Online covid testing experience

ravenjls

We took our online video covid testing with Inspire this morning for our cruise on Saturday.  I would just like to say that it couldnt have been any easier.  He walked us thru each step (which wasnt many) and then confirmed we were negative.  Afterward he remained online to make sure we received our results for NCL by email.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I ordered from emed and the tests were shipped overnight within a day.  However, Fedex is terrible so it took about 4 days to get them which is super annoying considering emed charged me $30 for overnight shipping.

Other than that the process of taking the test was pretty simple and easy.  The app did give us some trouble scanning the bar code of the test, but they had a workaround in place and figured it out within a few minutes.  

2 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

How long did it take to get the tests once you ordered them?

We ordered eMed (we used Royal Caribbean link because it allows ordering smaller quantities). Shipped next day via 2 day service via FedEx. Our medical insurance paid the entire cost (even though they are only legally required to cover the first $12). 

The process was fast and easy. Sat at the dining table with my phone propped up. 15 minutes of “cooking” and the report was emailed to me. 

We received our test kits about 3 weeks ago.  We used Inspire since they partnered with NCL.  Husband and I could do the test at the same time (literally we did it together).  It took no more than 15 minutes from start to finish. They send you a link that you click on and the video chat opens up on your computer (or phone).  We did not have to scan anything.  The guy knew exactly who we were from the link they sent us.

Edited by ravenjls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ravenjls said:

We received our test kits about 3 weeks ago.

Thank you for the information about the Inspire tests. How long did it take to receive the tests after you ordered them? Were they shipped FedEx or by another method? 

37 minutes ago, bajabirdy said:

Thank you for the information about the Inspire tests. How long did it take to receive the tests after you ordered them? Were they shipped FedEx or by another method? 

We booked late so they were sent out the next day and we received them very quickly but I think they say they normally send them out approximately 2-3 weeks before cruise. They were shipped FEDEX...we received an email when shipped from Inspire and also an email from FEDEX letting me know exactly what day they were delivering the kit.

Edited by ravenjls

Thanks for the info! The number of testing sites around here is dwindling so we ordered Inspire kits. It’s nice to hear they won’t sign off until you get your results and are partnered with NCL. Looks like we just have to click a Zoom link at our scheduled time! Sounds easy. 

28 minutes ago, JeninIndy said:

Thanks for the info! The number of testing sites around here is dwindling so we ordered Inspire kits. It’s nice to hear they won’t sign off until you get your results and are partnered with NCL. Looks like we just have to click a Zoom link at our scheduled time! Sounds easy. 

Yes thats all....you select a date and time when you sign up and then they will send a reminder 1 week ahead, 1 day ahead and 1 hour ahead.  In the reminder email is the link to the video chat.  Super easy!

Definitely sounds like a better experience than emed.  It wasn't bad at all, but took almost an hour and a half for three of us to test one at a time.  I didn't want to risk signing in on multiple devices at the same time and having some issue.

Just now, JustSomeLady said:

I have a question about emed. Do I have to make an appointment to test or just click ready to test on the app? Are there hours for testing?

Just click ready to test.  Pretty sure it's 24 hours as they leverage off shore resources.  I only waited a couple minutes to start each time, but we did do it early in the morning so I'm not sure if that had an impact

Just now, jstewartgt said:

Just click ready to test.  Pretty sure it's 24 hours as they leverage off shore resources.  I only waited a couple minutes to start each time, but we did do it early in the morning so I'm not sure if that had an impact

Thank you. 

Thank you for the information on Inspire testing.  We decided this would be the easiest for us due to the lack of covid testing sites in our area.  I have ordered and registered for my DH and I.  

I do have a question, can the proctoring be done by using my phone?  I don't plan on having a computer with me when I travel?  We would test in our hotel room as we will be arriving a few days before our cruise.

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

I do have a question, can the proctoring be done by using my phone?  I don't plan on having a computer with me when I travel?  We would test in our hotel room as we will be arriving a few days before our cruise.

Yes as long as you have an internet connection and do a video call/connection with a smart phone.  You can NOT do an audio only/phone call.   

Can anyone share what the shipping cost is for the e-med 6 pack that is available using the link from NCL? Just trying to determine if I want to go with the Optum Store option for $69 for 2 with free shipping (we would need 2 kits for a total of 4 tests) or the added cost to get 2 more for future use. And thank you to @BirdTravelsfor sharing the Optum/RC option.

4 minutes ago, wacruiselover said:

Can anyone share what the shipping cost is for the e-med 6 pack that is available using the link from NCL? Just trying to determine if I want to go with the Optum Store option for $69 for 2 with free shipping (we would need 2 kits for a total of 4 tests) or the added cost to get 2 more for future use. And thank you to @BirdTravelsfor sharing the Optum/RC option.

$17.10 shipping for the 6 tests. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Married90 said:

Yes as long as you have an internet connection and do a video call/connection with a smart phone.  You can NOT do an audio only/phone call.   

Thank you

1 hour ago, jstewartgt said:

just keep in mind these tests do expire.  I think mine had about a year expiration, but that is not guaranteed.  

That's a very good point. Our second batch of tests we ordered had an expiration date of only 2 months or so from the date we received them so I'd recommend ordering them 3 or 4 weeks before you plan to use them to be on the safe side.

Edited by karmamule