1st of March Encore Canaries Celebration 🍾 🥂

jrmuk

About the recent statement that COVID is transmittable only by air and not by surface touching, are we certain this is accurate information? If someone who has  COVID without knowing it coughs into his or her hand and then touches a serving utensil at a buffet, anyone, I thought, could still get it when I pick up the serving utensil. Like a common cold or the Norovirus. Or that person coughs onto a plate in the stack  waiting to be picked up. Is this not true? Maybe it is mostly transmittable by air, but not exclusively?

On that old dog the TK premium list, what I find offensive is the high pressure tactics Keller has obviously instructed his waiting staff in that dining room only, for his profit—to present that wine list first—with no mention to diners that the regular SB "fine wines" are also available. That's an attempted upcharge and IMHU an unethical business practice. Transparency rules should apply there too. It is like SB telling customers in a brochure or on line they have V5 cabins for sale without also mentioning they have category V1 -4 also available. You don't have to ask for that, do you? . 

40 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

About the recent statement that COVID is transmittable only by air and not by surface touching, are we certain this is accurate information? If someone who has  COVID without knowing it coughs into his or her hand and then touches a serving utensil at a buffet, anyone, I thought, could still get it when I pick up the serving utensil. Like a common cold or the Norovirus. Or that person coughs onto a plate in the stack  waiting to be picked up. Is this not true? Maybe it is mostly transmittable by air, but not exclusively?

On that old dog the TK premium list, what I find offensive is the high pressure tactics Keller has obviously instructed his waiting staff in that dining room only, for his profit—to present that wine list first—with no mention to diners that the regular SB "fine wines" are also available. That's an attempted upcharge and IMHU an unethical business practice. Transparency rules should apply there too. It is like SB telling customers in a brochure or on line they have V5 cabins for sale without also mentioning they have category V1 -4 also available. You don't have to ask for that, do you? . 

I think the latest varian stays longer on surfaces than the previous ones. 

On 3/17/2022 at 4:25 PM, brittany12 said:

If someone who has  COVID without knowing it coughs into his or her hand and then touches a serving utensil at a buffet, anyone, I thought, could still get it when I pick up the serving utensil. Like a common cold or the Norovirus. Or that person coughs onto a plate in the stack  waiting to be picked up. Is this not true? Maybe it is mostly transmittable by air, but not exclusively?

True and true. It's mostly transmitted by airborne particles, but if someone coughs onto their hand, grabs a serving spoon or tongs, then then next person touches the same utensil, and then touches their hands into their mouth, it can be transmitted that way — it's just not a primary way Covid is being transmitted.

On 3/17/2022 at 5:07 PM, Emdee said:

I think the latest variant stays longer on surfaces than the previous ones. 

Also true, according to two studies which came out quite recently. It's possible this is part of why Omicron spread so quickly and broadly. 

If one wants to be extra safe on a ship, you could go through the buffet line, put your plate on your table, and return to one of the sanitizing stations at the front or rear of the restaurant to sanitize your hands before putting them in/near your mouth.

3 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

True and true. It's mostly transmitted by airborne particles, but if someone coughs onto their hand, grabs a serving spoon or tongs, then then next person touches the same utensil, and then touches their hands into their mouth, it can be transmitted that way — it's just not a primary way Covid is being transmitted.

Also true, according to two studies which came out quite recently. It's possible this is part of why Omicron spread so quickly and broadly. 

If one wants to be extra safe on a ship, you could go through the buffet line, put your plate on your table, and return to one of the sanitizing stations at the front or rear of the restaurant to sanitize your hands before putting them in/near your mouth.

Or use the small paper napkins available as you walk into Colonnade.We used our own sanitiser too.

To see people with a chesty cough, cough into a napkin or blow their nose into one, was revolting.I did see worse one day.The wait staff have to pick these up.