Airfare Inclusion

Heartlander1965

I was looking at some flights recently and I think it was to FCO on AA. I couldn't seem to get any routing except through PHL. I thought for sure that there would be a nonstop from DFW, JFK, or ORD, but none I saw. I think I was looking at miles though, and that always reverts to what's available with them, not all flights that are available. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I was looking at some flights recently and I think it was to FCO on AA. I couldn't seem to get any routing except through PHL. I thought for sure that there would be a nonstop from DFW, JFK, or ORD, but none I saw. I think I was looking at miles though, and that always reverts to what's available with them, not all flights that are available. 

AA has plane problems...on delivery of 787's  and has cut a lot of this summers  europe and australia flights...     Check  UA.

8 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

AA has plane problems...on delivery of 787's  and has cut a lot of this summers  europe and australia flights...     Check  UA.

We have United here, the only problem is they always go to Denver from here to connect to anywhere else. Unless I'm going west, which is fairly rare when I'm on a cruise, that is out of the way and eats up extra time. I am flying on United in a couple of months. 

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

some airlines will offer  a non refundable BIZ class price  usually the same as or cheaper than PE   IME

It was still pricey  but worth it for overseas flights  for us

YMMV

You bet your life it is worth it.....     I book non refundable Bus on UAL/AC/ LH combos    Business was $400 more than PE !!!    Considering the HUGE difference  thats only $200 each way  or about $16  an hour  for us on the left coast.

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

We have United here, the only problem is they always go to Denver from here to connect to anywhere else. Unless I'm going west, which is fairly rare when I'm on a cruise, that is out of the way and eats up extra time. I am flying on United in a couple of months. 

Check out connections from IAH....  Take a SW to IAH !     I got a Non stop UAL  777-200 IAH  AMS     It might be worth it to take that route    Then take a short hop from AMS- to VCE/FCO/ BCN/      IAH has built another terminal to handle MORE international traffic  and UA owns IAH,     Too  Air Canada has a ton of non stops from Toronto/Montreal  ( mon amis)  One reason LHT might be able to get non stops with ease.... 

Speaking off Planes..  If you get the chance to book United Express ot any other wit the new EMB 175.....   Do it..    It will blow your sox off.... ( if the still wear sox in them hills down   your way.   

Edited by Hawaiidan

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I was referring primarily to one multi-city ticket (common for cruisers: A to B and C to A [cruise from B to C]) vs two separate one way tickets: A to B on one reservation and C to A on a separate reservation. For the last several years, I have found the two one way tix to be significantly cheaper (at least for biz class).

As for a RT ticket (A to B and B to A), I haven’t looked lately. But, I expect that kind of simple RT reservation would USUALLY be a far better deal than two one-way tix.
However, if I find myself looking for an RT, please know that I’ll look at all options for pricing.

Try this amigo....    Book a one way Bus   then get Domestic Econ + as a prem  MIA-SFO  for like $450!   Save $600   I seldom now book 1st domestic and rely on econ + and my  UA  status....   Which I assume your up there too. 

And if your up there in pecking order maybe a comp UG to  1st.....   

Just now, ORV said:

In looking at the flights on the UA website, note that all the options may not show in your initial search! The best routing/prices may be pages down (if at all). Their site works best when you have specific time frames (preferred time of day) and preferred connections worked into the query (which means also looking at multi-city) even though the basic booking will be “round trip.” Also check “all airlines” in the “advanced search” choices.

Of course, this requires that you know what are all the options ahead of time. And that’s where ITA Matrix comes into play.

With the understanding that ITA Matrix will also show some connecting flights that would actually require buying multiple tix because the main carrier will not sell that combo (and because ITA Matrix doesn’t show every airline in existence), their search engine will give you the time-of-day and connecting airport info that you need to plug into the United web search.

And, you’re still not done! Once you think you’ve got that best routing (as aforementioned: from SFO to Europe, always look at UA 58 (SFO-FRA) for the long haul bizclass price), call United and ask the rep to check for their price on your current Plan A route. This is important because the website may not consider time limited sales on the partner connection. We’ve seen this with Lufthansa connections! In addition, ask the rep  for their recommendation of the right combo of lowest price and best itinerary to get from A to B. If you’ve lucked out and get a good phone agent (best chance is if you’re a United FF and use that phone number that recognizes you when you call), s/he will bend over backward to identify the best options. 
And, if you are a long time United FF and/or ask nicely (or point out that your web search can’t find the specific flights you’re interested in), they will wave the $25 booking fee.

