Past cruiser discount

FlyerTalker

Have searched for an answer and not finding one - the Viking website is silent.

Is the discount for past Viking cruisers a fixed amount per cruise, a percentage of your fare, a variable percentage based on number of past cruises, or some other combination of factors?  Want to "fact check" my travel agent.

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Is the discount for past Viking cruisers a fixed amount per cruise, a percentage of your fare, a variable percentage based on number of past cruises, or some other combination of factors?  Want to "fact check" my travel agent.

Thanks in advance.

@FT, I received a "Past Guest Level 2" discount of $200 per person on each of 3 trips booked for 2022 and 2023. It was a flat rate that did not vary by the fare cost, or past number of trips - that's my understanding of what Viking offers.

I believe that I have seen a few reports of better discounts from shipboard booking, but that may be just faulty memory, or confusion with various promotions.

Certainly there are wide variations in perks offered by various TAs, such as OBC, but that's separate from your question if I understood it properly. 🍺🥌

Past guest discount is $100 pp.  I checked several old invoices and the only one different was $200 for the cruises we booked while we were on board a few months ago.  Double past guest discount was a perk for booking on board.

I also seem to remember double past guest discount being offered online within the last 6 months or so.

Edited by Mich3554

Our experience is identical to @CurlerRob.  Past Guest Level 2 discount on three upcoming bookings ranging from 12 day cruise to WC, all $200/pp.  None of these trips were booked on board.  We’ve been on 9 past Viking cruises, so not sure what difference that makes.  But they seem to be running a double past guest discount now.

Edited by MarkTapley
Added current discount info.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

It IS on the website - but nicely hidden under the “Resources” tab of each cruise itinerary. The direct link is:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/why-viking/community/viking-explorer-society.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

It IS on the website - but nicely hidden under the “Resources” tab of each cruise itinerary. The direct link is:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/why-viking/community/viking-explorer-society.html

When we exited our cruise in December 2021, we were given the same info as the link above - $200/person if the cruise was booked within a year and $100/person if booked within 1 - 2 years.  I've looked at cruises with the double past guest discount and it was $400/person within a year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

So that seems to indicate that it is the length of time since your last cruise that determines the dollar amount.  Booked within a year = $200.  Booked after a year = $100.  And no mention of "Level 2" or the like.

That’s the terminology used on Viking’s booking document. Not sure what it means, but all of my bookings say Level 1 regardless of the amount. One was $400pp; the others $200pp.

Thanks for sussing that out Squawkman.

Clear evidence of a secret society (the Level 1 folks).  Those of us in Level 2 will continue to aspire to raise ourselves! (Although it helps that the discounts seem to be generally the same ...). 😈🍺🥌

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 11:09 PM, CurlerRob said:

Thanks for sussing that out Squawkman.

Clear evidence of a secret society (the Level 1 folks).  Those of us in Level 2 will continue to aspire to raise ourselves! (Although it helps that the discounts seem to be generally the same ...). 😈🍺🥌

If only we knew how to raise ourselves!