2 Itineraries-please advise

Zzhanna2000

We want to take round cruse from Vancouver on July 23 or July24 for 8 days

Have 2 options

1.Royal Caribbean on July24-and this date works better for us 

Sitka,Tracy Arm,Juneau,Hubbard Glacier, Ketchikan and 2 sea days

2.Holland America on July23

Tracy Arm,Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and 2 sea days

The main difference  Royal Caribbean have Sitka and no Skagway-but I read Hubbard Glacier is worth to see.

Price almost the same.Can you please help me with Pros and Cons.Thank you

Edited by Zzhanna2000

I have been to all the places on both itineraries, and I concur that Holland America’s itinerary would be preferable (to me at least).

I found Skagway to be a fascinating town, with much of the gold rush atmosphere. There’s also the chance to take the White Pall Railroad on a beautiful ride through valleys and passes.

Sitka is also in a lovely location, and has a few vestiges from the Russian era, plus a nice totem pole walk at the National historical monument grounds.

Hubbard Glacier is indeed scenic, but I believe the experience at Glacier Bay National Park is truly superior. The ship usually picks up a park ranger who narrates the scenic cruise through the inlets and glaciers. Holland America traditionally serves bowls of Dutch split pea soup to enjoy on the promenade deck while cruising In Glacier Bay!

Enjoy your cruise - both itineraries will leave you with great memories!

I agree with those above, Holland America's itinerary would be preferable to me.  Skagway is a don't miss stop in my opinion.  The town is really neat and the train ride is beautiful.  I've only been once and haven't been to Sitka or Hubbard Glacier so I can't speak to them, but if it were me, I'd go with the HAL trip, as long as the date works ok for you!

Congratulations on your future cruise. No need to second guess your choice, either. There would be pros and cons for any cruise line, ship, itinerary.  

When I sailed to AK, I said that no one needs to sail to AK two years in a row. Then I ended up doing it three years in a row - and twice after that. And I am still plotting more returns. If you don’t love it enough to go back, it doesn’t matter which cruise you went on.  If you do love it, you can pick a different itinerary in the future. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our very first Alaska cruise took to Hubbard Glacier and it was fabulous!!!

If this is your first time to Alaska, I really do not think you can go wrong. However, I do know that

the nature programs and narrators on Princess are the best, IMHO.

2 hours ago, Zzhanna2000 said:

We booked Koningsdam July23-30

So the next question is how do you want to spend your Tracy Arm/Juneau day?

Your Tracy Arm stop on the itinerary does NOT take you into Tracy Arm.  It's a symbolic 15 minute stop in Holkham Bay for those that sign up for the Tracy Arm explorer excursion.

Edited by xlxo