Upcoming Boxing Day Cruise..... from Ft Lauderdale

Hello.....

It's been a few years since I last been on a cruise (about 5 or 6) and only been on the Oasis, Allure, Anthem and Liberty. I'm going to be on the Vision of the Seas. Not really daunted by it, just looking forward to seeing some of the ports I haven't seen before. I found the Roll Call, and also have found the Roll Call. This Cruise will take me to Diamond.

In the past, I attended the Meet & Mingle. I understand this has been halted for the time being (which is understandable). I also seen a thread about bidding for an upgrade.... which is new. I am used to doing independant cruises, but with the current pandemic, I am nervous about booking non-official excursions. I need to find out a lot of things about the ship before I go on board. Not overly worried.... and am really looking forward to a much needed cruise.

Vision is more of an old-style ship.  Nice solarium indoor pool with a few good loungers in the shade (but not that many people seem to use that area).  Park Cafe is there, so you can get food and flavored water all the time.  Nice salad bar area at times.  As you noted, it sails to ports the larger ships can't.  This ship has less in the way of large-show entertainment.  A lot is done in the atrium, including a lot of performances by the crew rather than guest performers.  Crew is a lot more accessible than other ships and you will often see officers talking to the guests.  They treat their guests as family.

We take maybe half of our tours independent.  Since August some islands have allowed independent, some have not.  Changes daily.  In November we had both ship and independent booked in three ports and had to cancel independent in two due to current covid restrictions and didn't know what was allowed until we got onboard.  Most islands still want masks in transportation (as of February) and indoors.  Locals tend to wear masks even outdoors (required some places).  They are ALL very glad to see tourists!

The RoyalUp program allows you to bid on higher level cabins.  You get all the benefits of the new cabin but not any additional points.  From your post it sounds like you sail solo.  Note that all bids are charged twice, so a solo (or three people in a cabin) pay two bids.  Works well to try a higher class cabin than you could normally afford, assuming you win the bid.  We bid close to minimum so often get outbid.  Other folks have found that just upgrading their cabin is cheaper than bidding.

This is actually an excellent time to cruise.  Fewer passengers and ports that are crying for business.  Shop prices are fantastic.  Not as many tours available yet but the operators that are running are doing a great job.  Be prepared for tours to be kept apart from other tours/ships.  They are being cautious in their opening.

It is reported that the Mix and Mingles are happening again now.  We signed up for ours and got confirmation we have the required number of individuals now to hold a Mix and Mingle.  We sail on March 12th, so I will know for sure in 2 weeks time if the Mix and Mingles are happening on the Odyssey