I Watch and cruising

Grammyluvs

I am not sure if I understand your question, but I will take a stab at it.

iWatch and iPhone are paired using blue tooth.  You do not need an internet/cell tower for the two to connect.

If you place your iPhone on airplane mode, your iWatch will also display same.  

If you are iPhone is connected to the Medallion Net, your iPhone will pick up iMessages from people sending them to you via iMessage (iPhone).  This is one of the unique features of iMessage.

As long as you are in airplane mode and connected to the Medallion net,  you will be able to use the functions on your iWatch (iMessage, mail, and other apps).

The key is to turn your iPhone airplane mode on as soon as you board the ship.  

• Like 2

I'm not an Iphone or Iwatch person, But I was looking at them at one point and thought I read that you do not need the phone with you to use the watch the same as you would with the phone. What that means to me is there are some types that might be like the tablets that have their own service?? I have a friend that always gets the new I stuff when they come out, and have seen him use the watch as a phone without having his phone with him I believe.

Edited by Moondogy
  • Like 1

There are two versions of the Apple Watch. One version with wifi and bluetooth, and a cellular version with wifi and bluetooth. The cellular version can make and receive calls without an iPhone nearby.

If you have the cellular version, you should enable airplane mode, then turn on just wifi and bluetooth. Leave cellular turned off to prevent excessive charges.

Also, it's not called an "Iwatch" or "I Watch".

It's called an "Apple Watch" 🙂

Edited by milogurd
  • Like 2