we ordered and voila, at 5:10 PM, we had a feast of Shanghai in our room (and yes, it was 13902). So, if you want to skip the line just order from your butler. 

Speaking of, we have always had male butlers, however I know the fantastic hostess from Getaway's Haven Restaurant, Janet, began butler training about a year ago. I'm not sure if she is still a butler, or would be onboard, but if your butler is Janet, then you are in the absolute best, most capable hands of anyone working onboard a Norwegian ship. 

Have a stellar trip!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

The real secret to the Haven is engaging with the Haven Staff.  The better they know you, the more welcome they make you feel.  Gratuities help but a pleasant guest is the key. I have also do the Retreat.  The two are close but I prefer the Haven.

Amen to that sage advice.  Could't agree more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just to add to the Haven experience (and true of any other experience on any other brands)...

-an ounce of friendliness towards the staff, a little appreciation shown for the work they do, will net you a great experience.  Don't bark at them.  Don't be demanding.

-give them tine to do their job.  Mostly, they can do what you can't on board. But, it's not instantaneous. 

-a smile, a kind greeting, inquiring about their well being will do wonders in the job they will do for you

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

On embarkation day, talk with your butler. Let your butler know you'd like to have yummy Shanghai delivered to your room. Ask your butler the best way to order it - how much prep time do they need to get it to you. Ask for any tips on ordering. For instance, our butler told us to call him one hour ahead of Shanghai's dinner opening. This would allow him to stop by at opening for the dim sum we wanted (we only ordered apps, no entrees/dessert). He said this is when the dim sum is at it's freshest and we wouldn't have to wait for him to service other rooms before we got our food.

So, we ordered and voila, at 5:10 PM, we had a feast of Shanghai in our room (and yes, it was 13902). So, if you want to skip the line just order from your butle

Thanks so much for this strategy! We may try to check Shanghai out for lunch on the first port day (we will likely only get off the ship once or twice - we are full-on "relax and charge the batteries" style vacationers), because I know my son would love to see them make the noodle dishes. But the butler move is an excellent piece of advice if this fails! Thank you.

I've checked out the videos of 13902, and it does look incredible. The weather in NYC is looking rough for departure day, so I hope the stateroom and Haven areas can counterbalance that. From what you've all said, I have no doubt they will!

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Just to add to the Haven experience (and true of any other experience on any other brands)...

-an ounce of friendliness towards the staff, a little appreciation shown for the work they do, will net you a great experience.  Don't bark at them.  Don't be demanding.

-give them tine to do their job.  Mostly, they can do what you can't on board. But, it's not instantaneous. 

-a smile, a kind greeting, inquiring about their well being will do wonders in the job they will do for you

Having worked in retail pharmacy for 20 years, I can absolutely relate! I feel like your tips should be posted on the door of every customer service business in existence. In fact, our problem is that my wife and I are often too timid to speak up and ask for "extra" stuff - but it sounds like the Haven crew can pretty much make anything happen if you ask nicely and show some patience.

Thanks again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I have also found that if we’ve had good service from a crew member, we take a headshot photo of them with their name badge and tell them we will mention them by name in the post cruise survey.  

Of course you have to be sincere and follow through.

The accolades by name in the survey are as good as gold for crew members in terms of future promotions and the increased pay that comes with them.  

I haven’t done this yet, but on our upcoming Haven cruise on the Breakaway this Fall, when we are delighted by a crew member, I’m going to take the picture right then to thank them.  Instant gratification can go a long way in addition to @graphicguy’s excellent advice.  

Edited by McGarrett5oh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning - will be traveling in June on the NCL Joy and have a few questions about the Haven rooms. The ones currently available are Haven penthouse - HI, Haven Courtyard - HF, and the Haven Courtyard - HE. Been reading as much as I can but could someone tell me if it is better to be part of the Haven Courtyard or have access to it. I do have some mobility and balance issues so being jostled by crowds not my favorite time. Also want to make sure that the rooms are quiet. Seems like the ones outside of the main area are also part of the general ship so concerned about kids running up and down the halls, very noisy people coming from bars, etc. Suggestions about which category to choose and if possible, what room, assuming it is available. Have only been on a few cruises several years ago if I don't count 2 years on a destroyer.

Much appreciated.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NclCruiuser said:

Good morning - will be traveling in June on the NCL Joy and have a few questions about the Haven rooms. The ones currently available are Haven penthouse - HI, Haven Courtyard - HF, and the Haven Courtyard - HE. Been reading as much as I can but could someone tell me if it is better to be part of the Haven Courtyard or have access to it. I do have some mobility and balance issues so being jostled by crowds not my favorite time. Also want to make sure that the rooms are quiet. Seems like the ones outside of the main area are also part of the general ship so concerned about kids running up and down the halls, very noisy people coming from bars, etc. Suggestions about which category to choose and if possible, what room, assuming it is available. Have only been on a few cruises several years ago if I don't count 2 years on a destroyer.

