Radiance -on ship now 3/2/22 any questions?

We are in Ensenada, using my internet thru hot spot on my cell thru Verizon. Mexico no extra charge with Verizon. 

I will type more later have all menus and first two days fun times.

#1- BRING A COOLER - see website of Carnival for size limit. The refrigerator in room is a glorified “cooler” but our cups of ice in it melted as a test. I would call it a bread box cube. There is only a vented fan, no longer has a condenser type. We brought three hydroflask bottles and put ice in them and asked attendant for an ice bucket. 

- the ice stations on lido best ones are the sides by iguana and guys. Lido Buffet one often slow or empty. 

Same goes for ice cream stations, the best one is a by stairs across from Bok Bok chicken (Shaq’s chicken.) It is less melty as gets less traffic.

#2- 1100 passengers this week, they said a lot more next week. Walking around especially at night feels like last night of cruise, eerily quiet. 

#3 Embarkation security pretty lax. we carried our hydroflasks full of water and they took them and walked around handed back. I had put an empty plastic water bottle in outside to fill later, “no plastic on board miss …ok but missed one in bag already.

I have always used Container store nalgeen travel bottles for liquids as never leak. I had a whole one of Dimetapp as moisture can cause me to cough. But others were full of “special” suntan creme from the Irish ☘️. I did wrap all cosmetics and items like that in a vacuum bag - just in case, and makes it annoying at security if have to open. None of bags were opened. 

Same with getting back on from Catalina- just handed hydroflasks back. 
#4 Ensenada today just announced to get off & on need Gov ID, Carnival room key & VACCINATION CARD. 

I happen to find for $1.50 a vinyl holder meant for vax card at Walgreens at register. Can attach vinyl holder to lanyard if wish. I am just zipping all mine in for security in bag as have seen lanyards on cruises in wind flip off people. 

Going to breakfast now- will post later, or look for any questions here.

Menus from first day: 

115069FC-1496-4A14-ABAB-D4E56C4660EE.png

A27E87BD-E34A-4A22-ADA1-125613A0E7B4.png

95D3D589-55A7-43D8-A7A1-EA0C352DB28A.png

2FEBF2AB-2B41-4BD7-A5C8-90846386F08F.png

Edited by Buffettfan 225
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Is the seafood tower available still for an up-charge?

How do you like the makeover and condition of the ship & cabins? Do cabins feel new?

Any odd smells?

For the vaccine card (to get off and on) and ID, will they take the digital version from health authorities?  (wouldn't want to take our actual cards and risk losing them)

How has the food been in the MDR/brunch?

I'd also love to see the wine selections for the bottle only purchases in the MDR and steakhouse. 

Appreciate your time and hope you're enjoying your cruise!   

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Does the ship look and feel new or just slightly refreshed?

The ship felt new to us.  Most common areas have new flooring, lighting, furniture and new amenities like the Heroes Bar, Seafood Shack and others are included.  We thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to sailing on her in Sept. again.

Edited by CrzRani
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What is the weather like both at the ports (Catalina and Ensenada) and outside on the ship around the pool area? I want to know if we will be okay wearing shorts and no jackets when we are out. We sail next week 3/7

5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Is the seafood tower available still for an up-charge?

How do you like the makeover and condition of the ship & cabins? Do cabins feel new?

Any odd smells?

For the vaccine card (to get off and on) and ID, will they take the digital version from health authorities?  (wouldn't want to take our actual cards and risk losing them)

How has the food been in the MDR/brunch?

I'd also love to see the wine selections for the bottle only purchases in the MDR and steakhouse. 

Appreciate your time and hope you're enjoying your cruise!   

-Yes seafood has a window with up charge- will get a sign photo later. Dining room menu also has $30 up charge if like lobster or steak from steakhouse. 