BTW, though United pricing may not be the best for your Plan A itinerary, the fact (made crystal clear by two years of Covid air challenges) is that (IMO) no other major airline has a better web interface or customer service in booking/changing flights.

Of course, there are several people here on CC who know far more about airlines than do I. Hopefully, they’ll weigh in on this.

26 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You bet your life it is worth it.....     I book non refundable Bus on UAL/AC/ LH combos    Business was $400 more than PE !!!    Considering the HUGE difference  thats only $200 each way  or about $16  an hour  for us on the left coast.

Absolutely!

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I was looking at some flights recently and I think it was to FCO on AA. I couldn't seem to get any routing except through PHL. I thought for sure that there would be a nonstop from DFW, JFK, or ORD,

PHL is the primary gateway for AA flights to Europe.  MIA and DFW to South America.  ORD to business markets in Europe, plus a few Asia flights.  AA has very limited service in/out of JFK to Europe, spare a few business markets and LHR.

10 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Try this amigo....    Book a one way Bus   then get Domestic Econ + as a prem  MIA-SFO  for like $450!   Save $600   I seldom now book 1st domestic and rely on econ + and my  UA  status....   Which I assume your up there too. 

And if your up there in pecking order maybe a comp UG to  1st.....   

I was 1K for years but now lowly Silver. 50k short of a million miles so always try to book UA on United hardware to get to lifetime Gold.

But, for now, the comp UGs are few and far between.

For our next cruise (ARN-LIS-NYC), we’re doing bizclass outbound UA/LH). But, return flight EWR-SFO will be United Premium Plus (better overall deal with two separate tix than one multi-city).

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I was 1K for years but now lowly Silver. 50k short of a million miles so always try to book UA on United hardware to get to lifetime Gold.

For our next cruise (ARN-LIS-NYC), we’re doing bizclass outbound UA/LH). But, return flight EWR-SFO will be United Premium Plus (better overall deal with two separate tix than one multi-city).

Ya', I was A 1K too... went to silver  now back up to Plat...    My wife is now Gold...     Up and down its a merry go round ...keeps me on my toes.    I only book Star alliance metal.  and Marriott beds     loyality PAYS...........

14 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Ya', I was A 1K too... went to silver  now back up to Plat...    My wife is now Gold...     Up and down its a merry go round ...keeps me on my toes.    I only book Star alliance metal.  and Marriott beds     loyality PAYS...........

Amen. For hotels, I must admit that I am picky. But I agree that Marriott is best overall with multiple brands and good worldwide coverage. However, I’m a big fan of Intercontinental and occasionally find myself in very specific Hilton or Hyatt properties (e.g., the Grand Hyatt in Poipu on Kauai.

But, for airlines, I agree with you about Star Alliance. However, until I get to 1 million UA miles, I’ll strive to use UA hardware since codeshares on partner hardware do not count for the million mile award. It must be a 016 UA ticket on United hardware.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You mean  Economy Plus.....    The EWR 787-10  has   Prem econ seats but listed I thought as Economy +....     Is that what you mean ?    Likewise, getting a economy  ticket and getting economy + can get you those Prem Econ seats for a coach fare and maybe a free UG  or cheap purchase.    

23 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You mean  Economy Plus.....    The EWR 787-10  has   Prem econ seats but listed I thought as Economy +....     Is that what you mean ?    Likewise, getting a economy  ticket and getting economy + can get you those Prem Econ seats for a coach fare and maybe a free UG  or cheap purchase.    

No- I’m booked in “Premium +” (21J/L) which sort of resembles bizclass w/o the lay flat seats. There’s 3 or 4 rows of this 2-3-2 configuration between coach and bizclass.

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No- I’m booked in “Premium +” (21J/L) which sort of resembles bizclass w/o the lay flat seats. There’s 3 or 4 rows of this 2-3-2 configuration between coach and bizclass.

Oh I know the seats and plane....     I got it as Econ +.