Aruba and Curacao --- what to do that ISN'T a beach?

22 hours ago, Cigar King said:

On Curacao here's a little outdoor cafe in the center of town.  Relaxing place to enjoy an Amstel Bright with a little ice in it.

Years ago I once got in trouble in Cozumel drinking "free" tequila shots while Sallie shopped. It was a rough night back on the ship.

We booked a private guide to take us hiking to the top of Mt Cristobal on Curacao.  That was amazing.  Another time we did the Hato cave, also cool.  There is a section downtown that is the focus of local revitalization and has some very cool murals painted on the walls of houses and businesses as well as on stair cases and street lamps.  You can just walk around and get some very cool photos.

In Aruba, we have also checked out the small anthropology museum, which was interesting, and done horseback riding on the beach with Gold Mine ranch.  There is a glass blowing cooperative on the island that on some days offers glass blowing classes, but we've never been there on the right day of the week (hoping for next time!) but that might be a fun thing to look into as well.

Wow....this gives me lots of great ideas to check out!! Also, to whomever asked about the golf carts on Bonaire......just look up Bonaire Cruisers.  I emailed about reserving one and they were back to me the next day.....I've read lots of good reviews and watched some Youtube videos so you should be able to find them easily.    Thanks everyone!!

• Thanks 1

Took this one while staying in Aruba.  BLAST!  However it did take a couple of weeks for the red dirt to disappear from my hair.  Clothes took around 5 trips through washer once we got home.  DePalm runs most of the tour buses and a ton of tours around the island both from the port and hotels.  This tour actually runs from a lot about 4 blocks north of the pier on a back street.  On a map it is just behind the Trinx Aruba bike shop across from the Port Authority building.  Five minute walk from port entrance.

https://depalm.com/utv-tours/andicuri-utv-adventure/

If it is offered through the cruise line you must book through them.  DePalm usually sells tours right on the pier but easier to book through web site.

We hit over 50mph on the dry dirt flats near the lighthouse.  And did a ton of rock crawling.  Automatic transmission UTVs.

There is a maritime museum just up the hill from the Canal where the boats used to sell produce next to downtown Willemstad. And I second the synagogue tour, it was neat. There is a semisubmersible tour that includes a trip to the distillery that we did last month.

Aruba Trikes is a must, but they changed the tour from going to the Park with the giant rock to going to the glassblowing place.

A snorkeling excursion in Aruba is always good, too. 

On 2/22/2022 at 6:35 AM, Sobro said:

Aruba Trikes is a must, but they changed the tour from going to the Park with the giant rock to going to the glassblowing place.

Forgot about glass blower - we also stopped there on the UTV tour.  The owner used to work for Murano and does some incredible work.  He also is the bartender.  In our case he delivered the item to our hotel but it was packed so well it could have survived the UTV ride.

DSCN1980.JPG

DSCN2007.JPG

We had booked Trikes Aruba but something went wrong that day we were there and they did not run.

So we opted not to go back to the ship and just started a nice lazy 2 hour walk at the numerous shops near the dock.  After awhile we stopped for 2 more hours for drinks at one of those open air bars.  We were there in the middle afternoon, hardly nobody else there so we talked with the staff a long while. DW still says it was one of our best days on an island.

On Curaçao we did an island tour booked through the ship that included a cave, liquor distillery and historic government building.  This tour I would give a 6 out of 10 generally, but we needed an easy day (Try to stay out of the sun some, drive me around and show me interesting stuff or history).  So for our condition that day it was a 9 out of 10.  I’m just NOT a cave person, and should have stayed on the bus for that part.

Eddie

• Like 1