-The makeover is a nice bright feel to ship. Lots of mid century modern, blonde woods, yellow, aqua. Cabin- bright lighting, seems to be one light circuit by door or above bed headboard- no dimmers or lamps. The two bed lights above are connected to main, & shine upward. They also have a reading lamp switch on bed lamp- it is medium bright. 
I do like the closet door base have a darkness sensor- like an airplane went on when got up for bathroom. It went dark too fast & needed the pen flashlight I use and keep on my nightstand. Also a balcony light, and mirror in cabin rim lights up. 
Room temp is digitally controlled- 4 red dots, white dot, 4blue dots. We are usually setting on one blue dot. 
The sink in bathroom-do not like faucet design ours blasts water splashing so back up if dressed for dinner. Shower has a removable handle head- note it has black push buttons so if no water on- push one of those to turn on. We used to use spa showers, my spouse said only one stall  now! 
outlets- 2 - 120v side by side &  2 USB ports. 
The Horrible- refrigerator is completely useless. We put cans of coke in it- no chill at all. We also poured coke into a cup with ice and ice must be less than solid and coke tasted funny. Now just putting cans in ice bucket and using a straw. Yes- I brought paper straws but only use in room. No straws on board ship. 
The inconvenient- sugar only in pouring container at coffee stations. Have to pour there, or into a ramekin which are not usually found, or another plastic cup. They do have packets though if pink & blue. Did not see Splenda either. Glad I brought my own sugar packets, salt & pepper packets in ziploc in my shoulder crossover. 
Also the serenity deck does not go around front anymore snd can’t walk that way. 
Best find: 

on embarkation day & port is Guy Fieri BBQ- all food was meh to me except pulled pork, but have used the umbrellas picnic tables to eat at when nice. Quiet area. But guard your food from seagulls- if you get up they swoop in & it is a good melee. 
- Vaccinstion cards- was told only accepted originals. We brought ours in a vinyl card case I found at Walgreens. 
only time needed was at embarkation, after that stored them. Although today was told needed to reboard in Ensenada. They didn’t but took with us just in case. More on Ensenada later. 

so I will follow up with MDR wine bottle selection tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DizNaddy said:

What is the weather like both at the ports (Catalina and Ensenada) and outside on the ship around the pool area? I want to know if we will be okay wearing shorts and no jackets when we are out. We sail next week 3/7

I used Wunderground app for each port using ten days out. Pretty accurate. Long Beach was 73 when boarded and wore jeans, tshirt and jacket to not have to pack it. That afternoon wore shorts up on deck as was fully sunny. At night it gets quite briskish. I wear jeans, tshirt and an indoor fleece jacket. If I were by pool a thick outdoor fleece and towel at least to watch a movie I think it was 51. Which coincidentally was pool water temp. They pump in pool water from ocean, filter it. So it is nippy. I have seen people in hot tubs but people said not as hot as they recall in past. 

In case wondering- Feast or first elegant night was Tues and mostly black dress slacks, polos, even a few with dark jeans and a shirt. Only saw a few that were families with kids that were really dressed up and we’re taking g photos. Then a few um…um… very dressed but more appropriate for a nightclub with spandex and midriffs. So go with what one likes and ignore others if you fit within tiles of no hat, cut offs, shorts,flip flops. 

15 minutes ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

-Yes seafood has a window with up charge- will get a sign photo later. Dining room menu also has $30 up charge if like lobster or steak from steakhouse. 

