Northeast to Northwest passage??

gogo65

We are booked on the Northeast passage cruise in August across the top of Russia (Tromso to Nome) unless current world events improve it is looking unlikely to go (understand 6 months is a long time). 
Looking on the bright side I wonder if Ponant would consider a complete itinerary change and do a north west passage instead.
It means the ship still arrives in Nome in time, we have 24 days which is ample time, and we don’t have to be disappointed about another cancellation!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Just be aware the trip is subject to ice conditions.  NW passage in either 2019 or 2018 was cancelled (or rather, changed to something like a circum-Greenland with no refunds) because of such.

That wouldn’t bother me to much, as I’m looking at Greenland options for Plan B, we’ve done Svalbard before so wouldn’t be keen for that. 
Assume it’s the same for the north east passage based on ice conditions, just an interesting thought as they need to get the ship there anyway and may be (or maybe not) an option that works.

Seems like most companies are either pulling out of Russia for the season or advising clients they are looking at options for changes to itineraries.

Hopefully Ponant will also advise clients shortly what their plans are.

• 2 weeks later...

So a little frustrated,

seems that all major cruise lines have responded to the Ukraine crisis, and provided details on their plans but nothing from Ponant.

I have a pending post that hasn’t been approved on the book of faces…

Has anyone heard Ponant’s stance on cruises to Russia?

2 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

on the book of faces…

There's no need to be 'cute.'  Facebook is not 'it who shall not be named.'  It is ok to refer to Facebook pages hosted by the cruise lines or individuals' facebook pages.  What are banned are the ones that siphon off roll calls from CC.  But we spot all the euphemisms.  If you're not sure, post it openly and then  Report you own post and ask for a review – then you won't get a dreaded Guideline Reminder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There's no need to be 'cute.'  Facebook is not 'it who shall not be named.'  It is ok to refer to Facebook pages hosted by the cruise lines or individuals' facebook pages.  What are banned are the ones that siphon off roll calls from CC.  But we spot all the euphemisms.  If you're not sure, post it openly and then  Report you own post and ask for a review – then you won't get a dreaded Guideline Reminder.

Oh Jazzbeau I feel like I’m in the principles office 😂😂

thanks for clarifying for me, I will in future do as suggested.

I never want to do the wrong thing so I’m glad that mentioning Facebook is ok when In these type of circumstances (yes it was the Ponant page that I still have my pending request)

thanks Gabrielle 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gogo65 said:

So a little frustrated,

seems that all major cruise lines have responded to the Ukraine crisis, and provided details on their plans but nothing from Ponant.

I have a pending post that hasn’t been approved on the book of faces…

Has anyone heard Ponant’s stance on cruises to Russia?

Lindblad is also leaving guests hanging. I've been trying to take a Russian Far East trip since 2020. They posted a vague (we're aware and looking into things) message on 2/24 and nothing since. 

1 hour ago, brngckn said:

Lindblad is also leaving guests hanging. I've been trying to take a Russian Far East trip since 2020. They posted a vague (we're aware and looking into things) message on 2/24 and nothing since. 

It’s frustrating isn’t it.

We have flights booked (which could be cancelled/changed), and have looked at other options.

Similar to your cruise, there really is no option to just exchange a port or two.

Ponant haven’t even published a vague statement. 
When is your cruise?

2 hours ago, gogo65 said:

It’s frustrating isn’t it.

We have flights booked (which could be cancelled/changed), and have looked at other options.

Similar to your cruise, there really is no option to just exchange a port or two.

Ponant haven’t even published a vague statement. 
When is your cruise?

Very frustrating indeed. We were supposed to depart 8/7/22. Aside from departure/arrival in Nome, our cruise was pretty much all in Russia. Guess we have to wait out their decision processes. 

On 3/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry to derail the thread, but Facebook links to Ponant’s official pages are edited or deleted. If this is automated, maybe the three official sites could be added as exceptions. 

1 hour ago, AussieBoyTX said:

Sorry to derail the thread, but Facebook links to Ponant’s official pages are edited or deleted. If this is automated, maybe the three official sites could be added as exceptions.

Above my pay grade.  All I know is what I was told when I enquired which Facebook references to delete.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, brngckn said:

Guess we have to wait out their decision processes. 

Updating to say that my Lindblad Russia trip was officially cancelled this week. I called to request a refund as none of the replacement options were of interest. I will have a check in 4-6 weeks. Hoping you also achieve a successful resolution with Ponant.

11 hours ago, brngckn said:

Updating to say that my Lindblad Russia trip was officially cancelled this week. I called to request a refund as none of the replacement options were of interest. I will have a check in 4-6 weeks. Hoping you also achieve a successful resolution with Ponant.

Well that’s good to hear and understand about getting the refund.

Unfortunately despite Ponant saying on their webpage that any Russian Arctic cruises are suspended, Ponant Australia is saying that it is still going ahead.

At this time we have a one way flight to London and a one way flight from Seattle, so we either cancel these (booked on points in business class) or we work with the dates we have.

I’m currently looking at a non expedition cruise with SS from Reykjavik to NYC, via Greenland and Canada, at least it works with our dates and we get to go to places we haven’t been, the other option is a similar Ponant cruise Reykjavik to Toronto.

If they cancel, we will likely carry over all our discounts and book 2024 Ross Sea/Antarctica cruise (which we had cancelled this year) and just book the SS cruise.

My hope of them changing to the NW passage is unlikely…

The Ponant site (FR and US) shows only 2 polar transits this year (and next) ending in Nome.  Le Boreal on the NE passage in late August and Le Commandant Charcot (N passage) in early September.  Nothing showing for early August so maybe the date's been shifted?  I'd keep the bookign personally and hope it'll be changed to a N passage transit hopefully at no extra cost.

