Picture-a-week 2022 week 07

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, February 14 and Sunday, February 20.

We Heart Photos! Post a few!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Tuesday afternoon, time to wander out and check the bugs of the back fence. Macro of course.

firstly, a couple of harlequin bugs. Quite different colour patterns, heads could be sharper.

HBug1.thumb.jpg.e891396c107e91377555f77b98b8a9b6.jpg

Hbug2.thumb.jpg.b0c4139be1ca7ce1c46aa878b26d3907.jpg

Then some spider action, one wrestling with its lunch.

1322336051_spiderlunch2.thumb.jpg.fe1714f37ddfab1c08aa94dcb14cf040.jpg

816006576_Spiderlunch1.thumb.jpg.3bb5587042a7f54e6668a857bf4a006b.jpg

Spider lunch.jpg

• Like 6

Monday was a continuation of my Disney vacation which I shared in the last 'week' thread - on this day, my last of the vacation, I enjoyed a beautiful cold day in Animal Kingdom park.  The skies were clear and the daytime high was 55 degrees and sunny - it was pure perfection!

Boy, ring-tailed lemurs have seriously long tails!:

original.jpg

Some of the scenery from the planet Pandora:

original.jpg

A tiger enjoying a bone:

original.jpg

This white-cheeked gibbon looked very comfortable - like he was sitting in a La-Z-Boy chair watching the world go by:

original.jpg

Walking around the small Nepalese village near Everest:

original.jpg

A napping hippo up on the bank:

original.jpg

A female lion up on her kopje lookout:

original.jpg

The African riverfront port of Harambe:
original.jpg

The Tree of Life at sunset:

original.jpg

• Like 5

Well I had photos from Monday for the beginning range of this thread, and now I can add a few from Saturday the 19th for the end range of the thread - when I was able to get back out to the wetlands to see what I had been missing up at Disney.

Great egrets have begun building nests, and have grown out the long aigrette feathers on their back for breeding plumage, along with the vivid green around their face to attract mates - they can fan those aigrettes out peacock style to get the attention of a potential mate:

original.jpg

Anhingas are known for their underwater prowess - diving and swimming quickly around under the surface for up to a minute...and when they see a fish they want, they use their coiled neck and dagger-like bill just like a speargun - striking out to stab at the fish, quite successfully as you can see here:

original.jpg

Very close up with a great blue heron, who was too busy hunting for fish to worry about me standing there 8 feet away:

original.jpg

Whistling Duck Island - some very exclusive real estate.  It's a small island but popular with the black-bellied whistling ducks, though a glossy ibis nearby seemed jealous of the ducks enjoying their lush retreat:

original.jpg

Green iguanas turn orange when they're in breeding colors...and the large males will display their big dewlaps to attract a mate.  Sometimes, it also attracts a challenger, as another large male comes along and they battle to see who gets the ladies.  There's lots of posturing - standing up tall, inflating their bodies, raising their spikes, and puffing out their dewlaps:

original.jpg

A wood stork making a run to the hardware store for fresh lumber to build a sturdy nest.  They often seem to try to one-up each other with who can fly back with the biggest piece of wood:

original.jpg

All the displays and colors for the great egrets pays off - this pair found each other and seemed quite in love:

original.jpg

• Like 7

Back in Britain's exploration boom in the mid to late 1800s, the explorers and missionaries brought back tales of traversing the vast expanse of the African continent. In answer to an interviewer’s question regarding what they saw, one famous explorer supposedly answered, “MMBA” which he explained stood for ”miles and miles of bloody Africa” This week featured a more contemporary version that son Dan and I saw while relocating his car from Houston to SoCal. Driving 1,583 miles in a span of 30 hours with a five-hour hotel stay and breakfast with his son in Phoenix included, was rather tiring but afforded a lot of time to chat about things and see our own version of MMBA. For us, MMBA was Miles and Miles of Beautiful America!

MMBA

1243722084_2022-07MMBA.thumb.jpg.a7fd8cfd1a0cea578d33f6d959d5905e.jpg

Dave

• Like 3