Much appreciated.... 

Not trying to dissuade you from NCL, but based on your post, I’d give Holland America a serious look!

• Haha 1

Much appreciated.... 

@NclCruiuser Hello and welcome to CruiseCritic.com.  I have been on the NCL Joy in the Haven twice.  I read your post and understand your question and concern. Based on the mobility issues, I would stay in the Haven Proper.  Here is why.  The Joy has a elevator in the Haven that takes you to both Haven floors.  It also has an elevator that takes you to the Haven Sundeck.  The Haven Elevators are never crowded. 

Some one suggest HAL,  that is a very nice brand.  There are a lot of Very Nice Brands.  However I am simply addressing your question based on asking about the Haven.  BTW, I am the author of this stream.  Ask me and anyone else on this thread.  Everyone is really nice.

• Like 1

Much appreciated.... 

We've done four HAL cruises, all in suites.

We have done three NCL cruises.  One in the Haven and the rest outside the Haven.

In our opinion, HAL has nothing close to NCL Haven.  We like HAL until we discovered the Haven. HAL doesn't have a dedicated bar/restaurant like Haven.  It is quieter and less croweded.  

We switched from HAL to NCL because we enjoy the Haven experience.  We would not cruise any other.

We have been outside the Haven and inside.  Inside is much better IOO. Our future cruises will all be inside the Haven simply because we getting to the point where we like to avoid crowds.  

• Thanks 1

Please pick inside the Haven proper. It will take minutes to get to your room from the restaurant, lounge or sundeck. People choose the far away suites with Haven privileges for two reasons. They often have two rooms( bedroom and living room and they are much less money.) It’s not worth it. They are very far from the amenities that had you choose the Haven to begin with. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to go back to your room to pick up something you forgot, use your own restroom and have the concierge right there. That’s where you meet to go down to shows or leave on excursions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Not trying to dissuade you from NCL, but based on your post, I’d give Holland America a serious look!

we traveled on Holland years ago and loved it. Key on this cruise was leaving out of NY for convenience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NclCruiuser said:

we traveled on Holland years ago and loved it. Key on this cruise was leaving out of NY for convenience.

OK…I get it.  Kids in the Haven have never been an issue with me.  I have read where some let their little br……ummmm….little angels run free, though !  Personally, I blame that on their parents.

Being near the Haven Bar/Restaurant doesn’t matter to me.  I can take an elevator from anywhere and be nearer than if I had a cabin in the Haven area.

I’ve sailed in and out of the Haven area in Haven cabins ranging from Spa to 2BR suites.  Never had an issue with noise.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:53 PM, Battlement said:

This is an amazing thread. Thanks to @Sthrngary @cruiseny4lifeand the other folks from this board who have answered my questions. 

We have been Retreat devotees for a decade, and this is our first Haven experience. Like Gary, if my wife is happy, I am happy. So, my plan is to tip the Haven staff early (bartenders, Butler, maybe concierge) and maybe even let them know that I would like to open my wife's mind to NCL Haven (sorta spark some friendly competition, give them a financial and pride-based reason to make the trip awesome!).

Thanks again, all!

One of my favorite butlers was Fanny on the Bliss. 

IMG_1635.jpeg

• Like 2

We use Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com . I found out about him here on Cruise Critic . We have used him since the restart. My husband was ill two days before we left on a Celebrity cruise ( retreat). . We spent the night in the hospital. We got a full refund. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NclCruiuser said:

Thanks for all the advice - booked the Haven Courtyard. Any suggestions for travel insurance beside Allianz?

@NclCruiuser I have used Allianz Insurance for every cruise and my trip next month to Europe with my adult daughter for over five years.  I had three claims and one really big one.  They paid in less then 15 days.  Never use the cruise brand insurance.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Please pick inside the Haven proper. It will take minutes to get to your room from the restaurant, lounge or sundeck. People choose the far away suites with Haven privileges for two reasons. They often have two rooms( bedroom and living room and they are much less money.) It’s not worth it. They are very far from the amenities that had you choose the Haven to begin with. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to go back to your room to pick up something you forgot, use your own restroom and have the concierge right there. That’s where you meet to go down to shows or leave on excursions. 

