Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 08

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, February 21 and Sunday, February 27.

What went on in your life this week that you want to share as a photo?

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Sort of old and new yesterday (Saturday) at Gem Pier, Williamstown.

On the left is the HMAS Castlemaine. A WWII corvette/mine sweeper. Now operates as a museum.

On the right is the masts and rigging of the Enterprize. A recreation of a 19th century sailing ship. Comes here every few weeks and people can take Bay cruises.

In the background are some of the building in Melbourne, and f yacht masts.

970859710_OldandNew.thumb.jpg.dae0f92113db8d8bc4b748d77a702638.jpg

• Like 4

On Sunday, we took a drive up the Victor Valley region of California’s high desert to do something somewhat uncommon for us. We attended a church service and didn’t need to ask where the bride or groom’s family was seated. The sermon was uplifting. The newly arrived Pastor Dan used enthusiasm, relevant passages from the Bible and humor to deliver his message. It was worth the drive to see this new pastor captivate the congregation, inspire them and lift their spirits with his words and obvious passion. We were very impressed and from overheard comments in the lobby afterwards, we weren’t alone. Believe me when I say (with none of my usual implied humor) that we would have been impressed even if Pastor Dan wasn’t our son. 

Oasis for the Soul

1739299449_2022-08OasisfortheSoul.thumb.jpg.cc15c9d77ea92c360432401b14b78070.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

And where did I go this past weekend?  Well to the wetlands, of course!  Here are the latest critters as winter transitions into Spring and nesting activity for the birds goes way up...

A ruby-throated hummingbird:

original.jpg

Look closely in the eye reflection, and you can see the boardwalk railing, and me standing on it taking this closeup photo of this yellow-crowned night heron about 8 feet away:

original.jpg

Purple gallinules, working hard to make more purple gallinules:

original.jpg

It's that time of year - many of the wading birds either have nests, or are just starting them - the great egrets are busy building up theirs, hauling building material all day long:

original.jpg

A male common yellowthroat hanging out down by the water:

original.jpg

When they're not flying around hauling lumber for the nest building, the great egret males are busy displaying like peacocks to attract a mate:

original.jpg

Not to be left out of the building frenzy, the smaller cattle egrets are also building their nests:

original.jpg

But as usual, the giant wood storks are the heavy-haul champions, flying home with parts of trees and whole limbs to build their beefy nests:

original.jpg

original.jpg

As sunset comes on, and I leave the wetlands, the great egrets are still busy flying back and forth for more and more branches:
original.jpg

• Like 6