Public skating

Do you have to wear rentals, or can you bring your own skates? My daughter's a figure skater and my son plays hockey, and they are appalled by the thought of rentals.

I hear a rumor that everyone must wear a helmet. Is this true? If so, can the hockey player bring his own? And also if so, I'm guessing my daughter will refuse to participate. LOL

I'm wondering about this too. My daughter also takes figure skating lessons, although she's not super advanced (waltz jumps, shoot the duck, that kind of thing), and she really would like to bring her skates if she can. She'd probably put up with the helmet if she had to but would really rather not. 

The free skate times are just a little novelty and not meant for "real skating".

Rink is small and they do not let you practice or do anything but skate around.

It is mostly little kids with walkers.

Sessions and are fairly short. 

2 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Do you have to wear rentals, or can you bring your own skates? My daughter's a figure skater and my son plays hockey, and they are appalled by the thought of rentals.

I hear a rumor that everyone must wear a helmet. Is this true? If so, can the hockey player bring his own? And also if so, I'm guessing my daughter will refuse to participate. LOL

I have a vlog on YouTube where we skated on Freedom last month. I think it's titled Last Night on Freedom or something like that.

I was able to bring my own skates. No problem. Yes, everyone had to wear a helmet. We also had to wear masks at the time, but I believe that is now gone. They have both figure skates and hockey skates to rent. Skates looked to be in good shape too.

They used to have ice time for skater skaters (rather than people just having fun), but this was early 2000s; it was the only way my coach would let me gone a week during competition season.

not sure if they still have ice time like that though. Agree that it wouldn’t be worth bringing your own skates just for the open skate on the tiny rink.

• Like 2

Her coach's bon voyage party is tonight, and she joins the Harmony skating cast this weekend, so I'll see if I can reach her in a few weeks and see what she says.

Obviously she's getting a new coach for these 9 months but she's sad.

I was a competitive skater until about 6 years ago.  I was doing most doubles and was not allowed to do ANYTHING at all.  No jumps or spins, had to wear a helmet.  I left my skates at home and just decided to enjoy the cruise.  Sadly the week before the cruise I had a skate life ending injury and no longer skate.  This was 2016.