-The makeover is a nice bright feel to ship. Lots of mid century modern, blonde woods, yellow, aqua. Cabin- bright lighting, seems to be one light circuit by door or above bed headboard- no dimmers or lamps. The two bed lights above are connected to main, & shine upward. They also have a reading lamp switch on bed lamp- it is medium bright. 
I do like the closet door base have a darkness sensor- like an airplane went on when got up for bathroom. It went dark too fast & needed the pen flashlight I use and keep on my nightstand. Also a balcony light, and mirror in cabin rim lights up. 
Room temp is digitally controlled- 4 red dots, white dot, 4blue dots. We are usually setting on one blue dot. 
The sink in bathroom-do not like faucet design ours blasts water splashing so back up if dressed for dinner. Shower has a removable handle head- note it has black push buttons so if no water on- push one of those to turn on. We used to use spa showers, my spouse said only one stall  now! 
outlets- 2 - 120v side by side &  2 USB ports. 
The Horrible- refrigerator is completely useless. We put cans of coke in it- no chill at all. We also poured coke into a cup with ice and ice must be less than solid and coke tasted funny. Now just putting cans in ice bucket and using a straw. Yes- I brought paper straws but only use in room. No straws on board ship. 
The inconvenient- sugar only in pouring container at coffee stations. Have to pour there, or into a ramekin which are not usually found, or another plastic cup. They do have packets though if pink & blue. Did not see Splenda either. Glad I brought my own sugar packets, salt & pepper packets in ziploc in my shoulder crossover. 
Also the serenity deck does not go around front anymore snd can’t walk that way. 
Best find: 

on embarkation day & port is Guy Fieri BBQ- all food was meh to me except pulled pork, but have used the umbrellas picnic tables to eat at when nice. Quiet area. But guard your food from seagulls- if you get up they swoop in & it is a good melee. 
- Vaccinstion cards- was told only accepted originals. We brought ours in a vinyl card case I found at Walgreens. 
only time needed was at embarkation, after that stored them. Although today was told needed to reboard in Ensenada. They didn’t but took with us just in case. More on Ensenada later. 

so I will follow up with MDR wine bottle selection tonight. 

Here is wine selection menu- Make sure download Carnival Hub app on cell you will use it all the time from activities, schedule and menus. They have all menus for everywhere for each day moment you board, and log into Carnival Hub. You do not have to pay for wifi to use Hub app. The main dining room, you use your camera app shine on the QR code and then click on link and menu opens. They do have paper menus if need one. 

WINE LIST MAIN DINING ROOM: 

(it did not change at all each night)

1627B3A1-6E80-4D78-A412-141A3F6EB5AE.png

AE29F160-8622-438A-A554-D0C5E70F67A9.png

5927C8DC-BD2E-486F-A50C-331B5CB35DDD.png

5F303C3F-E145-4CD3-AC3D-AFC0DF2A8AF2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jamie717 said:

What time are the comedy shows for teens and families?  Will 6:00 pm dinner allow to see the shows? Thank you!

The Hub app will show you everything once on board, but the guest services still have a paper copy on the far right in a holder. They no longer put paper in rooms (cabins.) I have collected the paper ones just for this type of question! Here is Mon embarkation day & Tues Catalina. 

A0DDECB2-EC53-457B-ACE1-5EA6BAB4685A.jpeg

C26A46B5-360B-4C69-BEEC-63C1F4C153B7.jpeg

6AA42BE8-3A4F-42D6-A427-F8DD0735BFF4.jpeg

D8F15879-4239-42A9-AE22-BC04B19F973B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

Does it feel crowded? I heard the public areas are tighter.

It does not so far, but we are sailing with 1100! It feels like that last quiet night of a  cruise. 

LIDO: I would comment buffet area is more crowded in central area- the main foods are in center dual sided sometimes, and salads on side wall, and desserts. Had to wait for people going one way with a plate and I going the other- so tight there. 

MAIN SHOWROOM:

only two levels, the top floor took away. So for live shows I heard floor seats are best for view to see screen and special lights- however these seats are upright chairs. The upper seats are standard theater seats, but some have blocked view. 
COMEDY CLUB- seemed smaller when we walked thru, plus have some side seats people watch on TVs. 
LIDO area- the same. Like the new Shaq Bok Box - it is aft where old grill was- opposite side of pizza. The fries- (when hot) are shaped like long thin pickle slices thick. My husband liked chicken strips- for me too much of a kick or black pepper. 
GUYS PIG & Anchor- aft deck 10. love the seating area, to me the food meh…all seemed lukewarm. Seating has nice umbrella tables - just watch those birds! It is only open embarkation day & sea days minimal hours. 

