Norwegian Joy - What is an enclosed balcony mean?

OttawaJohn

Cabin 14252, and noticed it says it's an enclosed balcony.  I can't find a good picture or solid explanation on what that means.  Sailed on another cruise line that listed it as enclosed and basically it meant we got a porthole on the balcony.  Anyone have good pics of what this looks like on the Joy or can explain?

Thanks in advance!

The only two enclosed balconies on Joy are 13108 and 13708, Haven forward penthouses. The angled balcony cabins simply have a very slightly obstructed view looking either forward or aft because of the wider partition. Not really that obstructed, though.

• Like 1

here is an exterior pic of the Joy, I have outlined where 14256 should be in red.  Looks as normal as can be to me, as do all the balconies around it.  Some travel agent websites will use general descriptions for ALL balcony rooms within a particular cruise barand (not even ship specific) as a CYA for themselves.  NCL cabin descriptions on their website are notorious for having misinformation/bad descriptions as well.

image.png.9b3e37dfea0eef1fd2bce76d78e6fdf0.png

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

be careful when booking. I just realized I've got two balcony rooms and both are the 'privasea' enclosed ones. Terrible. Tried to change but they say the ship is sold out. There is no way i would have booked these rooms and the agent didn't tell me about the way the balcony is. I'm disgusted.

11 minutes ago, megan400 said:

be careful when booking. I just realized I've got two balcony rooms and both are the 'privasea' enclosed ones. Terrible. Tried to change but they say the ship is sold out. There is no way i would have booked these rooms and the agent didn't tell me about the way the balcony is. I'm disgusted.

You're probably worried about nothing. The only 2 actual PrivaSea balconies on Joy are Haven Suites that are directly under the bridge (13108/13708). NCL has the PrivaSea symbol in many places on the deck plan where it isn't actually PrivaSea. 

18 minutes ago, megnyc said:

I hope you're right. I called the consultant who booked us and he said they were the privasea cabins. The deck map says they are as well. rooms 12936 and 12938.

What exactly is your issue? I've stayed in quite a few on other ships and find them actually nice. But then I tend to sail "cold-weather" cruises - Alaska, Iceland, Antarctica - and find I can enjoy my balcony even in bad weather.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, julig22 said:

What exactly is your issue? I've stayed in quite a few on other ships and find them actually nice. But then I tend to sail "cold-weather" cruises - Alaska, Iceland, Antarctica - and find I can enjoy my balcony even in bad weather.

I had an enclosed balcony on one cruise and loved it. My mom hated it though. I'm tall enough to see over the railing but she had to sit on pillows.

1 hour ago, megnyc said:

I hope you're right. I called the consultant who booked us and he said they were the privasea cabins. The deck map says they are as well. rooms 12936 and 12938.

An angled balcony is not obstructed nor is it PrivaSea. An angled balcony is about 50% larger than standard but doesn't cost more.

Neither 12936 nor 12938 is PrivaSea.

18 minutes ago, Andoria said:

I had an enclosed balcony on one cruise and loved it. My mom hated it though. I'm tall enough to see over the railing but she had to sit on pillows.

Not all enclosed balconies have the closed-in bottom. This is from the Star, I believe it is similar to what is on the Joy (as opposed to the what's on the Epic video)

DSCN2782.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you both. I really wish they'd correct their deck plans. It clearly says 'privasea' on our cabins and even the cruise consultants said they were..AND just looking at our booking receipts: it says in red that it's an enclosed balcony.

Very confusing and not the best advertising on their part.

12 minutes ago, megan400 said:

Thank you both. I really wish they'd correct their deck plans. It clearly says 'privasea' on our cabins and even the cruise consultants said they were..AND just looking at our booking receipts: it says in red that it's an enclosed balcony.

Very confusing and not the best advertising on their part.

Joy has more deck plan errors than other NCL ships. It has gone through many changes since it was built but the PrivaSea symbol errors freak people out the most.

I have one of those booked on the Pearl, aft.  Looking forward to a different type of balcony.  The cruise is a Western ( or is it Eastern?) Caribbean.  I chose this type of balcony because I am prone to skin cancers, and I thought this would be the best way to have a balcony, and not be too worried about staying out of the sun.  When on land, I will have my face, ears, neck slathered in sun screen ( bio-degradable, in case I go into the water), and a hat.  I already have the long sleeve swim shirt.

• Like 1

We were just on the Joy in 12892. Labeled a PrivaSea cabin on the deck plans, but we knew from looking at exterior photos of the ship that it would be an angled balcony.  The only "obstructed" view is that you had to peek around the wall between our balcony and the balcony beside us to see forward, but that wall also dramatically cut the wind down while we were underway.  The balcony was about 50% larger than a normal mid-ship balcony.