Time it takes to clear customs in LAX from PPT

Verokaren

I am trying to calculate how much time I should schedule between connecting flights in LAX arriving from PPT.  Can anyone share their experiences clearing customs in LAX?  Thanks so much!  We do have the Global Entry cards. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Verokaren said:

I am trying to calculate how much time I should schedule between connecting flights in LAX arriving from PPT.  Can anyone share their experiences clearing customs in LAX?  Thanks so much!  We do have the Global Entry cards. 

It was virtually instantaneous for us. There were no lines at the Global Entry kiosks.

This was at a time of day...about 9 or 10am when there were numerous flights arriving from seemingly every city in Asia and the regular customs and immigration lines were very long.

It was about four years ago so I can't vouch for the current situation.

On Tuesday 2/22, we arrived in LAX on the Air Tahiti Nui flight, at 7:45 a.m. ATN parked at the farthest away possible gate (presumably to save money). The close-in gates were all empty.

We had a very long walk from the gate, down the escalator, through a tunnel under the tarmac, back up an escalator into the main international terminal. This is a good workout after sitting 8 hours.

Once in the passport control area, we were done as soon as we could scan our passport at the Global Entry lane. The place was almost deserted. 

Then we went to the baggage hall, and waited for our luggage to appear. That took another 10 minutes. Then it was out to the curb to walk to terminal 6 for our Alaska Airlines flight, on separate tickets. We arrived with our luggage at the Alaska check-in around 8:40 am.

If you are ticketed through on one reservation, you can drop your bags in the international terminal. Otherwise, you have to haul your baggage to your next airline check in. They have free luggage carts for this.

FYI - Per Expertflyer, the minimum legal connection at LAX for international to domestic is 2 hours. I think this means it is the shortest connection you can book on one reservation.

Edited by Mercruiser

Thank you, Merc!  I'm thinking about changing my flight to the French Bee. . . . I now have to get to SFO once we arrive in the states to meet up with our daughter.  I hate to give up our nice seats on the Delta flight home, though :(. 

Bee forwarned

French Bee has some of the densest coach seating anywhere.

Seat Specs:
Premium: Pitch 36, Width 18
Economy: Pitch 32, Width 16-17

”French Bee’s incredibly dense 3-4-3 coach, where seats are just 16 inches wide,”

I would only consider them if you buy premium economy. 

Compare to Air Tahiti Nui

Poerava Business: Pitch 60, Width 20.4

Moana Premium: Pitch 36-38, Width 20.4

Moana Economy: Pitch 31-34, Width 17

Thank you, Petoonya!!  I have my fingers crossed it will all work out this time. Lots of hoops to jump through. I can't wait to be in that water again swimming with those beautiful fish!  I always appreciate your advice and support. 

karen