Few photos of Radiance from 2/28/22

Here we go entering cabin for our four days. We walked up to ten to go look over now and noticed different colors of carpet design, wall murals. May look at other deck cabin hallway decor. 

Mini golf funnel shots

The new sports area ropes course

885B0348-B3AF-4755-9AE7-80DC25505884.jpeg

39C70CA7-6FF4-450C-8BE1-0569D9AB1274.jpeg

2B06D138-806E-403B-80A3-9732C60578F5.jpeg

CB1B915B-1060-441F-9755-5C2C55A72E24.jpeg

• Like 2

Radiance start, inside terminal photos

Stayed in Torrance Courtyard- very convenient- 4th Sun of month they have an antique/flea market free street faire.Less than six blocks from hotel, also walkable 1block was a King Hawaiian Restaurant and bakery. Within two miles was DelAmo mall & Galleria. Plus free parking and was 22 min car ride to pier on a 
1.woke up to weather and first glimpse of a whale tail. 

2.getting closer

3.Lounge where covid testing at pier being done

4..inside terminal waiting

before boarding If I recall 11am ish. Suites first, then A01

Unknown is yes you can go to cabin and drop off your carry ins- put under bed or in a closet. Then as courtesy leave until 1:30. Our keys were not in slot outside cabin yet. 
5.You must attend muster before 3pm- not sure what they were scanning without a room/door key. We went at 1:30, muster E was level 3 showroom. Took 20seconds as asked if knew how put on a life vest- yes. Scan ok. 

00395AC3-9CDC-45A5-AC49-89E77D6F653E.jpeg

BB0F7D7B-9195-42C8-A601-2ED7B4F66BBA.jpeg

03C051F3-705B-4E44-8B24-55E665020651.jpeg

B0B0A924-1999-464E-B5F3-C98A267D2CC0.jpeg

0CD20DA9-35FD-4312-89A5-AA2CBBA91AB8.jpeg

• Like 2

• Buffettfan 225 - Thank you for all the info.  We will be cruising on March 18th with two teens and this ship is new to us.  I love the picture of you against the funnel, I hope I remember to take one similar!
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the photos. We will be cruising on March 11th. My usual go to was Imagination or Inspiration (rest in peace-I'm a local) and looking forward to the Radiance! Just upgraded to a balcony from an interior for cheap. I was surprised.

Are people still wearing a mask? It makes me nervous to go maskless, but I will try.

• Like 2

Just now, SuperCatMom2 said:

Thank you for the photos. We will be cruising on March 11th. My usual go to was Imagination or Inspiration (rest in peace-I'm a local) and looking forward to the Radiance! Just upgraded to a balcony from an interior for cheap. I was surprised.

Are people still wearing a mask? It makes me nervous to go maskless, but I will try.

Masks are no longer REQUIRED but are completely optional, if it makes you nervous feel free to wear one...people can decide for themselves finally.

• Like 4

Thanks for the thorough review! We sail the 4 night on March 21, and our previous cruise was on Victory a few months before she went to Spain for the refurb. I'm excited to see the changes. As this is the spring break week for a lot of people, I'm anticipating a full house. Hope not, though!

7 hours ago, SuperCatMom2 said:

That was always a crazy thing about Fantasy class. With balconies so scarce, there’s a massive difference in price for them. The premium is a lot less on ships with a plethora. I’ve seen balconies go for more on Fantasy class than on much newer ships for roughly the same dates and itinerary.

I have a question… We are boarding on Monday the 6th for four days.  We are from Canada and need to get a rapid test before boarding out homeward flight out of LAX. 

Do you know if disembarking passengers can get a rapid COVID test there at the port in Long Beach.  I saw on YouTube where people were getting test to get ON THE SHIP.  Wondering if people getting off can pay for a test there?  Do you know?

Enjoy your cruise.  THX. MARK