Take shore excursion but go off on your own

Cruzin Terri

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks, Jazzbeau. 

There are a number of reasons in play here. I walk slowly due to a hip injury.  That is why public transportation is not an option.  Because of this I also find it difficult to keep up with a group.

Putting those things aside.  My real dislike for ship tours is that I have to see what they want me to see and not what I want to see.

On the river cruise, whenever we separated from the group, we were always punctual and at the assigned place and time way before the group. It would be the same here. We are responsible people

Terri

Nobody says you have to take a ship's tour. I pass up plenty of tours, and some because the activity level is more than I or my mother can manage.  Then arrange for transportation some other way. There are numerous ways to do so, and since you are an experienced traveler, you know what they are. 

Also, did you ever consider you may be depriving someone a seat on the tour that actually wants to go? (Tours do fill up).

No matter how you look at it, this is a self-centered and foolish thing to do.

Edited by Guppy99

3 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

No, it's not.  They want to go to that location and see the sites.  That they choose to forego the formal tour and see it at their own pace does not make it self-centered or foolish.  The OP did not ask for anyone's pseudo-legal opinions nor moral judgements.  She just asked if people had seen it done before and if it was a problem.  Based on the responses, IRL people have seen it done and, for the most part, it has not been a problem.

Why you are so invested in delineating the potential legal ramifications and liabilities of Oceania and the tour companies is beyond me, as these aspects have nothing to do with the original question.  I am sure that Oceania and the tour companies have legal staffs to protect their interests, without the assistance of your lay opinions.

BTW, by any chance, were you a hall monitor in junior high school?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Nobody says you have to take a ship's tour. I pass up plenty of tours, and some because the activity level is more than I or my mother can manage.  Then arrange for transportation some other way. There are numerous ways to do so, and since you are an experienced traveler, you know what they are. 

Also, did you ever consider you may be depriving someone a seat on the tour that actually wants to go? (Tours do fill up).

Who are you to pass moral judgment on me? 

I never said I was going to do this.  I only asked if anyone ever did this.  

“Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cliff-FLL said:

No, it's not.  They want to go to that location and see the sites.  That they choose to forego the formal tour and see it at their own pace does not make it self-centered or foolish.  The OP did not ask for anyone's pseudo-legal opinions nor moral judgements.  She just asked if people had seen it done before and if it was a problem.  Based on the responses, IRL people have seen it done and, for the most part, it has not been a problem.

Why you are so invested in delineating the potential legal ramifications and liabilities of Oceania and the tour companies is beyond me, as these aspects have nothing to do with the original question.  I am sure that Oceania and the tour companies have legal staffs to protect their interests, without the assistance of your lay opinions.

BTW, by any chance, were you a hall monitor in junior high school?

No. I'm an attorney. Are you disparaging people who work in support capacities at our schools? How very botted and elitist of you.  

53 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Who are you to pass moral judgment on me? 

I never said I was going to do this.  I only asked if anyone ever did this.  

“Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”

Nonsense. Your subsequent posts state that you've done this numerous times. Therefore, it's not simply an idea you had and are looking for feedback. Your only interest is in hearing support comments or perhaps statements about how clever you are to have thought of such a scheme. And your quote is irrelevant.

12 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Nonsense. Your subsequent posts state that you've done this numerous times. Therefore, it's not simply an idea you had and are looking for feedback. Your only interest is in hearing support comments or perhaps statements about how clever you are to have thought of such a scheme. And your quote is irrelevant.

You are out of line.  I have never done this on a ocean cruise because I don’t take ship tours on them. I have only done this on River cruises where it has been allowed. So you are wrong about my doing this numerous times.  Go re read my posts.  There is no where in my posts where I say this,.

i did not ask the question for support, but for feedback.  Not for moral judgment.  My quote is very relevant., You have no right to question my character without knowing me.

Edited by Cruzin Terri

53 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

No. I'm an attorney. Are you disparaging people who work in support capacities at our schools? How very botted and elitist of you.  

In my day 'hall monitors' were not paid school employees – they were teacher's pets who were given power over other students and turned the school into 'Lord of the Flies.'

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

And, herein lies yet another central point regarding ship group tours.

Folks with “mobility concerns” are asked to give careful consideration to choosing tours.

Here is the often repeated caution associated with many many (many) Oceania tiur descriptions:

“Guests with mobility concerns are cautioned to evaluate their personal level of ability before participating.”

Responsible folks don’t sign up for tours on which they may slow down a group - even if it’s only to get a ride to a remote location. As aforementioned, leaving a group can have all sorts of unforeseen circumstances that impact the rest of the group regardless of a “wanderer’s” past experiences and current promises.

Enough said.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Just because you can, does not mean you should. My last comment on the subject. Clearly you do as you please.

You stated the above in #39, yet you continue to respond.  Can we consider the statement to be a contract and sue you for specific performance?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks 1