9 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

The Ponant site (FR and US) shows only 2 polar transits this year (and next) ending in Nome.  Le Boreal on the NE passage in late August and Le Commandant Charcot (N passage) in early September.  Nothing showing for early August so maybe the date's been shifted?  I'd keep the bookign personally and hope it'll be changed to a N passage transit hopefully at no extra cost.

We are booked on Le Boreal, NE passage, 27th August (we are spending a few weeks in the UK  prior to the cruise)

Ponant have a statement saying that all Russian Cruises are suspended but Ponant have said it’s still going ahead. So if they want to get their passengers to Nome a NW passage is the only way to go…

Contemplating this one with the hope that one can get a NW passage cruise for half price.  Seems like Ponant won't do that and will either offer the new cruise at a 10-15% discount (so a NW passage will cost $34-36k instead of $40k) or refund the cruise/deposit in form of credit.

On 3/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, cruising cockroach said:

Contemplating this one with the hope that one can get a NW passage cruise for half price.  Seems like Ponant won't do that and will either offer the new cruise at a 10-15% discount (so a NW passage will cost $34-36k instead of $40k) or refund the cruise/deposit in form of credit.

CC, we still haven’t heard what is happening with our cruise despite Ponant putting the announcement up 3 weeks ago.

I have noted that the Baltic cruises have new itineraries with St Petersburg removed.

One online Australian TA has this cruise advertised with the NE itinerary but a NW passage map, not sure if that indicates something may change or whether it just always been incorrect.

I suspect if it changes to NW there will be a lot of people jumping on board quickly.

I do have faith that Ponant will honour our fare if it changes and I suspect some may ask for a refund if they’ve previously done a NW passage before.

Maybe it’s worth having a hold on a cabin and hoping? They allow a complimentary hold for 7 days, which they would probably extend if you advised them you were concerned about changes to the itinerary.

I’ve  been watching the cruise after which is a Nome-Nome to Russia, which also won’t go ahead but curious if they will change to an Alaskan cruise?

16 hours ago, gogo65 said:

I suspect if it changes to NW there will be a lot of people jumping on board quickly.

I do have faith that Ponant will honour our fare if it changes and I suspect some may ask for a refund if they’ve previously done a NW passage before.

Maybe it’s worth having a hold on a cabin and hoping? They allow a complimentary hold for 7 days, which they would probably extend if you advised them you were concerned about changes to the itinerary.

Thanks.  I might try this tomorrow if not too late.  I'm not very hopeful about Ponant offering the new NW passage itinerary at the same price as a NE passage , or even a significant discount given what I have read about Ponant (I like the onboard product, not so much the reported dealings with the sales office).  Per my earlier post (far) above, the NW passage cruise in 2018 or '19 was cancelled due to ice conditions and the cruise became a Greenland one, reportedly without any refunds!, 

1 hour ago, cruising cockroach said:

Thanks.  I might try this tomorrow if not too late.  I'm not very hopeful about Ponant offering the new NW passage itinerary at the same price as a NE passage , or even a significant discount given what I have read about Ponant (I like the onboard product, not so much the reported dealings with the sales office).  Per my earlier post (far) above, the NW passage cruise in 2018 or '19 was cancelled due to ice conditions and the cruise became a Greenland one, reportedly without any refunds!, 

Interestingly we have felt Ponant have been very reasonable, we originally had a 2019 Reykjavik to Quebec cancelled 8 months out due to a charter, they covered every single cost involved, gave us a 20% discount on any cruise, €600 OBC.

we have been able to transfer this to firstly our Kimberley cruise that was cancelled, then our January Antarctica cruise that was cancelled and now it’s on the  NE passage. 
they have stacked the discounts (including all the cancelled cruises over Covid), and we have therefore got this cruise for a very reasonable price (cheap!).

I just called Ponant and asked them about the Russian cruise leaving Nome 20th September thinking they will change to an Alaskan cruise, they advised they are still working on this and the NE passage itineraries and they should be updated this week. They have changed all the Baltic cruises already.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I will contact a TA to put a hold tomorrow and see what happens.  Maybe some people hve better luck.  Funny that a NW passage cruise will be mostly domestic for my wife and  except for the start and the end.

If you can find it online, this 8 year old series called Polar Sea narrated by Gordon Pinsent is inspiration.  It also features a Ponant ship traversing the NW passage,

The Polar Sea: An Amazing Odyssey | TVO.org

There are also at least 2 French travel documentaries following a Ponant ship commanded by Etienne Garcia (one of the captains of Le Commandant Charcot) going through the NW passage.

Edited by cruising cockroach

4 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Also if you registered for the online event last week there is an additional  5% discount using the code Roadshow (which may work even if you didn’t?)

Wasn't advertised in my hemisphere.  I registered for one months back but it started too early.

4 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Wasn't advertised in my hemisphere.  I registered for one months back but it started too early.

Oh thats a shame, as I did one a couple of months ago when booking the NE and they added the 5% to the booking immediately.

16 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Thank you.  I will contact a TA to put a hold tomorrow and see what happens.  Maybe some people hve better luck.  Funny that a NW passage cruise will be mostly domestic for my wife and  except for the start and the end.

If you can find it online, this 8 year old series called Polar Sea narrated by Gordon Pinsent is inspiration.  It also features a Ponant ship traversing the NW passage,

The Polar Sea: An Amazing Odyssey | TVO.org

There are also at least 2 French travel documentaries following a Ponant ship commanded by Etienne Garcia (one of the captains of Le Commandant Charcot) going through the NW passage.

Thanks Ill check them out, Ive been doing a few google searches looking for some videos, and haven’t come across very much