Im sorry, but I have to disagree.  I had an aft cabin with large balcony ( was a Suite, but not in Haven proper).  As I was walking around the Haven proper area, I just did not like the vibe.  Didn't like going thru the long hallway above the pool ( I assume that's where the cabins are).  When I wanted to get to the Haven lounge, I would walk the entire hallway to the front of the ship, say hello to whoever, then go up 2 flights of stairs ( I was on deck 15, aft).  I believe it was about 1/4 mile walk , which was great exercise.  I also used the regular observation lounge ( as well as Haven Observation lounge) many times, which I seem to enjoy much more.  People were talkative in the regular observation lounge plus they had a bar in it ( unlike Haven, you had to get up, go thru the pool area to get to the bar.  Bar service in the Haven Observation Lounge was pretty non-existent.  I did enjoy the coffee machine in the Haven Observation lounge.  

10 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Im sorry, but I have to disagree.  I had an aft cabin with large balcony ( was a Suite, but not in Haven proper).  As I was walking around the Haven proper area, I just did not like the vibe.  Didn't like going thru the long hallway above the pool ( I assume that's where the cabins are).  When I wanted to get to the Haven lounge, I would walk the entire hallway to the front of the ship, say hello to whoever, then go up 2 flights of stairs ( I was on deck 15, aft).  I believe it was about 1/4 mile walk , which was great exercise.  I also used the regular observation lounge ( as well as Haven Observation lounge) many times, which I seem to enjoy much more.  People were talkative in the regular observation lounge plus they had a bar in it ( unlike Haven, you had to get up, go thru the pool area to get to the bar.  Bar service in the Haven Observation Lounge was pretty non-existent.  I did enjoy the coffee machine in the Haven Observation lounge.  

@9tee2Sea The core of this side track to this thread was someone with mobility issues on the NCL Joy.  They wanted to go out of port of New York.  They just wanted to know based on their situation, in or out of Haven Proper?  

The Haven is not for everyone.  It is not for every ship. It is not for every itinerary.  It does not met every guest needs.  Some guest love it, some like it, some think it is average and other don't like it at all.  This is that way it should be.  Chooses.  Everyone for the most part that comment love to cruise.  Having the Haven Debate keeps cruising on all of our minds. 

• Like 2

Yes, the question was comfort if you have mobility issues, not how to get the best exercise. We don’t drink,  so bar service is not important to us but I enjoyed the jolly atmosphere at the Haven bar in the lounge. We use the concierge a lot. We always go to the shows and excursions with an escort so having them nearby is great. We also use them for printing so we don’t have To go to the Internet cafe at set hours. The Haven sundeck with lunch ( and bar service) is worth more to us than a big aft deck with no shade. But that’s what makes horse racing.

@Sthrngary@cruiseny4life@graphicguy 

Hello folks, 

Well, we've received a text barrage from NCL saying they've been delayed by weather, and that instead of our carefully planned 10:30-11am checkin time, we (apparently all 3500 of us) are to show up between 3pm and 6pm. 

Advice? I understand that weather is a factor that cant be controlled (although there was also a mechanical delay last week, altering their itinerary and delaying their boarding). I really have no desire to start our trip in a 3000 person cattle call panic at the NYC port. The text alert specifically says not to arrive before 3pm, as the port "won't be open". 

As a Haven passenger, what would you do?

Thanks again for any advice on this. We will basically be camping in a Jersey hotel lobby until it's time to head over. 

3 minutes ago, Battlement said:

Hello folks, 

Well, we've received a text barrage from NCL saying they've been delayed by weather, and that instead of our carefully planned 10:30-11am checkin time, we (apparently all 3500 of us) are to show up between 3pm and 6pm. 

Advice? I understand that weather is a factor that cant be controlled (although there was also a mechanical delay last week, altering their itinerary and delaying their boarding). I really have no desire to start our trip in a 3000 person cattle call panic at the NYC port. The text alert specifically says not to arrive before 3pm, as the port "won't be open". 

Thanks again for any advice on this. We will basically be camping in a Jersey hotel lobby until it's time to head over. 

Well...if the port won't be open, I don't think I'd want to mill around outside.  What time is sailaway?

I'd make certain you are at the port about 3 hours before sailaway.  You're kind of at the mercy of the weather, as you state.  I wouldn't want to wait outside if it's raining, windy, etc.

3 minutes ago, Battlement said:

Hello folks, 

@Battlement I am not sure where port you are going out of.  I would get to the port 1 hour early in this case, 02:00 PM.  The first part is the hardest.  You just have to get through security.  Once that is done, there are signs to the Haven Entrance like for First Class Sky Miles Members at the Airport. These signs are not easy to find so really look.  You don't want to get on a regular guest line.  

I also don't like lines so standing a bit prior to getting through security is for me a necessary evil.  Again, just get through security.