If one tests positive, is entire stateroom denied boarding?

Well, now that it's almost here, the inevitable paranoia about one of our family of 4 being an asymptomatic positive is creeping in. I know that in the event of one of us testing positive, we are all eligible for a refund. But my question is whether some of us could board.

We are one family, in one cabin but actually flying in from 3 places.  My husband flew to NY this morning for work this week and took a rapid this morning to confirm he is currently negative.  My oldest attends college out of state and will do a rapid test before she flies down. They are both flying in from separate states Friday before our cruise Saturday and will do the proctored rapid test at the hotel.  My younger son and I are testing at Walgreens before we fly down Friday night. I'm just thinking through the possibilities and making sure I understand.  (1) If my younger son or I tests positive, can my older daughter and husband still board if they are negative or are we all automatically denied? (2) conversely, if my husband or daughter tests positive, can my younger son and I still board?

1 minute ago, BuckeyeCruisejunkie said:

We are one family, in one cabin but actually flying in from 3 places.

Unless you don't declare any positive test and have them be a no show, there are no partial denials in one cabin - it's an all or nothing situation.

• Like 1

I trust Biker’s knowledge of partial denials.  I have a separate thought.  I am assuming you will be honest on the health questionnaire.  I think it would be perilous not be honest, as health authorities receive lab covid reports; you could quickly be suspected via contact tracing if there were a ship outbreak (coincidental or otherwise).

Several days in NY likely will not matter if you, your husband and your son have been in contact with one another within about 14 days (IIRC) I think a positive test from any one of you will impact all three…AsI recall there is a question of the health questionnaire if you have had contact with somebody with positive covid or covid symptoms within 14 days.  That question would gut the family cruise if any of the three tested positive (unless I have the question wrong or hubby has been out of home longer).

If daughter has been consistently away at school for more than 14 days, and she tests positive, perhaps she could be a no show.  The rest of you could still pass that question on the questionnaire.

I hope everyone is negative and you have a wonderful family cruise.

If the person who tested positive didn't have any contact with the others in the cabin, theoretically the others could still sail. But the positive person would have to be a no show and thus lose their fare.

If the positive person wants their money back no one in the cabin is sailing. 

• Like 2

Since you’re all flying down the day before your cruise, I would have each person get their official pre-cruise antigen test on Thursday at a local CVS, Walgreens, etc.  That way you’ll find out everyone’s results before ANY of you fly to the port on Friday. 

In answer to to your question, I think if you, your husband, or your son test positive, all 3 of you would be denied boarding since your husband will have only been away for a week.  I don’t know if your daughter is old enough to cruise alone or if she’d even want to.

I hope you all test negative and can have a great family cruise!

Ah yes that's a good point about the husband. They ask if you've been around anyone that tested positive in the last 14 days. So if dad was positive mom and son would have to answer yes to that question and visa versa. 

Edited by smplybcause