Which Night to Dine at TK Grill

skybluewaters

1 hour ago, LMB01 said:

We tend to book the first night because it is easier to get in and out - our goal is to be done in under an hour.  However, depending on what time your sail away is,  dining the first night could conflict with the sail away party if that is something you are interested in.

Agree with others who have not cared for the Caesar Salad - we had to send it back and order the basic salad - the dressing was just not to our liking.  That is purely a personal preference though - we have seen many, many others that love it and rave about it.

Under an hour.  Wow - that is the opposite of what we want when we dine, regardless of on land or sea, enjoy some cocktails / wine and not be rushed.  But to each their own. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janecambridge said:

I agree lincslady. The two we had onboard in TK were both perfect. 

I really hope for a perfect Caesar Salad next time!  It's not as if we don't know what it is supposed to taste like.  I think we all have had different people making the salad--and that has made a difference.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LMB01 said:

our goal is to be done in under an hour

Just curious (and not criticizing): why? Dinner on a high-end cruise ship is typically considered one of the key parts of the day, and most people view it as more of an experience than just quick sustenance. Why do you treat it as something you want to scoot into and out of as quickly as possible?

Editing to add: No need to reply; I read your post in a different thread about your desire to dine as early as possible and disinterest in many types of food. Got it!

Edited by cruiseej
  • Like 1

The problem for us - and others - was that we were being served by staff who had obviously not had enough training in making it with the ingredients in the correct order, and made in the correct way.  Our waitress was very nervous, and probably even forgot what she had been  taught.  I felt sorry for her, but I could have done a better job myself.

On 3/8/2022 at 1:08 AM, skybluewaters said:

Any advice on which night in a 14-day Alaska cruise would be best to dine at TKG? 

which cruise are you On. We are doing the 14 day Alaska cruise on odyssey departing on 1st july

2 hours ago, elisebev said:

which cruise are you On. We are doing the 14 day Alaska cruise on odyssey departing on 1st july

Odyssey 14-day cruise in September.  Similar itinerary to yours.

Maybe you could do a report from your cruise and let me know what you think.  Maybe even post some food pics!

Edited by skybluewaters

Just off the Ovation. Had two nights at TK. It was very good, but not particularly special. For us the "special" designation goes to the clam chowder and crab cake. Otherwise, the steak was like any high- end steakhouse, the dover sole was over cooked and as a result dry, the roast chicken was just that - a roast chicken, no better or worse than any quality restaurant. Having said all that, TK shouldn't be missed. The tableside preps are fun. Like anywhere you eat, there will be hits and misses. Just enjoy the hits when you find them.

• Like 1

We love the ice cream sundae, glazed carrots, sautéd spinach, creamed spinach, AND the caesar salad.  We also like the sole and the lobster, but are not crazy about the roast chicken. The steaks have always been good. A lot depends on who is in the kitchen.  One cruise everything was drowning in butter to the point that it was not enhancing the dishes at all.

So far as getting a reservation is concerned, we prebook our allotted weekly meals on line and if we feel like it, we stop by the host stand when they first open and ask if we can be accommodated that night. Often, we are able to get in either that night or the next.

We prefer the more intimate atmosphere on the Odyssey class ships to the larger grill on the big girls, but it always makes for a very pleasant evening.

Save room for the sundae!

Linda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1