Flying from US to Vancouver with a layover in Toronto - Customs Question

kstetser

We are trying to book our flights from Philly to Vancouver for a late July cruise.   Our best option has us connecting in Toronto (YYZ) and switching from international to domestic.   So, we will need to go through customs in YYZ.   How long of a layover is needed to get bags, go through customs, recheck bags and get on domestic flight to Vancouver.  We will literally save well over $1,000, so it's worth a bit of a hassle, I just don't want to get stuck in YYZ (as much as I love the song)!

1 hour ago, cruiseryyc said:

I would book a through ticket on the same airline so you don't have to re-check in; but no matter what they say give yourselves at least two hours in between flights.

It is the same airline, but you have to collect your bags and go through customs when entering Canada.  Then recheck your bags and go back through security again.  That's the issue.

Edited by kstetser

I booked Atlanta - Vancouver, with a connection in Toronto.  When I made my original booking, I chose flights so that I had over 3 hours in Toronto.  Yesterday, Air Canada emailed me to inform me that my flights had changed.  I noticed that I now only have 1 hour and 15 minutes in Toronto.  I called Air Canada, as I am worried that this is not enough time.  I was told that it's more than enough time.  I hope they are right, as I don't want to miss the connecting flight.

• Like 1

I'm considering going through Toronto-Pearson (Hartford-Toronto-Vancouver) on Air Canada in August and found some helpful info on the subject:

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/toronto-pearson-international-airport/us-ca.html#/

There's also a page describing the reverse, and it's basically the same process. Not sure we can do it in an hour and a half with elderly parents, but boy it's a LOT cheaper than United...

Pearson's info: https://www.torontopearson.com/en/arrivals/customs-and-immigration

Skyscanner also had some info on the topic:

https://www.skyscanner.ca/tips-and-inspiration/travelling-air-canada-toronto-pearson-airport

Canada Customs, info on using the airport kiosks: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/border-tech-frontiere/pik-bip-eng.html

Interesting that Air Canada said "no problem" to an hour and 15 layover... I'd sure like to spend $600pp instead of over a thousand, but I'm not convinced yet. I'm hoping to see a post from someone who's actually done it.

13 hours ago, Kirsten T said:

There's also a page describing the reverse, and it's basically the same process. Not sure we can do it in an hour and a half with elderly parents, but boy it's a LOT cheaper than United...

If you are concerned about traveling with elderly parents after you book your flight drop their assitance e-mail an e-mail with your flight details and tell them your parents have difficulty walking long distances. ( acmedical@aircanada.ca or 1-800-667-4732 ) and how many people in the group.    They will put a note on the file and have an agent with a golf cart meet your flight and help expedite getting you through the process to the connecting gate.   

Toronto is a very large airport. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:32 AM, Sherme said:

I booked Atlanta - Vancouver, with a connection in Toronto.  When I made my original booking, I chose flights so that I had over 3 hours in Toronto.  Yesterday, Air Canada emailed me to inform me that my flights had changed.  I noticed that I now only have 1 hour and 15 minutes in Toronto.  I called Air Canada, as I am worried that this is not enough time.  I was told that it's more than enough time.  I hope they are right, as I don't want to miss the connecting flight.

It should be.  

Air Canada has hourly flights between Toronto and Vancouver.  Most of the flights on this route are between 190 and 450 passenger aircraft. If your inbound is late, they have a lot of options to rebook. 

On 2/22/2022 at 1:41 AM, em-sk said:

If you are concerned about traveling with elderly parents after you book your flight drop their assitance e-mail an e-mail with your flight details and tell them your parents have difficulty walking long distances. ( acmedical@aircanada.ca or 1-800-667-4732 ) and how many people in the group.    They will put a note on the file and have an agent with a golf cart meet your flight and help expedite getting you through the process to the connecting gate.   

Toronto is a very large airport. 

That's really helpful - thank you! 

• 1 month later...

We're booked ALL on Air Canada in the reverse w/ a red eye flight.  From Vancouver  to Philadelphia  w/connection in Toronto in July 2022. Layover is 2hr-20 min. I'd like to assume since we start in Canada, we won't have to fool with our luggage or customs in Toronto. Am I correct?

18 hours ago, Willwils said:

We're booked ALL on Air Canada in the reverse w/ a red eye flight.  From Vancouver  to Philadelphia  w/connection in Toronto in July 2022. Layover is 2hr-20 min. I'd like to assume since we start in Canada, we won't have to fool with our luggage or customs in Toronto. Am I correct?

Probably - the timing for US Preclearance at Toronto is currently 4:30am to 7:30pm, so the key is the timing of your second flight from YYZ-PHI.  If it's outside that window, you'll fly to the US as a regular International flight doing all customs & immigration when you land in Philly. If your second flight is within operating hours of CBP at YYZ though, you'll do both before boarding - which means collecting bags after landing.

Since things might change by July, I'll supply the links to both US Preclearance info (you'll have to scroll down, open the Canada page, and find Toronto to confirm operating hours nearer your travel dates) and Pearson's very handy 'travel hub' which lets you plug in your info about airlines, passport issuing country, Vax status etc. and get specific info for your circumstances regarding what tests, visas, security etc. you can expect.

I haven't flown through Pearson since before all the Covid-induced changes, so hopefully someone who has actually traveled at similar times to you will also answer -  but you do need to provide exact flight times, otherwise you'll undoubtedly get someone who says "X happened to me" and be telling the absolute truth... but because their flight was just inside the preclearance hours but yours wasn't or vice versa you end up with totally different treatment!

• Like 1

Thanks. This could be areal bummer. At least Air Canada confirmed  that our Saturday Covid test is good through Sunday with documentation that it's part of same flight arrangement. But, from what you said, our Toronto to Philly flight is scheduled for 835 AM, so will probably need to go through  customs  again. Will Air Canada baggage handlers know to get our luggage to us/or to baggage  claim. 

4 minutes ago, Willwils said:

Thanks. This could be areal bummer. At least Air Canada confirmed  that our Saturday Covid test is good through Sunday with documentation that it's part of same flight arrangement. But, from what you said, our Toronto to Philly flight is scheduled for 835 AM, so will probably need to go through  customs  again. Will Air Canada baggage handlers know to get our luggage to us/or to baggage  claim. 

Don't worry about your baggage.  You get off the plane in Toronto and will make your way to the connecting flight to the US (in your case, PHL).  It will all be very clearly marked.  Once you get to the US CBP pre-clearance area you wait around in a reception area until your name appears on an overhead sign..... basically this means your bag has arrived from the Canadian domestic flight and they are ready for you to go through CBP.  With 2h20m, you have plenty of time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Don't worry about your baggage.  You get off the plane in Toronto and will make your way to the connecting flight to the US (in your case, PHL).  It will all be very clearly marked.  Once you get to the US CBP pre-clearance area you wait around in a reception area until your name appears on an overhead sign..... basically this means your bag has arrived from the Canadian domestic flight and they are ready for you to go through CBP.  With 2h20m, you have plenty of time.

That makes more sense. Those links seemed to concern covid Vax & testing. Thanks 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Willwils said:

That makes more sense. Those links seemed to concern covid Vax & testing. Thanks 

Sorry it wasn't as useful as I thought - I should have actually made a dummy entry into the travel hub link rather than assuming it still gave the same info it used to as well as the Covid vaxx status/testing info. Pre-Covid as a connecting passenger you selected airline(s), origin, and destination and got a customized list of directions about whether your bags would go through seamlessly or need collected, if you had to pass through security, US CBP/Canadian CBSA etc. depending on what you entered.

Edited by martincath